Time to buy that new Ford

I can say from experience they were willing to offer crazy deals at the end of October. Had no intention of buying a new F150, but when they make an offer SIGNIFICANTLY below the used prices its hard to turn down. Like 33% off MSRP...

Details?

2015 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 3.5 EB. Cloth, no nav. Truth in advertising, it was actually closer to 30% off MSRP of $46k by the time discounts and rebates were factored in. Also depends on how you consider freight. Anyway, close to 500mi on it and averaging just over 21mpg according to the computer. Very pleased with that considering the amount of stop and go commuting traffic. Happy to be a Ford owner again.

• Like 1

I think what they will gain over the next 2 months will more then make up for the last 5 days of October.

I bet they are really pushing so F series numbers beat GM for the year having to make up ground from the plant being down for conversion and lack of inventory.

Year to date, Silvy + Sierra ~673K, F150 ~630K, so about 43K behind....

The problem for Ford Dealers is that advance word of this new "Friends & Neighbors" sale was leaked to the media and it could kill the end of month October sales which end on Monday, November 2nd because of the calendar. Why should anyone buy a new Ford this weekend when Ford's having this tremendous sale starting next Tuesday?

To ice and dean (and you other sales folks), is this new 'sale' increasing showroom traffic and sales?

Yeah that really isn't much of a sale. Any price over invoice really is a bad one in my opinion. Not that I think dealers don't deserve any profit, but there's a 3% cushion minimum at invoice that is pure profit. Add to that kickbacks for financing, warranties, dealer installed options etc. They can still make a pretty penny at invoice.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like this promo didn't work, ends Monday. http://www.autonews.com/article/20151127/RETAIL/151129886

Thanks for the Automotive News link, jasonj80. The last paragraph is particularly noteworthy:

Ford hoped the promotion would help generate strong sales to close out 2015, a year in which its market share has been flat. Forecasts from TrueCar and Edmunds.com show Ford’s share in November flat with a year ago and down from October -- an indication that the promotion had not panned out as much as executives had expected.

Looks like a sign of desperation among Ford Motor Company executives who have been unable to ameliorate several years of flat or declining market share in the USA. It will be interesting to see if the new "Holiday Sales Event" in December finally gives Ford the boost it needs.

Edited by aneekr

How is it a sign of 'desperation' for Ford to offer incentives that are lower than GM's?

If such actions constitute desperation on Ford's part, what do the sustained pattern of even higher incentives at GM indicate?

I think the marketing folks at Ford are committed to achieving revenue and market share goals any way they can, but their counterparts at GM are formidable competitors.

I do give credit to Ford for trying something different, and also for quickly recognizing when a marketing initiative, like the recent "Friends & Neighbors" program, is ineffective.

Edited by aneekr

Ford did set the precondition that incentive spend wouldn't increase, so I guess

that there's only so many ways you can dress the same final price.

Would attractive leasing be a better way to fly at this time of the year?

I thinking that no money down, a three month "holiday" on paymnets

and servicing all rolled into the package may be an easier sell....