2017 Lincoln MKZ Debuts with 400-hp 3.0EB V6

I don't think the system was ever meant to be for use in the RS only.

The speculation at least here was we would see it in other products like Fusion or Taurus SHO.

Makes zero sense to have a single item just for a single product, esp when it's a low production item like the Focus RS. I know the flat plane 5.2L is one of those items, but who knows maybe we'll see it in a truck/full sized SUV or even the Lincoln Mustang that keeps getting teased...then again that is almost as legendary as the GRWD LOL

• Like 1

One thing I do have to wonder about...with all the good stuff the MKZ has...I'm wondering if Ford should do a slightly stretched Focus (shared with the MKC) to have a car slotted under the MKZ.

I thought fuzzymoomoo dropped a hint on that a while back. A Lincoln compact sports sedan would be pretty sweet I think.

The speculation at least here was we would see it in other products like Fusion or Taurus SHO.

Makes zero sense to have a single item just for a single product, esp when it's a low production item like the Focus RS. I know the flat plane 5.2L is one of those items, but who knows maybe we'll see it in a truck/full sized SUV or even the Lincoln Mustang that keeps getting teased...then again that is almost as legendary as the GRWD LOL

Regarding the 5.2, I thought it was a low production number based on a higher production 5.0 which could justify it. The RS AWD system was touted as all-new and I can only assume it would replace current systems eventually.

my feelings are mixed on the front end, i loved it on the Continental but i feel its bit forces on the MKZ, maybe it will grow on me, but perhaps I was one of the few that like the current grill on MKZ.

I think though this grill would look real good on MKC and MKX. maybe we will get MKC in Detroit ?

• Like 1

Going after Audi, which is a high growth brand is good idea, instead of trying to bring back a "new Panther/Town Car."

Unrelated to the topic, but if you go back through 630land's post history I am willing to bet you will find that over 90% of them use quotation marks somewhere in the post.

;)

OK, back on topic.

• Like 3

@bruce...what ET's are you running...just read of a sub 10 second eco boost Mustang..,...wowzers....

Yes, they are getting crazy performance out of the tuned ecoboost Mustangs. My MKS runs 12.7 @ 108 in the quarter and 0-60 in 4.03. Some guys with SHOs and more aggressive tunes are in the mid to low 12s and a couple are in the high 11s.

• Like 2

I hope this engine can be tuned as easily and effectively as the 3.5. Beating Coyote Mustangs at the strip is a blast with my MKS. If the tuners can do as much with this engine as the can the 3.5, the lighter MKZ might give a CTSv a run for it's money.

Tuned beyond 400/400? I wouldn't count on it. Don't forget the much larger 3.5EB was limited to 365 in production trim so there was a lot of headroom there. I think it's pretty close to being maxed out from a practical standpoint.

Tuned beyond 400/400? I wouldn't count on it. Don't forget the much larger 3.5EB was limited to 365 in production trim so there was a lot of headroom there. I think it's pretty close to being maxed out from a practical standpoint.

I bet there's an easy 100/100 in it. Whether the tranny will handle it is another story.

So what does this mean for the Continental? Wasn't this 3.0 supposed to be the flagship engine for that car?

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the Continental get a bit more power out of it than the MKZ.

Press release didn't say anything about transmission... but I'm guessing 3.0T has the new 9 speed? 400 lb-ft seems like it is a bit too much for 6F35 to handle...

That'd be my guess as well....however, I'm kinda hesitant because you'd think they would've mentioned that in the press release had it gotten a brand new 9-speed...

my feelings are mixed on the front end, i loved it on the Continental but i feel its bit forces on the MKZ, maybe it will grow on me, but perhaps I was one of the few that like the current grill on MKZ.

I think though this grill would look real good on MKC and MKX. maybe we will get MKC in Detroit ?

I think it'll be another year or two before we see and updated MKC. Let it and the brand new X keep the split wing for a few years rather than leaving the X as the lone vehicle with the split wing for a couple years (if you were to update the C to the new grille this year).

I bet there's an easy 100/100 in it. Whether the tranny will handle it is another story.

I said from a practical standpoint. And I don't know how "easy" that would be to get to 500/500 since the full race trim 3.5 only gets 600.

Maybe 450/450 but I think that will be pushing it.

I said from a practical standpoint. And I don't know how "easy" that would be to get to 500/500 since the full race trim 3.5 only gets 600.

Maybe 450/450 but I think that will be pushing it.

I'm thinking for tuners and those that don't mind throwing warranty out the window. Maybe 100/100 was a bit of a stretch, but I bet the tuners can squeeze quite a few more ponies out of it.

Livernois Motorsports is getting an extra 100/100 from the 2.3 eco and even more from the 2.7 in the F150 with nothing more than tweaking boost, timing and A/F ratio. The new 3.0 might have a little less headroom but I bet there is potential.

By the way, those of us who take advantage of these tunes need to understand we are doing so at our own risk as far as possible breakage or voided warranties are concerned. The 3.5 eco and 6F55 transmission have proven to be extremely robust, though.

That was directed at RJ.

Which is funny, because I never predicted that the RS AWD system would be RS only. I just said that Ford would not necessarily be using RS drivetrain components on non-RS models (e.g. using RS halfshafts on the Escape).

But, without dwelling on past occurrences, I don't think any of us are surprised that Biker's recollection of my comments was not accurate.

--

And I also caught an immediate Jag vibe, and also immediately thought, "Wow, that looks great!" So, take that for what it's worth. I think it gives the car a lot more presence.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

That'd be my guess as well....however, I'm kinda hesitant because you'd think they would've mentioned that in the press release had it gotten a brand new 9-speed...

Unless there is some sort of agreement with GM that it will get to announce the new 9 speed auto in a production car.

The new 2017 Lacross is using a 8 speed auto (of unknown origin). I thought for sure it will be using the new 9 speed.

Edited by bzcat

Interesting debate. Ford has had a tendency in the past to launch powertrain changes/major facelifts with a known element. 6F55 is a known *solid* performer, so that is a real viable first year trans. On the other hand, they also have a tendency to use Lincoln as a beta tester. And 400 lb*ft at the flywheel puts the '55 a shade over design.

• Like 1

That's a great point - maybe the 3.0L EB will the the base engine for Continental.

Maybe the 3.0 is standard, while the 3.5 (uprated to 500?) is optional ?

Unless there is some sort of agreement with GM that it will get to announce the new 9 speed auto in a production car.

The new 2017 Lacross is using a 8 speed auto (of unknown origin). I thought for sure it will be using the new 9 speed.

Could be....but it seems like when Ford doesn't mention something, it means it's not changing.

Interesting debate. Ford has had a tendency in the past to launch powertrain changes/major facelifts with a known element. 6F55 is a known *solid* performer, so that is a real viable first year trans. On the other hand, they also have a tendency to use Lincoln as a beta tester. And 400 lb*ft at the flywheel puts the '55 a shade over design.

Could be....but I thought one of the reasons they weren't generating more power for the 3.5 vehicles was the transmission? And this one has 400..... :shrug:

• Like 1