Dealership Fraud

Rob Ertb

I have a 2012 Ford Focus SE I had custom ordered and took a four year lease plus a 1 month extension, my original intent was to purchase the vehicle and took the extension in order to get the financing available to buy out in cash from the dealership.

Ford credit lists my Extended Purchase Option Price at $8,740.62

I am dealing with:

Pine Tree Ford Lincoln

100 Auto Park Circle

Woodbridge Ontario L4L 9T5

MSRP sent to me in writing : $10, 772.74

Pine Tree has added a charge of $2,032.12 for paperwork or in other words a 23% premium onto my costs. Quote #9847954

I have all of this in writing from both Ford Credit and Pine Tree.

A heads up to anyone contemplating doing business with them as to their business practices.

Robert G. Boyko

I have been in contact with Ford Credit, FMC and the dealership.

Ford credit says its a dealer issue, the dealer says the MSRP is the price they received from ford plus a $500.00 fee for administrative costs and refuses to look at the original lease contract. FMC denies even having any information on my buyout and blames the dealership.

I have registered a complaint with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council, ref# 10563 and am awaiting their response.

Currently I will be returning the car tomorrow as the lease is up on September 25 and refusing to pay any charges for additional Kilometers or any other charges, they can take me to court.

I have my original lease document, and a Lease end Extension notice directly from Ford credit, I already have the lease end price documented from Ford Credit. I have all the information I need already in writing and will be using it for the purposes of making my claim to the OMVIC.

I took this car on X-plan as my father is retired from the PDC in Bramalea, Ontario. I know who to contact and have all the documentation I need to fight this.

Status Update:

The matter is still not resolved but this will be my last post on it. A quick word on doing due diligence in a lease purchase.

The matter came down to a dispute over the msrp the dealer claims to have received from Ford Credit and the actual wording of the document they receive which when printed off has 2 pages.

On the first page contains your unpaid cap costs and taxes.

At first I received a bill of sale with the msrp being the unpaid cap + taxes

the next bill of sale I received was the msrp - taxes

the actual msrp is derived on page 2 where it is the adjusted cap costs - unpaid cap costs

• 4 weeks later...

It's finally over after 2 months of dealing with Pine Tree. After 2 trips to the dealer with a certified cheque for $10, 252.20 and being thrown out each time I got the deal moved to another dealership, for those of you contemplating whether Pine Tree was trying to defraud me I now own my previously leased car, I paid $9902.19 to get the deal done, no dealer administration fess, same as what Pine Tree claimed to be charging me. I hate being scammed, but what I hate more is when ignorant people think they can get me. Pine Tree is a fraud, why they are allowed to operate under the BLUE OVAL is a disgrace to the company and honest dealerships everywhere.

Edited by Rob Ertb

• 3 weeks later...

so you paid $80k more than Pinetree...lol, sorry, you mis typed. Anyways, Im confused...Ive never seen an Msrp on any Ford vehicle for 25 years...are you referring to residual?.....also, For as long as I remember, until recently, ford never offered 48 month leases...they went 39 month max...48 mothers have just come back. Irrespective...on your contract is a box which states your lease term buyout, a dealer is obliged ( at least here in California ) to sell it at that figure, which usually encompasses a $500 fee, and THATS capped. So, this leads me to believe theres a little more to this story than how it reads on the surface......glad it worked out, but I cant draw judgment without knowing the full story.

so you paid $80k more than Pinetree...lol, sorry, you mis typed. Anyways, Im confused...Ive never seen an Msrp on any Ford vehicle for 25 years...are you referring to residual?.....also, For as long as I remember, until recently, ford never offered 48 month leases...they went 39 month max...48 mothers have just come back. Irrespective...on your contract is a box which states your lease term buyout, a dealer is obliged ( at least here in California ) to sell it at that figure, which usually encompasses a $500 fee, and THATS capped. So, this leads me to believe theres a little more to this story than how it reads on the surface......glad it worked out, but I cant draw judgment without knowing the full story.

He's in Toronto, Canada. Dealers and Ford of Canada do things differently. Laws and marketplace have different too.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the typo dean, it was $9902.19 . As was pointed out I do live in Canada so California and US law are irrelevant here. I have taken a 48 month lease on my previous 3 vehicles, so as far as I know its the norm here, MSRP appears in an invoice up here and is a combination of residual and dealer fees, there is no cap on dealer fees and are arbitrary. I had asked for a detailed invoice rather than the original document they first sent me with an MSRP of $10,772 in addition I was charged OMVIC fee (ONTARIO motor vehicle industry council), licensing fees and taxes, 6% federal and 7% provincial. the grand total at the bottom of that document was $12,208.85

So from the original invoice from Pine tree of $12,208.85 (when I first called to inquire about the inflated costs I was told by the Pine Tree representative Tony Calabretta that "the price is the price" to which I replied while staring at my original leased document something to the effect that you may need to verify those numbers and possibly look at the original documents you have, to which he refused and dismissed my concerns. It was not until the next day when I sent a notice in writing in conjunction with OMVIC that they actually looked at the deal they presented my and noticed they were off by thousands.) to my buyout from Bourgeois Motors for $9902.19 ended up being a difference of $2,306.66

$2,306.66 would be the money Pine Tree would have pocketed from the deal if I let them defraud me as is their way. My buyout from Bourgeois did not include a dealership fee

So again, Pine Tree was going to have me pay an additional $2306.66 above residual, if that's not fraud I don't know what is

$2,306.66 would be the money Pine Tree would have pocketed from the deal if I let them deIt MAY have been fraud in fraud me as is their way.

I'm happy to hear it was resolved satisfactorily in your favor. But what you have here is an anecdote, not evidence of something that "is their way". You have no evidence showing systemic fraud by this dealership. It MAY have been fraud in your specific case but the lesson you're attempted to teach is one that can be applied to any dealership in any situation: Pay attention to the figures and don't let someone blow you off without at least a valid explanation.

No, I have evidence of systematic fraud, 3 separate invoices, 2 itemized from pine tree for incorrect residual value which they said came directly from Ford Credit, an e-mail from the sales manager agreeing to my figures after sending them copies of my original lease document, I even have an e-mail from the GM of the dealership telling his staff to push the sale through and eat up any perceived losses on their part which never existed. After all their lies that the price they were charging me was simply the residual cost of the vehicle owed to Ford credit, what they called their "obligation" plus the bare minimal fees for OMVIC and licensing I still refused to get taken by them and when I finally was allowed to go to another dealership to close the deal it was completed within 48 hours at a residual value below what Pine Tree professed was the "obligation" they had to Ford Credit. So if I now own the car after paying a lower residual value to Ford Credit than what Pine Tree claimed and repeatedly stated was their "obligation" to Ford Credit that is by definition a misrepresentation of the charges of a third party in an attempt to defraud me. Its one thing to claim "that is what I am charging you, deal with it", its something completely different when a dealership tells you this is the price demanded by Ford credit when you have gone so far as to have a representative from Ford Credits lease liquidation department call the sales manager and leave a voice mail with the residual for a specific VIN, that is something Ford Credit has on record.

Pine Tree is a Fraud, I have told the staff and GM in writing, I have posted the comment on their social media feeds in unambiguous language, and let me tell you as honestly as I can that if I had gone after you and consistently called you out for being a fraud as directly and as often as I have with Pine Tree as I will continue to always due using the most direct language I can if I were wrong you could easily hit me with defamation, the problem is you can't go after a person for defamation if they are telling the truth, have it in writing, signed, and have a third party, independent of the other 2, in my case I not only have Ford Credit but OMVIC, to back up your case.

PINE TREE FORD is a FRAUD