How is the ground clearance on Transit Connect?

Loki C346

• 1 month later...

A van with a mild stance.. True it is or can be low and one should approach speed clamming hums, etc with caution. Not because of the rocker panels.. but because of the resonator which is located in the center/middle of the van. The resonator has been installed with a nasty forward slant or tilt. Which I don't like and would opt to replace it if given the chance.

I have seen after market slider/side rails for the van but I'm not sure I would attach these and force the van even lower. Once my projective was to lift the van slightly by adding larger tires. But this had become a nightmare. The wheel well is very limited but some say (paper work wise) that a 26.1 tire will fit within that tight space. I'm not willing to explore that option.. But we did opt for better wheels and tires.

So as long as you approach the hump/curb etc at an angle, things should be fine.. We've drive out TC 13K and have not had any issue with extreme dips etc.. though I do see some scuff marks on the left and right lower front air dams. Underneath of course.

• 3 years later...

The ground clearance is great for paved smooth roads. My Transit Connect SWB wagon embarrassed me in a grass parking lot

at the FE Ford Reunion 2018. 

It was the only vehicle there that bellied out like a turtle on top of a fence post.

Other than that it is probably the best all around vehicle I ever owned.

• 2 years later...

The only issue we've had with ground clearance is that there these air dam things mounted in the front wheel wells that drag the ground upon entering or exiting sharp angled drive ways. With the new wheels & tires, the van will be lifted 3/4 of an inch, but I may resort to removing these air dam things anyway.

Edited by Lost In Transit

• 1 year later...