2016 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid: 48 mpg for $28,645

Biker16

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/10/2016-chevy-malibu-hybrid-price-fuel-economy/

With the 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid, General Motors wants to show it's as serious about mainstream hybrids as it is about mainstream midsize sedans.

Keeping with the theme, Chevy announced the Malibu Hybrid will have a serious price tag of $28,645. Chevy said Thursday the 2016 Malibu Hybrid will go on sale in the spring, with that price also including an $875 destination charge. That's about $3,000 more than where the Ford Fusion Hybrid kicks off, and about $2,000 more than a Toyota Camry Hybrid LE.

The big news being pushed with the Malibu Hybrid, however, is the fuel economy. GM says it's capable of 48 miles per gallon city and 45 highway, for a combined rating of 47 mpg. That's better than any other 2016 midsize hybrid sedan. Power comes from a 1.8-liter gasoline engine and an electric motor with a 1.5-kWh lithium-ion battery, producing 182 combined horsepower. That's competitive with both the Camry and Fusion. Chevy also likes to say it's roughly the same system as the one installed in the 2016 Volt – although with a smaller battery, larger gas engine, and without the plug – so the Malibu Hybrid has that halo effect going for it.

Doesn't photograph well does it? Look any better in person?

I was hoping it would, but unfortunately from my experience so far it does not.

The visual weight is so imbalanced on the front clip it's almost unsettling if you stare at it too long: Let your eyes go to their natural focal point on the front end and they're pulled in every direction. There is no harmony in the design.

Remmy: The side swoop, furthering Ed Welburn's legacy of fussy side sculpting, actually does work better in person. It's probably the only design element on the thing that hints at the fact there is talent in the design studio.

I was hoping it would, but unfortunately from my experience so far it does not.

The visual weight is so imbalanced on the front clip it's almost unsettling if you stare at it too long: Let your eyes go to their natural focal point on the front end and they're pulled in every direction. There is no harmony in the design.

Remmy: The side swoop, furthering Ed Welburn's legacy of fussy side sculpting, actually does work better in person. It's probably the only design element on the thing that hints at the fact there is talent in the design studio.

They had it on display at the Miami show, but honestly I didn't really pay too much attention to it (or the Chevy display in general). I'm sure that side sculpting isn't quite as obnoxious looking in person, but for whatever reason in that picture at that angle (and lighting), it just looks odd to me.