VW caught cheating on emissions

92merc

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation that the Porsche diesels are also impacted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-says-more-vehicles-have-emissions-software-issues-1448046806?mod=pls_whats_news_us_business_f

Volkswagen AG told regulators this week that another 75,000 diesel vehicles sold in the U.S. contain software that government officials have said can evade emissions tests, though it isn’t clear the car maker agrees the software is illegal.

The Environmental Protection Agency and California regulators said on Friday that all 2009-2016 Volkswagen, Audi and Porsche diesel models with three-liter engines contain software regulators previously alleged could dupe emissions tests, a violation of U.S. and state clean-air laws.

Observation of an acquaintance of mine: "Recall that Porsche & VW proudly had a man name Joachim Peiper run key units for them. Lesson: German car companies do whatever they want ... Who is Joachim Peiper? Why he was a Waffen SS panzer leader who would execute his own men for taking prisoners."

https://twitter.com/SIRF_Report

Confirmation that the Porsche diesels are also impacted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-says-more-vehicles-have-emissions-software-issues-1448046806?mod=pls_whats_news_us_business_f

Observation of an acquaintance of mine: "Recall that Porsche & VW proudly had a man name Joachim Peiper run key units for them. Lesson: German car companies do whatever they want ... Who is Joachim Peiper? Why he was a Waffen SS panzer leader who would execute his own men for taking prisoners."

https://twitter.com/SIRF_Report

And for once, I think Bob Lutz was accurate with his criticism of VW's oppressive management and its unrealistic goals..

A sitiation like this was just waiting to happen with such a hierarchical attitude, make it happen or else...

Seems the ball is rolling on fixes for EU

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2015/11/25/volkswagen-fix-recall-emissions-scandal-europe/76359764/

If this is all it took for these... I just can't understand why they would have done this whole "cheat software"...

For 1.6-liter engines, it requires a "flow transformer" to be affixed in front of the air mass sensor.

"This is a mesh that calms the swirled air flow in front of the air mass sensor and will thus decisively improve the measuring accuracy of the air mass sensor," VW said in a statement. "The air mass sensor determines the current air mass throughput, which is a very important parameter for the engine management for an optimum combustion process."

A software update is also required to fix those vehicles, which will take an hour to fix altogether. Cars with 2-liter engines will get only a software update, requiring half an hour of time in the shop. The company is still developing a fix for 1.2-liter, 3-cylinder engines and will propose that alteration later this month.

Edited by blwnsmoke

• 2 weeks later...

I still don't believe them...

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/vw-chairman-says-winning-back-trust-top-priority-102610425--finance.html

WOLFSBURG, Germany (Reuters) - Volkswagen said on Thursday only a small group of employees was responsible for cheating U.S. diesel emissions tests and there was no indication board members were involved in the biggest business crisis in the carmaker's history.

Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch said investigations into the affair were going well, but the scandal was the result of a "chain of errors" and it would still take months to say which individuals were to blame.

Europe's biggest motor manufacturer said it had agreed steps to improve oversight of engine-software development to avoid any future emissions test manipulations.

It also hoped to reach agreement with U.S. environmental authorities in the next few days or weeks so the company can start to recall affected cars there. Cooperation with those authorities was described as "excellent".

I was just coming to post a different article basically stating the same thing.. have to really laugh at their response.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/volkswagen-says-diesel-cheating-result-152502135.html

Volkswagen says it has completed an internal investigation into the causes behind the diesel-emissions scandal that has dogged it for over two months. The company claims a “chain of errors” led to the installation of “defeat device” software in 11 million cars worldwide.

The software allowed diesel cars to cheat on emissions tests by turning on pollution-control systems only during testing periods. Volkswagen blames the situation largely on the misconduct of individual employees, lack of oversight in its own internal testing processes, and strict U.S. emissions standards.

LOL.. really?? It's the U.S's fault that you had to cheat?? Maybe they should sue the U.S. for making them cheat to recoup some of the expense.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Saying that no board members knew of the malfeasance is truly astounding straw-man-gamesmanship.

Nobody on the planet cares whether the BoD knew. They're not going to be liable.

And this business of blaming the government agencies that are assembling the case against you?

That's not going to end well at all--the courts, in general, do not look kindly on people who disobey laws simply because they don't like them.

Saying that no board members knew of the malfeasance is truly astounding straw-man-gamesmanship.

Nobody on the planet cares whether the BoD knew. They're not going to be liable.

And this business of blaming the government agencies that are assembling the case against you?

That's not going to end well at all--the courts, in general, do not look kindly on people who disobey laws simply because they don't like them.

Equally, I find it staggering for VW to suggest this was the work of a few rogue engineers.

I call bullshit on this, knowing what we do about the culture at VW,

these guys don't do anything without instruction.

For VW to suggest that senior people didn't encourage this and maintain

the strategy for years is laughable, these are the same people who denied

the engineers access to AdBlue tech sighting it as too expensive ($300/car)

at a time when VW wanted to save money..

And VW only told the "truth" on this after they exhausted all other lies and misdirection,

so are we really going to believe a corporate that has used obfuscation to minimize

it management's exposure to this problem?

Edited by jpd80

It's my understanding that the U.S. does, in fact, have significantly-stricter laws concerning diesel emissions than Europe does, only making allowances for trucks. Unless they are relaxed at least a little bit, it is nearly impossible to meet the US emissions requirements AND make competitive power and consumption figures without urea injection or similar "scrubber" technologies, which add cost, complexity, and gives you yet one more fluid level to keep your eye on...

Mad about the lack of selection of high-mpg diesel passenger cars? Thank your government!

It's my understanding that the U.S. does, in fact, have significantly-stricter laws concerning diesel emissions than Europe does, only making allowances for trucks. Unless they are relaxed at least a little bit, it is nearly impossible to meet the US emissions requirements AND make competitive power and consumption figures without urea injection or similar "scrubber" technologies, which add cost, complexity, and gives you yet one more fluid level to keep your eye on...

Mad about the lack of selection of high-mpg diesel passenger cars? Thank your government!

So, you think we need smog days like Paris and Bejing?

Don't want to pay for clean air? Ride a bicycle.

It's my understanding that the U.S. does, in fact, have significantly-stricter laws

Correct--in that US laws do not make exceptions for diesel vehicles. Somehow, requiring diesel vehicles to have the same emissions profile as gas powered vehicles is unfair (US standards are also, generally, more strict, and the test regimen is far more rigorous).

And that is, frankly, immaterial. The law is the law, and VW cannot fob off their refusal to obey the law on the law itself. "Your honor, I can't be held responsible for stealing that car. I wanted it, and the only way I could have it was by taking it without paying for it."

Edited by RichardJensen

Correct--in that US laws do not make exceptions for diesel vehicles. Somehow, requiring diesel vehicles to have the same emissions profile as gas powered vehicles is unfair (US standards are also, generally, more strict, and the test regimen is far more rigorous).

And that is, frankly, immaterial. The law is the law, and VW cannot fob off their refusal to obey the law on the law itself. "Your honor, I can't be held responsible for stealing that car. I wanted it, and the only way I could have it was by taking it without paying for it."

I'm not saying they were right to do it, but I do think we are seeing another classic case of the emissions standards getting ahead of the technology and feasibility of existing technologies to meet those standards. Combine that with a corporate culture that, according to several sources, (Bob Lutz most notably) was run with an iron fist ("find a way to make this work, or I'll find someone else who will") and I cannot say I am the slightest bit surprised at any of this.

Note that VW/Audi/etc were some of the biggest proponents of diesel passenger cars here. Mercedes made a play of it as well, but with higher-maintenance, more costly systems. Very few others even bothered doing diesel here. Now the "why" of it is plain for all to see.

So, you think we need smog days like Paris and Bejing?

Don't want to pay for clean air? Ride a bicycle.

So, because I suggested that the EPA standards were too strict for most automakers to comply with, and are far more strict than is necessary to maintain or improve our air quality, I somehow want everyone to breathe smog?

Wow...

If you want anyone to take you seriously, try acting your age, not your shoe size!