Driverless Technology

That's because Windoes XP was really good. There's a reason that so many people are still using it after MS stopped mainstream support for it.

Trust me its not that "good" lots of security issues with it that your normal user wouldn't notice. It was a good OS almost 15 years ago.

Just try relating that to a car, cell phone or nearly anything else out there....lots of improvements since then.

Do you know how much data google collects from visting BON?

Or from your smartphone?

the slope Started Slipping a decade Ago, its just now with Windows 10 that you can see on the desktop what has been going on in you pocket for the 10 years.

Yep, that's why I would love to buy a place up north and just go off the grid entirely.

That's the price of it being "free"

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

This is true. Same with cruise ships.

There's less to crash into by air and by sea than by land, however.

There is also a big difference between autopilot being used part time with actual pilots to back it up and a car with no drivers.

I could easily see autopilot like functions for cars in certain situations, but completely driverless is a huge leap with too many issues for widespread use.

• 1 month later...

There is also a big difference between autopilot being used part time with actual pilots to back it up and a car with no drivers.

I could easily see autopilot like functions for cars in certain situations, but completely driverless is a huge leap with too many issues for widespread use.

My concern with this 'driver takes over when needed' scenario is the drivers may have so little experience driving they won't have a clue what to do for that situation.

For those bragging 'how many miles and no fatality', how many vehicles are we counting? less than a 1000, 500, 250, 100?

I just don't trust technology that much.

I was provided a loaner laptop where I work, they were backing up my data before any troubleshooting etc,.

During that time I could not use my soft phone to take calls.

The IT guy stated I should have been able to kick my original laptop off the phone server and log in.

Didn't happen that way.

Also, how secure will they be made and how easy will they be hacked by the owner etc to cause problems.

I'm starting to feel it's the Millennials that are 'driving' this driver less car idea.

Like watching an old 70's TV sci-fi movie where the technology broke down and no one knew how to use it manually or make it work again.

Finally, as Red Forman from 'That 70's Show',

"Where's my hover car we were all promised."

Just like flying cars, which according to Popular Science back in the 60's we were supposed to have by now, I'm not sure autonomous cars are going to "fly," pardon the pun! There are simply too many scenarios to be considered on the roads. How in the heck can these cars sense where the lanes are in a blinding snow storm? How can they see the highway signs, some with wet snow stuck to them? I'm wondering if these autonomous cars can navigate and interpret a situation where there is a traffic backup over some rairoad tracks. Will the car know to wait until traffic ahead has moved far enough ahead so it can cross the tracks and not be stuck on them? Maybe. What is the sense of me buying a car if I'm not going to drive it? I might as well take a taxi or a bus! If Ford wants to be a mobility company, they should start manufacturing intercity buses, interstate motor coaches, school buses, water taxis/ferries, locomotives. Start putting their truck diesel engines to real use.

Just like flying cars, which according to Popular Science back in the 60's we were supposed to have by now, I'm not sure autonomous cars are going to "fly," pardon the pun! There are simply too many scenarios to be considered on the roads. How in the heck can these cars sense where the lanes are in a blinding snow storm? How can they see the highway signs, some with wet snow stuck to them? I'm wondering if these autonomous cars can navigate and interpret a situation where there is a traffic backup over some rairoad tracks. Will the car know to wait until traffic ahead has moved far enough ahead so it can cross the tracks and not be stuck on them? Maybe. What is the sense of me buying a car if I'm not going to drive it? I might as well take a taxi or a bus! If Ford wants to be a mobility company, they should start manufacturing intercity buses, interstate motor coaches, school buses, water taxis/ferries, locomotives. Start putting their truck diesel engines to real use.

The only place I see autonomous cars working is in some special HOV lane where only autonomous cars can drive. But you then there would have to be some extensive upgrade to the highway system that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

It will take infrastructure. That is how cars will see the road in a snowstorm, sensors in the road. Current systems that use camera's are temporary. It will also take a lot of time to cover the country. It will start in the cities and will spread out slowly. I just was able to get internet at my house that wasn't dial up or satellite but it made it out there. For a long time cars will need to have manual and automated systems.

As far as the liability issue. If there is a child in the road the only logical solution is for the vehicle to come to a safe stop as quickly as possible just as a person would do but the computer might do it quicker. The liability would go to the guardians of the child that shouldn't have been in the road.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As far as the liability issue. If there is a child in the road the only logical solution is for the vehicle to come to a safe stop as quickly as possible just as a person would do but the computer might do it quicker. The liability would go to the guardians of the child that shouldn't have been in the road.

I agree, but we also saw parents who didn't want to take responsibility of having their children play in the driveway and were running over their kids, and now we have back up cameras mandated in vehicles, because of the irresponsible parent.

As to why kids need to play on a driveway or front yard, is beyond me... :fool:

I agree, but we also saw parents who didn't want to take responsibility of having their children play in the driveway and were running over their kids, and now we have back up cameras mandated in vehicles, because of the irresponsible parent.

That's not it at all. There are things you simply can't see behind the vehicle from the driver's seat. You can do a walk around, get in the car and before you can start moving something could show up that you didn't see.

And to think that as a responsible parent that could never happen to you is ignorant.

• Like 3

It's pretty obvious you don't have kids.

It's not about them playing in the driveway, and some kids only have a front yard. It's about kids slipping away quickly and going where their parents wouldn't normally let them go. It's amazing how quickly little kids can slip away, just while you are doing something as simple as going to the bathroom.

Oops.

Tesla Model S Owner Claims Vehicle Went Rogue Causing An Accident By Itself, Factory Says RTFM

The sensors in my edge go nuts in drivethroughs, wonder how driverless cars handle them.

Naturally, it's not Tesla's fault. :)

But if a car can't figure out how not to bump into a trailer right in front of it, how can one expect driverless taxis to be summoned (pun not intentional) to your location from miles away?