Plant details behind Ford's $9 billion spending spree

MKC will probably join Focus in Mexico to make room for more Escape in Louisville.

No mention of the "Prius" fighter... I guess if it happens, it will be made in Mexico with the rest of the Focus family. I would think UAW will fight to keep PHEV production in the US but they really just want the big bonus checks from building SUVs. Nothing wrong with that... until the next downturn.

Flat Rock is also very cryptic... Fusion is staying for now but Ford won't commit to next generation. No way that plant can stay in business with just Mustang and Continental. That opens the door for... wait for it... CD4 Taurus :stirpot:

The new product in Chicago is obviously next generation CD6 Lincoln MKT (I doubt the Aviator name will return).

Ford is already limiting Taurus production becuase of the Explorer now

Do have to say it is intresting that Ford thinks Flat rock will be busy with just the Mustang and Contiental...both products that will be lucky to sell 150-175k units combined

Yep... something probably has to go there eventually if Fusion/MKZ goes back sole source from Hermosillo. Maybe Escape/MKC overflow. Or Transit Connect. Or the new PHEV? Or... Taurus ;)

I see the PI sedan follow the Explorer/PIU, aka CD6. Whatever wheels drive the Utes, that's what PI will get.

The UAW agreement says Taurus will stick around until the end of the product cycle. Nothing about a new one so if Explorer/Chicago moves to CD6, PI sedan will just disappear with Taurus.

Edited by bzcat

Taurus sales have been horrible the past two years...they are down to 33K sales YTD vs 45k for the same time period last year. PI sales are flat.

I know some of it is from limiting sales due to the Explorer, but if they did the Chinese Tarsus with a new front clip and build it with the Contentinal, Id think it would still be worth while.

What a out the upgraded Navigator? If it is supposed to be a Range Rover fighter, will it still be BOF Expedition cousin? I would think it would move to a more sophisticated unibody platform. Maybe that will slot in at Chicago or Flatrock.

Yes, it'll still be related to Expedition, but they'll both be aluminum.

So is it smart for Ford to be aiming the Aviator as a Range Rover fighter?

I know a lot of people here have been less than impressed with Caddy trying to make BMW fighters.

I'm not complaining, I'm actually glad that they finally want to elevate Lincoln, because 2000's Lincoln was a joke.

I don't see Aviator as a Range Rover competitor - and just because it's RWD doesn't mean it will be a BMW fighter. It needs to appeal to Ford and Lincoln buyers and not be overpriced. Just a nice upgrade from Explorer.

And I don't see why it can't or shouldn't be. Give people an alternative that's better than what the Range Rover has to offer. Just don't try to be Land Rover. Leave that nonsense to Cadillac.

So is it smart for Ford to be aiming the Aviator as a Range Rover fighter?

I know a lot of people here have been less than impressed with Caddy trying to make BMW fighters.

I'm not complaining, I'm actually glad that they finally want to elevate Lincoln, because 2000's Lincoln was a joke.

Navigator* aimed at Range Rover.

I think it's a great move, and coincides with improving the entire lineup and representing where they want to go with the brand. They just need to make sure they truly do go all-out with it.

I view the future Aviator as a sort of Range Rover Sport "competitor" (though not sure if it'll be billed as such).

That said, Cadillac takes the approach of "oh look there's a BMW, let's make the same product in Cadillac clothing."

Lincoln, on the other hand, won't be going that way about it. While they might be targeting the Range Rover, I think they're viewing it more in the "status" sense. As in it's going to compete with Range Rover in presence, design, luxury, and on-road performance, not that it's a Range Rover in Lincoln clothing. For example, it won't have the off-road capabilities of the Range Rovers. Might it add Terrain Response like the Explorer has? Perhaps, but they're not going to be advertising it as the "go anywhere ultimate off-road luxury SUV" that can ford rivers and climb rocks like Range Rover, that would simply be an additional feature it offers.....it'd be more billed as a luxury SUV that has a Terrain Response system for the added confidence in all terrain types.

See the difference there? Caddy makes a competitor clone, Lincoln will make their take on the competitor's product and target different attributes as priorities.

• Like 1

I see Aviator needing (nearly) as much interior room as the Flex. <br/>

& <br/>

Which RR/LR has that? <br/>

+ (re: Navi) which is based on an aluminium pickup? <br/>

just saying I don't see RR/LR comparos for either

Edited by 2b2

I see Aviator needing (nearly) as much interior room as the Flex. <br/>

& <br/>

Which RR/LR has that? <br/>

+ (re: Navi) which is based on an aluminium pickup? <br/>

just saying I don't see RR/LR comparos for either

I don't think you need to confuse or trick people into thinking there's a (RR/LR) in front of them... you just need to build a vehicle that compellingly competes for those customers.

Edited by probowler
  • Like 1

Navigator* aimed at Range Rover.

See the difference there? Caddy makes a competitor clone, Lincoln will make their take on the competitor's product and target different attributes as priorities.

Yes, XT5, Escalade and CT6 yells autobhan!!!.

What is the new displacement of the 6.2 engine at Romeo for the Superduty?

Good question-think F-650-750. No mention of the 6.8 anywhere. How big can the 6.2 go? I do believe others have mentioned that the 6.2 had durability issues for medium duty but the fact remains, a good reliable gasoline engine that can be converted to a gaseous engine should have a future.

An insider confirmed that Flex is a "dead man walking" He couldn't remember if it died at the end of 2016 or 2017MY.

I'm sorry - we can't accept insider info without employment confirmation (paystub is fine) plus a notarized statement with at least 2 witnesses.

• Like 4

I think Ford will pull the plug on all the D3/D4 cars at the same time... They continue to exists now because of Explorer. When Explorer goes to CD6, Taurus and Flex will be done. MKT will be redesigned with Explorer.

Edited by bzcat

I'm guessing Oakville for the MKC movement when the next generation comes out for a few reasons, Canada has a MUCH better trade agreement with China for autos and could compliment the MKX as exports. With the new government and low oil prices the Canadian dollar will continue to fall to $1.40/$1.50 in the next year making it attractive for exports. Doing this could allow the next MKC to move off the C platform to a shortend CD4 sharing more things with the MKX & even Continental (suspension components, vehicle electronic architecture, seats, etc). Lincoln could absorb the cost of putting a small SUV on a more expensive but better platform where the Escape's Market Price point couldn't absorb it. It would also allow Ford to launch the next MKC earlier than the next Escape, which would allow the plant to run full Escapes for a while (6-8months) building up inventories while the plant is shut down leading to the new Escape. You also then have moved all Lincoln's volume product to one platform in different lengths, which could even be used for a small Lincoln car.

(Editied to fix typos from doing this post on my phone...)

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 1