tracking

Doodle

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Edge has been sitting at the local train yard for a good week now. Apparently the status is "mechanical fault" or mechanical something. Delivery is "TBD," Anyone have any idea of what the mechanical problem might mean? My dealer doesn't know. How hard is it to get a car off of a train wagon and delivered to my dealer?

Mechanical problem means train broke down. Could be an hour, could be a week. Only the railroad can answer that question.

The thing that's bugging me is that it has been at the train yard outside Vancouver for over a week now. The train doesn't have to go anywhere. This is really ridiculous.

The thing that's bugging me is that it has been at the train yard outside Vancouver for over a week now. The train doesn't have to go anywhere. This is really ridiculous.

Well actually, it does. Trains are never unloaded at the yard. 99.99% of the time there is no room to unload even if they wanted to. Auto racks are literally backed up to a long ass ramp and driven off the train.

Well actually, it does. Trains are never unloaded at the yard. 99.99% of the time there is no room to unload even if they wanted to. Auto racks are literally backed up to a long ass ramp and driven off the train.

so is what you're saying basically that my edge is "waiting in line" to get unloaded? crikey, how many cars do they have to unload? yeah, i know. lots. but do they just get backed up for weeks?

and what i meant by not having to go anywhere is that if the locomotive of the train had a mechanical problem, i would imagine that a yard like that has a lot of "tugs" (i don't know the technical term) that could pull the rack with my edge on it to the unloading ramp. so i can't see how a "mechanical problem" is delaying the unloading of my car when the train is already in the yard. if it were in the middle of nowhere, then i could understand but even then, well over a week? anyway, i'm just griping. this bs just spoils the enjoyment.

so is what you're saying basically that my edge is "waiting in line" to get unloaded? crikey, how many cars do they have to unload? yeah, i know. lots. but do they just get backed up for weeks?

and what i meant by not having to go anywhere is that if the locomotive of the train had a mechanical problem, i would imagine that a yard like that has a lot of "tugs" (i don't know the technical term) that could pull the rack with my edge on it to the unloading ramp. so i can't see how a "mechanical problem" is delaying the unloading of my car when the train is already in the yard. if it were in the middle of nowhere, then i could understand but even then, well over a week? anyway, i'm just griping. this bs just spoils the enjoyment.

Classification yard is not where they unload rail cars. That's where they sort rail cars to build new trains. It's hard for railroads to get spare equipment to where they need it sometimes, especially in areas like western Canada that are a little more secluded. There's already a locomotive shortage in North America. It's gotten to the point where some railroads that operate towards the Mexican border are leasing locomotives from the Mexican railroads. Canadian National (which is what I'm guessing your car is riding on since they own a majority of Canada's rails) while they're typically very good at not letting loads sit in their yards for long, are notorious for stretching their power very thin.

Also, it's not unheard of for loading and unloading lots to be backed up, especially heading into the summer when dealers are packing their lots with inventory in preparation for their busy season.

Classification yard is not where they unload rail cars. That's where they sort rail cars to build new trains. It's hard for railroads to get spare equipment to where they need it sometimes, especially in areas like western Canada that are a little more secluded. There's already a locomotive shortage in North America. It's gotten to the point where some railroads that operate towards the Mexican border are leasing locomotives from the Mexican railroads. Canadian National (which is what I'm guessing your car is riding on since they own a majority of Canada's rails) while they're typically very good at not letting loads sit in their yards for long, are notorious for stretching their power very thin.

Also, it's not unheard of for loading and unloading lots to be backed up, especially heading into the summer when dealers are packing their lots with inventory in preparation for their busy season.

Thanks for the info and explanation. Sound like it's business as usual. Guess I'll just have to sit here and wait. Unfortunately, patience is not my strong point.