Lincoln should restyle MKT and call it Continental X

I personally like MKT and feel that it fills a niche. With that said, I would love to see it restyled with Continental design cues including the grille and let it take its place as a luxury conveyance the gives space and style new meaning.

Just my thought. It can compete with this from Bentley....

Bentley-EXP-9-F-concept-placement2-626x3

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

I'm sure whatever form the next Explorer takes, there will be a Lincoln version. Whether it keeps the MKT name or not is up for debate but I don't think you need to worry that Ford is going walk away from the money that can be made from a "Continental SUV".

• 3 weeks later...

a convo elsewhere lead to this forecast of new models

calendar years
2013=MKZ
2014=MKC
2015=MKX
2016=MKZ & Continental
2017=Navigator
2018=MKC & MKX... one OR both on new platforms?
2019=Aviator... + new-or-mces for MKZ & Continental?
2020=The Other Thing

so
thinking FLincMoCo might not wait 3½-4 YEARS for cD6 to replace the MKT,
and made this chop today ..........attach not working :-(

...2nd try with photobucket:

http://i7/photobucket.com/albums/y286/2b2/15/PREviator-FIN_zpsdjisfocv.jpg[/img]

heck

.....LINK

Edited by 2b2

a convo elsewhere lead to this forecast of new models

calendar years

2013=MKZ

2014=MKC

2015=MKX

2016=MKZ & Continental

2017=Navigator

2018=MKC & MKX... one OR both on new platforms?

2019=Aviator... + new-or-mces for MKZ & Continental?

2020=The Other Thing

so

thinking FLincMoCo might not wait 3½-4 YEARS for cD6 to replace the MKT,

and made this chop today ..........attach not working :-(

...2nd try with photobucket:

http://i7/photobucket.com/albums/y286/2b2/15/PREviator-FIN_zpsdjisfocv.jpg[/img]

heck

.....LINK

You mean this? Definitely do-able...

PREviator-FIN_zpsdjisfocv.jpg

• Like 1

THANKS for posting the chop for me, twintornados thumb.gif

&

do-able VS will-do able

&

was thinking about grilles (*snip* hope it makes sense without original context)

that instead of having a different insert pattern for All Cuv/Suvs,

they could be assigned by size so

Navi & Aviator-class would use the original Continental StarShadow^

...imagining Navi/Aviator look very similar with Aviator being on-road, lower, maybe even roomier

MKX would share the "Z-interpretation" insert pattern (otherwise same^frontend?) and

MKC would get it's own sporty pattern (that might also serve for 'another' model later)

• 1 month later...

I have come close a couple of times to buying a used MKT. I see it as a posterchild example of where a "missed it by that much" design greatly ruined a very promising premise. The idea of a three-row CUV without useless but costly raised ground clearance should be very solid for the type of luxury car maker Lincoln wants to be. In our great-grandfathers' day, these weren't called estates or station wagons, they were touring cars and a symbol of high-end luxury. The MKT styling was a collection of nice old Lincoln cues that ended up looking awkward when put together and given the vehicle's proportions. The Volvo P2 platform, that morphed into D3 and then further into D4, wasn't quite up to the task. The engine choices spanned from mild and tired to bleeding edge and hotrod thirsty. The sweet spot was missed in the hollow gap between. As a greatly depreciated used car the MKT has appeal. At new prices, I am surprised they sell even what they do.

I see the Mazda CX-9 concept (the one unveiled in LA in November) as a example of the direction Lincoln should go. It is a very appealing attempt at a third row CUV and it could be surpassed. Lincoln could add a few more inches of wheelbase, a liitle width, and still have about $17K of MSRP to work with. The MKX and new 3.0 V6 should make for a good place to start. Add-in the Contental grill, rear lighting treatment, hood contours, and re-work the tiredly, derivative MKX fender surfacing, and it should be a hit.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner
  • Like 1

...In our great-grandfathers' day, these weren't called estates or station wagons, they were touring cars and a symbol of high-end luxury...

thumb.gif

I'd love to see any future "TC" (TownCar) instead called the "Touring Car"

...I see the Mazda CX-9 concept (the one unveiled in LA in November) as a example of the direction Lincoln should go. It is a very appealing attempt at a third row CUV and it could be surpassed. Lincoln could add a few more inches of wheelbase, a liitle width...

thumb.gif

Agree - been thinking of ultra-aero Cuvs along this line

I cannot see the MKT staying around any longer really from a sales point of view. Aside from that, the Aviator will displace it soon enough anyway.

I'm waiting to see if the Flex gets another JOB1 update.....

Robert... I guess you have more insight than us. But I thought Fields had said Lincoln is keeping the MK names and only Continental and Navigator will have names.

I agree MKT as is won't be around much longer (as long as Ford has spare capacity at Oakville to build Flex). I think MKT name gets resurrected when the next gen Explorer based model is ready.

Edited by bzcat

I cannot see the MKT staying around any longer really from a sales point of view. Aside from that, the Aviator will displace it soon enough anyway.

I'm waiting to see if the Flex gets another JOB1 update.....

Well, we know MKT is going to be replaced by Aviator. But, we're not sure when exactly it will arrive. 2018? 2019? 2020? The further out the Aviator is, the more an "emergency" refresh for MKT makes sense for them to try to salvage some sales. The interior of the MKT is very nice. It's the exterior that's by far the biggest problem. What has been proposed here is a last-ditch "emergency" refresh for it, not a new MKT (though some elsewhere have proposed a direct replacement alongside Aviator), in order to bridge the gap from now until the Aviator.

That's why I kept the same body in my chop - this would be strictly a new front end and revised rear to be a stop gap. How worth it would it be? I don't know. But I definitely see more of a case for an MKT with a new front/rear than I can for a minorly-changed Explorer-based Aviator as a stopgap.

Me too! I've said it before, but I would love to see a Gen 2 Flex. We love ours and would like to replace it with another new one in a few years.

It'd be interesting to see where they'd go design-wise with a second generation model. Other boxy vehicles have gone more curvy in second-gen models and have ended up looking bulbous (think Infiniti QX56 > QX80).

Robert... I guess you have more insight than us. But I thought Fields had said Lincoln is keeping the MK names and only Continental and Navigator will have names.

I agree MKT as is won't be around much longer (as long as Ford has spare capacity at Oakville to build Flex). I think MKT name gets resurrected when the next gen Explorer based model is ready.

Kumar Galhotra in an interview a few months back mentioned that they'd use names where they felt it appropriate, but that they also weren't going to just abandon the MK_ scheme. Over time, I see them transitioning the whole lineup back to names. But in the meantime, I think they want to continue with the current MK_ names in order to keep people familiar with the vehicles and the progress they've made. Dropping them right now looks like 'oh they gave up and started over again.'

Alternatively, the "core" lineup could stick with alphanumerics, while "flagship" (top tier) products get names.

Either way, I definitely think the "Aviator" name replaces MKT.

Kumar Galhotra said

• Like 1

Since the new model will be on a new platform there is no need to carry over the MKT name and there is already some heritage with Aviator. We liked our 2003 Aviator. Except for the poorly designed 4V head that had to be replaced (under warranty thankfully). And the coil pack that had to be replaced. And the brake problem. And the 3 or 4 other things that had to be fixed under warranty. Wait - can I change my answer?

...The further out the Aviator is, the more an "emergency" refresh for MKT makes sense...

...to bridge the gap from now until the Aviator...

...I definitely see more of a case for an ""MKT"" with a new front/rear than I can for a minorly-changed Explorer-based Aviator as a stopgap...

...Kumar Galhotra in an interview a few months back mentioned that they'd use names where they felt it appropriate...

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

I really want the ""MKT"" nomenclature gone & for a stop-gap, get rid of its form-factor completely by using a reskinned-Flex (better interior space too) & thumb.gif

...Navi, Conti, Aviator, & STARstangs get Names

the rest (that we know of) stay with MucK

imho bliss.gif

thumb.gif

thumb.gif

I really want the ""MKT"" nomenclature gone & for a stop-gap, get rid of its form-factor completely by using a reskinned-Flex (better interior space too) & thumb.gif

...Navi, Conti, Aviator, & STARstangs get Names

the rest (that we know of) stay with MucK

imho bliss.gif

You're asking for an all new vehicle at that point, though. Given the numbers Flex and MKT sell in, I don't think it'd do that well either. Yeah, it might bump up a bit, but not enough to justify it for a few model years.

And I agree about the names.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally like MKT and feel that it fills a niche. With that said, I would love to see it restyled with Continental design cues including the grille and let it take its place as a luxury conveyance the gives space and style new meaning.

Just my thought. It can compete with this from Bentley....Bentley-EXP-9-F-concept-placement2-626x3

That Bentley looks really hideous to me!

That Bentley looks more like a Jeep in a Tuxedo to me, I think the Aviator will complement the new Navigator

working together as more like Range Rover type vehicles.... by that time the MKT will be no more but until

then, an upgrade to the front could possibly add to sales and help erase some of the cars, negativity.

• 2 months later...

I totally agree with a lot of you guys here ... I think there is room for both the MKT and Aviator in the Lincoln lineup. I think the MKT should become an accessible bentley bentayga / range rover L fighter ... It should become the realized version of the original MKT concept that came out. It should be based on the new continental platform and could be called Town Car. Then they should also build the Aviator on the Continental platform as well.

I also think Lincoln should just stop with the whole front drive thing ... just freaking increase the price of all its vehicles and make them all AWD with Torque Vectoring !!!

I think they should just change the names of all the vehicles as well ... i think a mix of names and alphanumeric is great actually :)

MK S3 = Focus based sedan (250-350 hp for range) $29k - 45k

MK X3 = MKC

MK GT3 = Fous based hatch

MK S5 = MKZ (250-400hp for range) $39k - 55k

MK X5 = MKX

MK GT5 = Fusion based hatch/wagon

Mark C6 = Mustang Based Coupe (300-500hp for range) $45k - 65k

Mark S6 = Mustang Based Sedan

Mark X6 = Mustang Based Coupe Crossover

Continental = all new continental (300-450hp for range) $49k - 70

Town Car = MKT now based on continental (2 row only)

Aviator = three row crossover based on continental

Mountaineer = based on ford everest (300-500hp for range) $60k - 90

Navigator = 2017 redesign coming

Navigator LT = F250 based truck

Blackwood = Lincoln should partner with boat makers - create a pontoon, sail, and speedboat with lincoln integrated trailers that work with new trailer parking technology plus add integrated camera and parking sensors to the trailer itself

Edited by Taurian Guyton

Stop-Gaps that Lincoln should implement ASAP

This is the laundry list of things that need to be done to the MKT Town Car ... just call it the Town Car

1) take out the third row seats

2) push back the second row seats as they can

3) refresh the interior to the new lincoln standard of luxury

4) put the new face on the car

5) refresh the rear end design, still keep the bustle back

6) add the GTDI 3.0L 400hp with torque vectoring to the lineup

7) add black label

8) add foot rest to the rear seats

9) add a four passenger option for black label with tables

Stop Gap for Aviator

1) Current Explorer Foundation

2) Redesign to match new lincoln design direction

3) if possible increase wheelbase 1-3 inches

4) add the GTDI 3.0L 400 with torque vectoring to the lineup

5) add black label

If these were brought to market today ... i would order both immediately ... i want a "MKT" town car for comfy long journey cruising with four adults ... and i need the aviator for family affairs and road trips for 6