2017 Fusion Revealed

Edited with press info.

17FusionSport_01_HR.jpg

Ford Unveils Smartest, Most Technology-Packed Fusion Ever, Including Hybrid and Plug-in Hybrid Versions of New Sedan

• Class-exclusive combination of all-wheel drive and twin-turbocharged V6 engine pushes Ford Fusion V6 Sport to leave other family sedans – including Honda Accord and Toyota Camry – in the dust; Fusion even out-powers the 2016 BMW 340
  • Fusion Energi is the plug-in hybrid that stands out in a crowd – allowing customers to drive extended distances using just electricity, then operating as a conventional gas engine-powered hybrid when the battery runs low
  • Fusion is the first Ford car in North America with a pedestrian detection system; other advanced technologies include hands-free parallel and perpendicular parking and SYNC® 3

DETROIT, Jan. 11, 2016 – The new Ford Fusion continues to be a game changer among midsize sedans, with the most technologically advanced lineup ever – including two hybrid models and a new all-wheel-drive Fusion V6 Sport engineered to leave other family sedans in the dust.

Fusion V6 Sport and the new Fusion Platinum add to a lineup featuring three EcoBoost® engine choices, along with two hybrids, Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid – something neither Toyota nor Honda offers midsize sedan shoppers.

“Fusion offers people a lot more car – including helpful technology, beautiful design and a more rewarding driving experience than other midsize sedans,” said Raj Nair, Ford executive vice president and chief technical officer, Global Product Development.

• Fusion V6 Sport: Fusion V6 Sport is a performance sedan unlike anything in the segment with a twin-turbocharged 2.7-liter EcoBoost® V6 delivering a projected 325 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque. All-wheel-drive Fusion V6 Sport is projected to make approximately 100 lb.-ft. of additional torque and nearly 50 more horsepower than the 3.5-liter V6 engines in Toyota Camry and Honda Accord
  • Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi: New Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi lead America’s best-selling lineup of plug-in hybrids. New software in both hybrids delivers an even more refined and engaging drive for customers, while more efficient electric motors are expected to contribute to better fuel economy and a purer range of electric driving
  • Fusion Platinum: Fusion Platinum is designed for those seeking even greater levels of refinement and craftsmanship in a midsize sedan. With available award-winning 2.0-liter EcoBoost and all-wheel drive, the real story is the interior experience. Instrument and door trim panels are wrapped in antiqued Cocoa leather, and the hand-wrapped steering wheel is finished in premium Venetian leather. A unique grille finished in Magnetic paint makes for an upscale design and 19-inch polished wheels return confident performance

Together, Fusion V6 Sport, Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi, and Fusion Platinum offer three different flavors of an award-winning lineup for midsize sedan customers.

Fusion V6 Sport adds continuously controlled damping for real-time suspension tuning based on setup and road inputs. The system features pothole detection technology that, in less than the blink of an eye, adjusts the shock absorbers to greatly reduce the severity of impact transmitted to occupants. Power and handling are complemented by unique, performance-inspired style inside and out. The look is distinguished by an aggressive exterior with deeper air intakes and a gloss black-finish mesh grille, 19-inch wheels, rear spoiler and dual twin exhaust outlets.

Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi are technology-packed electrified vehicles that offer an advanced EcoGuide system to provide drivers real-time coaching to get even better fuel economy. Fusion Energi features a 7.6-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery for an expected range of 19 miles using electric power only. The car automatically switches to an efficient 2.0-liter gasoline engine when the battery is depleted, allowing customers to drive more than 500 miles.

Ford continues to innovate and evolve with its lithium-ion batteries that save weight and take up less space than the less sophisticated nickel-metal hydride batteries found in Toyota Camry Hybrid. Neither Camry nor Accord offers a plug-in hybrid.

Recharging Fusion Energi can be done overnight in just 2.5 hours. The car is smart enough to know when to begin charging to get electricity at the lowest price. It can even preheat or precool the cabin before drivers leave to save more fuel.

Both electrified Fusions deliver impressive overall performance with electric-only speeds up to 85 mph. Regenerative braking captures up to 95 percent of the energy lost through heat during braking and recharges the hybrid battery on the move.

Meaningful technology
Fusion is the most technologically advanced midsize car Ford has ever built in North America – the first car sold here with Ford’s pedestrian detection system. Fusion also has hands-free parallel and perpendicular parking capability. The new high-tech gear shift dial results in a roomier cabin with easy-to-reach bins.

Lane-keeping assist helps drivers maintain proper lane position using a small, forward-facing camera behind the rearview mirror that “looks” at the road ahead – monitoring lane lines to ensure the car is on course.

Available Blind Spot Information System with cross-traffic alert includes sensors in the car’s rear quarter-panels that can detect traffic in a driver’s blind spot, providing both audible and visual warnings if traffic – unseen by the driver – is detected. BLIS® enables cross-traffic alert, warning the driver of oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space with obstructed views. In combination with the standard rearview camera, BLIS makes for confident maneuvering in parking lots.

SYNC® 3, Ford’s new communications and entertainment system, is also available. It features faster performance, more conversational voice recognition, a more intuitive smartphone-like touch screen and easier-to-understand graphical interface. SYNC Connect, optional with SYNC 3, enables owners to remotely start their car, schedule future starts, or lock and unlock the car using their smartphone.

The new Fusion arrives at dealerships this summer. Fusion V6 Sport follows a few weeks later.

The 2017 Ford Fusion Order Guide can be found here.

Edited by robertlane

None of the few TT builds we did at FRAP had that mesh grille. I like it better than I do the 5 bar grille. Same with the Focus. I HATE the 5 bar grille on that car.

still not a fan of that odd chrome bar that goes across the decklid and taillights.

It's likely a Sport-exclusive grille.

• Like 1

Sadly, I figured...

Also, don't hold your breath about it being offered with a manual either. With the way the console is designed, I don't see how they put a stick in there. You'll see what I mean next week.

Did they put the low rent new Taurus console in there 6bb863864645fdac1b45394d2c9a6a_600.jpg

Did they put the low rent new Taurus console in there 6bb863864645fdac1b45394d2c9a6a_600.jpg

No. Not too much has changed from the current Fusion overall, but that area where the shift dial is looks pretty similar. But then again, they would have to make it work for a manual for the Mondeo in Europe right? I suppose we will find out for sure soon enough.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Meh it really doesn't do anything for me. I'd like to get one to replace my SHO down the road, but this seems a bit too tame. Maybe better in person

I think it's better than the Focus refresh, but yeah, they probably could've done more to keep it new looking. Not that the current model looks bad, but people like it looking different as more of a reason to get a new one.

I think that's part of the Focus' problem - the refresh barely changed anything and it looks largely the same as the pre-refresh model.

• Like 1

I think it's better than the Focus refresh, but yeah, they probably could've done more to keep it new looking. Not that the current model looks bad, but people like it looking different as more of a reason to get a new one.

I think that's part of the Focus' problem - the refresh barely changed anything and it looks largely the same as the pre-refresh model.

uh what? the front end and entire hood are different (unless you're talking about the electric one, absolutely nothing but the tail lights and hatch changed)

38688_2013_ford_Focus.jpgford-focus-hatchback-ii-2015-wallpaper-2

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

uh what? the front end and entire hood are different (unless you're talking about the electric one, absolutely nothing but the tail lights and hatch changed)

38688_2013_ford_Focus.jpgford-focus-hatchback-ii-2015-wallpaper-2

You're right. But nothing powertrain on the Focus changes, which was obviously one of it's biggest issues (the tranny, which we won't talk about here). Fusion doesn't have that problem, so hopefully this refresh will be successful.

I know they're keeping the 1.5EB around, probably the same updated version that's being used in the new 2017 Escape, as well as the 2.5NA that's used as the base engine. I would imagine the 2.0EB would be kept as well with the same updates seen in the new Escape.

There's also a new color coming that's similar to the Blue Candy CC that can be found on the Focus.

still not a fan of that odd chrome bar that goes across the decklid and taillights.

Agreed, it looks like a giant handle from a fridge or very large dresser drawer pull.

I would prefer the design change to the fog lamp area they showed on a Mondeo at this years Essen show

post-25487-0-46993600-1452201555_thumb.jpg

post-25487-0-74883600-1452201629_thumb.jpg

Edited by MKII

Hard to tell if its the angle of the camera or the odd reflection but it seems like there is too much black plastic on the bottom of the car. Almost like the whole bottom area is just filler. The current Fusion does a nice job of matching up the bottom grill to the top. And unless they change the whole bottom I am not sure how they can put chrome strips on the bottom of the non sport models since that area is now much wider.

It does look more like the Focus now, and I also was underwhelmed with the Focus refresh. The Focus refresh just seemed to cause the Focus to lose a lot of its personality. Would like to see something more unique for the Focus.

• Like 1

I drive a '13 Titanium in this same color as these pics. If I got a '17 my coworkers would probably not even notice I had a new car when I pulled in the lot at work. VERY minor refresh on the exterior styling. If you are not a car guy or a Ford fan boy you would never know unless they parked side by side. The dial shiftier is nice I guess. No reason to waste so much room on the old style shiftier when it is not needed. I would be most excited to get Sync 3 with Android Auto. That and maybe if the Engine was a big upgrade to my 2.0 T or new tranny. Meh. Its ok but no big deal.