Autonews: Once-promising dual-clutch transmissions lose favor in U.S.

truth be told, manual doesn't bother me in traffic, its just sitting there....so, motorcycle it is, I have no patience for the 15 mile trip I take on the 405 freeway taking 1 hour.......wouldn't matter if the car was an auto, its 35 minutes on the bike in the HOV lane. Sadly there's apartment complex's going up everywhere and the freeways cant handle traffic NOW...its only going to get worse...

The trick to driving the 405 is to work in Long Beach and live in Los Angeles (Inglewood to be exact). My 19 mile commute takes me 25 minutes. I have a V6 5-speed manual Mustang. I get on the freeway and set the cruise control to 65.

• Like 1

truth be told, manual doesn't bother me in traffic, its just sitting there....so, motorcycle it is, I have no patience for the 15 mile trip I take on the 405 freeway taking 1 hour.......wouldn't matter if the car was an auto, its 35 minutes on the bike in the HOV lane. Sadly there's apartment complex's going up everywhere and the freeways cant handle traffic NOW...its only going to get worse...

Planning to get my motorcycle endorsement finished in January. The biggest downside to me finishing is that I will likely end up buying a bike then - and do I as a single guy really need three vehicles? Motorcycles can use HOV lanes here as long as they're HOV only and not HOT (high occupancy or pay a toll - motorcycles pay) but can't ride between lanes. My morning commute is usually free flowing except for a 1 mile backup at my exit. Evening is usually stop and go most of the way so does make me think twice about wanting to do it on a bike.

• Like 1

Steve, my trip involves THREE freeways and the orange crush as they call it, 5 , 405, 55....all I can say is if I leave to work at 8.15 it sucks going, and if I leave work at 5 it sucks going back...to say the bike has saved me countless HOURS in bumber to bumper is an understatement...Bikes knocking on 90,000 miles, and round trip is 30....she has more than paid for herself, because the alternative is rape-age via Toll Roads, which have jumped over the years from 50 cents to $6.75 one way....

Steve, my trip involves THREE freeways and the orange crush as they call it, 5 , 405, 55....all I can say is if I leave to work at 8.15 it sucks going, and if I leave work at 5 it sucks going back...to say the bike has saved me countless HOURS in bumber to bumper is an understatement...Bikes knocking on 90,000 miles, and round trip is 30....she has more than paid for herself, because the alternative is rape-age via Toll Roads, which have jumped over the years from 50 cents to $6.75 one way....

Wow - 90k on a bike is crazy! I thought my buddy's bike was really high at 41k compared to all the used ones I've been seeing. Never seen a listing for one for sale around here with over 60k - and I've only seen over 30k a few times.

The trick to driving a stick on heavy backed up traffic is to put it in first, put the rear in lo, and let out the clutch. You can modulate low speeds quite well with very little use of brake, and only release the clutch when you have to come to a dead stop. But then most of you do not drive a 5+2.

• Like 1