Rumor: Scion dies today (Update: Fact)

silvrsvt

Should have just called them "Toyota Scions" all along, now looks like 'flop'.

But also, they can now discount the cars, instead of 'one price' like Saturn.

But then again, Ford dropped Mercury. :confused:

Edit: found these observations on web:

"Scion achieved its goals so well, they are putting a bullet in its head" and "Toyota never had a clear vision other than 'they are cheap' "

Edited by 630land

Now Fiat and Smart can take Scion's share of the crappy pointless small car market.

I agree that Smart and Fiat fill that niche very well.

Thing is, you don't have to have a crappy car at a (fairly) decent price point anymore. I rented multiple economy cars in the last year (e.g. Nissan Versa, Ford Fiesta) that I'd say aren't bad at all; so long as you aren't expecting every option. Even the small Chevy Sonic/Spark (I can't remember which one I had) wasn't as decrepit as some of the econoboxes I rented pre-2010.

The Yaris I rented once truly sucked.

Edited by RangerM

Name recognition and perception

How so? Scion where/was sold at Toyota dealerships...I hope people aren't that stupid to think that they where that different then Toyota. All it was as failed attempt to draw in younger buyers since Toyota is quickly becoming the car of choice for the retirement set baby boomers

The Scion line was a big hit for old geezers trying to recapture their youth...now, they'll just by 'em as Toyotas...

I often wonder about Youth branded/marketed cars...I think alot of the ages are skewed by parents buying cars for their kids in college out of high school..thus why you see older average ages. Not sure if there is a metric that measures actual driver age vs who is signing and making car payments for it. I think the reason why old farts driving these cars stick out is just antodical. I know I saw my fair share of grey hair people driving Honda Elements, but my friends sister got one also.

IIRC the Mazda 3 was a car with one of the lowest average age of ownership at 36 years old or so...if I remember correctly seeing that couple years ago.

Which is just the pitch to appeal to an 18 year old!

Hey! Why join your friends at Elitist Private School With Suspiciously Vague Promises of Financial Assistance when you could go to Mom And Dad University--approved by your parents and your parents' friends and other people that age??

My son chose to go to a state U at a bargain price. The lure? A Mechanical Eng. program that ranks in the top 10 nationally by the automotive industry. Could have gone to IUPUI for same at 20k more per year. Savvy kid.

My son chose to go to a state U at a bargain price. The lure? A Mechanical Eng. program that ranks in the top 10 nationally by the automotive industry. Could have gone to IUPUI for same at 20k more per year. Savvy kid.

IUPUI's in the same conference as my alma mater. If your kid went to Oakland, they used to be in the Summit as well.

IUPUI will be in Brookings this Saturday for the "Pork Classic".

A doubleheader in which the whole arena smells like pork barbecue and they auction a live pig at halftime of the men's game:

B8tvaInIUAA2MXG.jpg

Except it was never intended to be an experiment, that's just spin.

And honestly - if they didn't sell as Scion models why would they sell as Toyotas?

The aggregate of Sales of Scion vs the sales of individual vehicles, Some Scions will be phased out over time, not die at the same time as the brand.

The investment has been made, Toyota is going finish the Product cycle and then make a decision on each product. unlike mercury or Pontiac Scion were not direct re-skins of other models but usually EU of JDM products.

The aggregate of Sales of Scion vs the sales of individual vehicles, Some Scions will be phased out over time, not die at the same time as the brand.

The investment has been made, Toyota is going finish the Product cycle and then make a decision on each product. unlike mercury or Pontiac Scion were not direct re-skins of other models but usually EU of JDM products.

That makes sense.

I often wonder about Youth branded/marketed cars...I think alot of the ages are skewed by parents buying cars for their kids in college out of high school..thus why you see older average ages. Not sure if there is a metric that measures actual driver age vs who is signing and making car payments for it. I think the reason why old farts driving these cars stick out is just antodical. I know I saw my fair share of grey hair people driving Honda Elements, but my friends sister got one also.

Some of the Scions (and the Honda Element) appealed to older people because they were inexpensive to buy and operate, easy to enter and exit, and could carry bulky items easily.

A fair number of retired people want to "downsize" their expenditures. A Scion xB and Honda Element were inexpensive, versatile vehicles that appealed to retired people looking to save money, but still planning to enjoy hobbies (gardening, woodworking, etc.).

Edited by grbeck

I suspect dropping the Scion name is due to the complete buyout of Daihatsu. So will we see Daihatsu sold here again?

Those two things are completely unrelated.

Scion is a marketing exercise in the US market. Daihatsu is a central plank in Toyota's emerging market strategy for selling more deathtrap cars. We are not going to see any Daihatsu in the US.

• Like 1

Some of the Scions (and the Honda Element) appealed to older people because they were inexpensive to buy and operate, easy to enter and exit, and could carry bulky items easily.

This. Cheap sells and if that's why they're buying the exterior styling or badge doesn't really matter.

With STEM degrees, it’s not the school that matters

In terms of pay, it may not matter whether you went to a prestigious, top-tier school, middle tier or a local state university. Your pay may be little different from that of your peers.
In a new study, researchers looked at STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) salaries 10 years after graduation. It compared the salaries of more than 7,000 people and found little difference in wages for STEM graduates. But students who left with liberal arts degree, for instance, from a top school did earn more than students from a lesser school.

Unless you're competing for post graduate spots at a prestigious school or a few very specific professions I don't think it matters much where you get your degree.

A lot of parents seem to be reliving their youth and choosing their kids' schools for social reasons rather than academics. Or a combination.

I told my son he could go anywhere he wanted as long as it was a public in state university where he could get hope scholarship assistance.

He got his MBA 2 years ago 100% on his own. And he lives alone in Seattle and works at Starbucks. If you want it you can get it.

My friend sent both his kids to a very nice very expensive private liberal arts college. One is a married middle school music teacher and the other is in journalism in Calfornia.

I'm sure it was a fantastic experience but really had no bearing on their careers.

If you want to do it then it can be done.

Unless you're competing for post graduate spots at a prestigious school or a few very specific professions I don't think it matters much where you get your degree.

A lot of parents seem to be reliving their youth and choosing their kids' schools for social reasons rather than academics. Or a combination.

I told my son he could go anywhere he wanted as long as it was a public in state university where he could get hope scholarship assistance.

He got his MBA 2 years ago 100% on his own. And he lives alone in Seattle and works at Starbucks. If you want it you can get it.

My friend sent both his kids to a very nice very expensive private liberal arts college. One is a married middle school music teacher and the other is in journalism in Calfornia.

I'm sure it was a fantastic experience but really had no bearing on their careers.

If you want to do it then it can be done.

When you say Starbucks in Seattle, do you mean as a barista or in the main office? Big difference in pay scales there. :)