Windshield Replacement - Lane Departure

jinx8402

So I had to have my windshield replaced, and now my Lane Departure is not working. I have the company that installed it coming back out to look at it early next week (they are completely booked the next few days). Any thoughts on what it could have been? I'm figuring it's just an alignment issue.

One downside of all the tech in the car is the complication of it all.

Everything is plugged in, I double checked that. When I press the button the gray lines appear, but it almost never turns green (when it sees the lane markings). I say almost because once or twice it flashed one side green but did not stay on. So it is "working" just not correctly. That is why I was thinking it's an alignment issue.

RTFM!!!!

Why is the feature not available (line markings are gray) when I can see the lane markings on the road?

Transitioning between no lane markings to lane markings or vice versa

Standing water on the road Faint lane markings (partial yellow lane markings on concrete roads)

Lane width too narrow or too wide

Camera not calibrated after a windshield replacement

When driving on tight roads or on uneven roads

So how exactly does one calibrate the camera? Or is this a Ford service trip?

• 3 months later...

So a rock hit my windshield this morning and a small crack spread from it (3 inches). I scheduled Safelite and figured I'd be good. I come out after work and it has tripled in size!! I suspect the whole thing will need to be replaced since Safelite said they only repair under a dollar bill size.

I also have the camera / lane departure system. Do you have any tips for replacing the windshield / getting the camera calibrated? I'm also worried about the rain sensor / any sound isolation the factory one provides (acoustic laminated I believe it's called, not sure if our fusions have that). Thanks!

Edited by deadman64

Find a new insurance company?

Probably too late in this case :) .

I sent a PM, but will post here as well for future posters who may have a similar question.

I did not go through a dealership directly (my decision based on what I thought was convenience at the time). The lane keeping system did eventually seem to "calibrate itself". Not entirely sure how, but it did. Auto high beams were still a bit wonky so I did take the dealership which they checked and recalibrated to factory spec for me.

In the future, if your insurance allows it, I would just go through the dealership to not have to bring it in again for calibration. At the very least, if you go non OEM you will probably want to take it in to get calibrated.

The company I went through confirmed all the options, including the sound proofing in the windshield. Car is just as quiet as factory.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very late to this topic. I had the windshield replaced in mine. Paid $618 out of pocket for OEM but with $500 glass deductible it was pretty much a wash. Glass shop refused to do repair outside of their shop due to the rain sensing wipers (they had never done one before - but were on point enough to ask me if I had it). Lane keeping and everything else works afterward.

Very late to this topic. I had the windshield replaced in mine. Paid $618 out of pocket for OEM but with $500 glass deductible it was pretty much a wash. Glass shop refused to do repair outside of their shop due to the rain sensing wipers (they had never done one before - but were on point enough to ask me if I had it). Lane keeping and everything else works afterward.

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Did you go to the dealer and get a calibration done then?

When I called my usual dealer they were like "uhhhh yeah we haven't done one but I'm sure we can figure it out - $125".

• 4 weeks later...

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. Did you go to the dealer and get a calibration done then?

When I called my usual dealer they were like "uhhhh yeah we haven't done one but I'm sure we can figure it out - $125".

No I did not have a calibration done. Had an OEM windshield installed by a small independent company - first one they had ever done. Owner had to study up on how to do it. Everything works the way it did before the windshield was fixed - lane departure, rain wipers, etc. Never tried the auto-dim headlights, I do not like them.

Edited by MountainLion

Never tried the auto-dim headlights, I do not like them.

If you've never tried them, how do you know you don't like them?

They work perfect for me. I've never had a situation where I had to dim them manually, including when following a vehicle.

If you've never tried them, how do you know you don't like them?

They work perfect for me. I've never had a situation where I had to dim them manually, including when following a vehicle.

I meant that I never tried them after I had the windshield replaced. Tried them when I first got it, would just rather control them myself.

• 3 weeks later...

For what it's worth: my windshield replacement went great and I did not have to go to the dealer for a calibration. Safelite installed an OEM windshield from Ford. Lane departure, and all of the other driver assist package features work great. So sounds like YMMV for whether you need the calibration or not (unless it had something to do with getting an OEM replacement).