...and so it begins. FCA slashes 200 production

Anthony

Long layoff looms at FCA's Sterling Heights plant

Source: Freep.com

635913929333044126-SHAP-assembly-line.jp

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/02/22/long-layoff-looms-fcas-sterling-heights-plant/80473856/

Workers at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' plant in Sterling Heights are laid off from Feb. 1 until March 14 and likely will be back only a few weeks before the plant is shut down again in April, according to UAW officials.

Looming in the background is the automaker's decision to eventually stop making the Chrysler 200 and a plan to slash production from about 189,000 last year to just 120,000 this year, according to an estimate from IHS Automotive.

It looked like the Chrysler 200 was doing OK. In 2015, FCA sold more than 177,000 — a 51% increase over the prior year.

But in November, when FCA cut dealer incentives on the car, sales tanked. Sales of the 200 fell 47% in December and 63% in January compared with the same months the prior year.

The 200 was launched at a time when American consumers were increasingly choosing midsize SUVs and crossovers. Only three other midsize sedans — the Chevrolet Malibu, Mazda 6 and Subaru Legacy — saw retail sales increase in 2015.

FCA had a hard time selling the Chrysler 200 without significant incentives, said Stephanie Brinley, senior analyst for IHS Automotive.

"The story of the 200 is a sad one, because it is a decent product. But it is a little bit small for the segment," Brinley said. "And now (Marchionne) has come out and said the car is going to be canceled. That makes it even more difficult to sell."

"It’s like they gave up on the car and didn’t give it enough time. I wish they had more faith in the car," said Ivan Garrett, who has worked at the plant for 23 years. "I’ve never seen them give up on a car so quickly."

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2016/02/22/long-layoff-looms-fcas-sterling-heights-plant/80473856/

I wonder how long before they pull the plug on the dismal Dodge Dart?

Main problem is a legacy of sub par products, dating back to the 70's. The 200 is just the latest 'Sebring/LeBaron/Volare' line of 3rd rate cars, always behind and sold cheaply.

The back seat is too small and Sergio priced them too high, after selling the bargain basement Sebring based 200's. The Dart relied too much on "It's Italian" and expected import car [Civic F&F] fans to come flocking.

Serg is giving up and hoping a savior comes along, but fat chance! More likely a buyer will say "We want Jeep/Ram. The rest, no way!"

Main problem is a legacy of sub par products, dating back to the 70's. The 200 is just the latest 'Sebring/LeBaron/Volare' line of 3rd rate cars, always behind and sold cheaply.

The back seat is too small and Sergio priced them too high, after selling the bargain basement Sebring based 200's. The Dart relied too much on "It's Italian" and expected import car [Civic F&F] fans to come flocking.

Serg is giving up and hoping a savior comes along, but fat chance! More likely a buyer will say "We want Jeep/Ram. The rest, no way!"

I think they made a mistake calling the Sebring refresh the 200. That hurt the name's reputation.

• Like 1

Rental companies must have stopped ordering 200's and Neons Darts, so they are cutting losses. I don't see them quickly coming back with 'new versions'.

Mopar fan boys also claim "Dodge is switching to cars based on RWD Alpha Romeos!", in what universe? They really think "just around the corner, good times are coming!" As if.

• Like 1

I think they made a mistake calling the Sebring refresh the 200. That hurt the name's reputation.

I felt the same way. The 200, while an improvement over the Sebring, was still clearly just a refreshed Sebring. I thought they were wasting the potential of the 200 name on it.

I'm surprised they don't try to turn it into a fleet special for another year or so. Maybe they can't produce it cheap enough to be worthwhile.