Plant details behind Ford's $9 billion spending spree

Yes, XT5, Escalade and CT6 yells autobhan!!!.

CT6 I won't even address because it is more of the same let's target BMW...

Escalade has for some time been its own beast, and is around because of the rest of the GMT (or KX22 or whatever it is these days) SUVs. They'd be stupid to cut it.

XT5 is a next-gen SRX. Even they realize that it's been successful and the formula doesn't need to change much. I'm sure there are those at Cadillac that are salivating at the idea of making the XT5 into an X5 clone.....hmm XT5 > X5 haha.

I'm guessing Oakville for the MKC movement when the next generation comes out for a few reasons, Canada has a MUCH better trade agreement with China for autos and could compliment the MKX as exports. With the new government and low oil prices the Canadian dollar will continue to fall to $1.40/$1.50 in the next year making it attractive for exports. Doing this could allow the next MKC will move off the C platform to CD4 which could be a shortened version of the same platform CD4 sharing more things with the MKX & even Continental (suspension components, vehicle electronic architecture, seats, etc). Lincoln could absorb the cost of putting a small SUV on a more expensive but better platform where the Escape's Market Price point couldn't absorb it. It would also allow Ford to launch the next MKC earlier than the next Escape, which would allow the plant to run full Escapes for a while (6-8months) building up inventories while it would be shut down leading to the new Escape. You also then have moved all Lincoln's volume product to one platform in different lengths, which could even be used for a small Lincoln car.

That's an interesting theory. Now I haven't sat in the competition (I wish I had at the auto show), but after doing the Date Night with the MKC, it could use some more rear seat legroom....I'd have to look up the MKX specs too, as you obviously don't want them to get too close to each other size wise either.

Edited by rmc523

I'm guessing Oakville for the MKC movement when the next generation comes out for a few reasons, Canada has a MUCH better trade agreement with China for autos and could compliment the MKX as exports. With the new government and low oil prices the Canadian dollar will continue to fall to $1.40/$1.50 in the next year making it attractive for exports. Doing this could allow the next MKC will move off the C platform to CD4 which could be a shortened version of the same platform CD4 sharing more things with the MKX & even Continental (suspension components, vehicle electronic architecture, seats, etc). Lincoln could absorb the cost of putting a small SUV on a more expensive but better platform where the Escape's Market Price point couldn't absorb it. It would also allow Ford to launch the next MKC earlier than the next Escape, which would allow the plant to run full Escapes for a while (6-8months) building up inventories while it would be shut down leading to the new Escape. You also then have moved all Lincoln's volume product to one platform in different lengths, which could even be used for a small Lincoln car.

I can see this happening espcially if Ford moves to a Single Transverse Engine architecture, that will span B-E FWD vehicles.

"Like a fwd luxury sedan in a rwd dominated market?......"

Actaully an AWD dominated market. Most Beemers sold now have an 'X' in the badge.

And Lexus #1 selling car is the Camry based ES, but it's overshadowed by their SUVs.

Audi is all FWD based, but most sold are Quattros.

And there would be howls from UAW and Trump if Ford imported new Tauruses from China.

Only if there were sales increases, as there were with Fusions, will we see new Tauruses.

Buyers with over $40-50K to spend on a new vehicle get trucks, Utes, or luxury makes.

Leaves Impala and Taurus as fleet queens.

quote "Fullsize sedans are on the way out, Chevy is seriously considering dropping the Impala."

I predict Chevy will merge the Malibu and Impala into one line, all called "Impala". But, don't see Ford doing same with Fusion for Taurus.

Edited by 630land

Good question-think F-650-750. No mention of the 6.8 anywhere. How big can the 6.2 go? I do believe others have mentioned that the 6.2 had durability issues for medium duty but the fact remains, a good reliable gasoline engine that can be converted to a gaseous engine should have a future.

Surprisingly the 6.2 is a big-block motor that can easily be bored to 7.0 .

Theoretically the v10 can survive with a big power boost from the 5.0 valvetrain and possibly head configuration but IMO since Ford spent $$$ on the 6.2 program they probably want their ROI off that, so Ford enlarge the Boss for MD use.

Why does the Taurus have to go anywhere in the lineup? They just announced 9 billion in plant work. Import the 40k they sell here from China.

You'll never here the hounding stop if Ford imports a Chinese car. Maybe Flat-Rock have something when the Fusion leaves.

interesting, Jason thumb.gif

I had a rant elsewhere for a shortened & prolley lowered X...

...came out almost exactly the size of the Macan bliss.gif

So I haven't been following Lincoln or their upcoming products too closely, but have we decided that the(3rd mystery Lincoln utility?) will be the Aviator and not some kind of Lincoln "Super" Bronco?

I remember there being a question on if this unknown Lincoln ute was going to be unibody or possibly FOB?

Edited by probowler

So I haven't been following Lincoln or their upcoming products too closely, but have we decided that the(3rd mystery Lincoln utility?) will be the Aviator and not some kind of Lincoln "Super" Bronco?

I remember there being a question on if this unknown Lincoln ute was going to be unibody or possibly FOB?

I don't think there's any chance of it being a "super" bronco. The opportunity for an Aviator/MKT replacement is too large for them to leave it on the table for some other more specialty product.

• Like 1

I still think the next-gen Troller IS the new Bronco (and vice-versa).

There was a report that there would be 1 truck and 2 utilities and one of the utilities was not a Ford brand. Since I doubt Lincoln would be getting a Bronco or a Ranger version Troller would fit nicely. Bronco would be more Ranger like than Troller like. Troller would be the Jeep competitor.

• Like 1

There was a report that there would be 1 truck and 2 utilities and one of the utilities was not a Ford brand. Since I doubt Lincoln would be getting a Bronco or a Ranger version Troller would fit nicely. Bronco would be more Ranger like than Troller like. Troller would be the Jeep competitor.

That's the rumor I was thinking about... and that makes a lot of sense actually.

Although I'd rather it be the other way, and the Bronco be more Toller like (Capability wise... not necessarily looks)

Well, my thought to that rumor has been that the Bronco and Troller would be one in the same. So technically 2 utilities from 2 brands, but they're identical (with the Troller being exported elsewhere).

Well, my thought to that rumor has been that the Bronco and Troller would be one in the same. So technically 2 utilities from 2 brands, but they're identical (with the Troller being exported elsewhere).

Possible but I see them as 2 different markets with Troller as a bare bones Wrangler type vehicle and Bronco being more of a specialized Ranger.

I posted that based off a rather cryptic message from a source.

I took it to mean Ranger, A Troller-based Bronco, and an Everest-like Lincoln product.

I wondered if an Everest-based Aviator was in development as an alternative to an Explorer-based Aviator, or it Lincoln was looking at utility lineup of MKC/MKX/Aviator crossovers and Mini Navigator and Navigator SUVs.

Or maybe this was some purposeful misinformation.

Can Ford sell 350,000 Mid-sized Body on frame vehicles in the north America for the next 10 years?

I don't think so.

So what is plan if they are going to spend 700 million in a plant that received 550 million in upgrades only 5 years ago? Only to reverse the investments made?

Please tell me I am wrong.

overall the announcement is rather Ho Hum

What you lose:

FLEX

MKT

Taurus

What you gain:

Ranger?

Bronco?

MKA?

Continental

$700 million investment to make the all-new 2017 Escape

What is This stuff about an all new Escape When it hasn't even had its MCE yet?

700 million?

To me this seems like Ford like in the past is expecting low fuel prices and Trucks to dominate the Market just like the 90s, chasing the money with no plan for the future.