Ford investing $145M in 3.5L EcoBoost plant

Source: Left Lane News

Ford is investing $145 million into its Cleveland Engine Plant to support production of its 3.5L EcoBoost V6.

Part of Ford's plan to invest $9 billion into its United States operations over the next four years, the $145 million investment in Cleveland will create or retain 150 jobs. Those new employees will be charged with building the next-generation of Ford's 3.5L EcoBoost V6, which will debut in the 2017 F-150.

More at link above.

Interesting that in the past sales breakdown of F150 engines:

Before 2016 YM:

3.5 EB - 45%

5.0 - 45%

3.5 NA - 5%

6.2V8 - 5%

2016 YM

3.5 EB - 30%

2.7 EB - 30%

5.0 - 30%

3.5 NA - 10%

That's completely different to the sales mix over at GM

where Silverado/Sierra are still heavily biased to 5.3 V8 (~75%)

• Like 1

Interesting that in the past sales breakdown of F150 engines:

Before 2016 YM:

3.5 EB - 45%

5.0 - 45%

3.5 NA - 5%

6.2V8 - 5%

2016 YM

3.5 EB - 30%

2.7 EB - 30%

5.0 - 30%

3.5 NA - 10%

That's completely different to the sales mix over at GM

where Silverado/Sierra are still heavily biased to 5.3 V8 (~75%)

Because turbos are cool :)

So, sales of the 3.5L EB has actually gone DOWN in the F150 with the addition of the 2.7L, but Ford is investing more money in that plant and hiring more people. Does that mean we can expect the 3.5L EB to spread a bit more? I know Explorer sales are taking off with the Platinum, but I doubt that makes up for the F150 drop. Is it coming to the F250 (I keep hoping)?

So, sales of the 3.5L EB has actually gone DOWN in the F150 with the addition of the 2.7L, but Ford is investing more money in that plant and hiring more people. Does that mean we can expect the 3.5L EB to spread a bit more? I know Explorer sales are taking off with the Platinum, but I doubt that makes up for the F150 drop. Is it coming to the F250 (I keep hoping)?

Taurus SHO taking off all of a sudden?

Maybe expecting larger sales for the next gen Expy / Navi. Ranger, Bronco, Aviator ?

Edited by Anthony
  • Like 1

I seems to me the EB35 is the heavy-hitter of the F-150 so maybe folks realize they don't need it and the EB27 is working just great for them. As for the EB35 going to the F-250, I hope so too.

No doubt the 2.7 EB pulled sales from both 3.5 EB and 5.0 V8 sales but there's a lot of changes coming in the pipeline with Raptor relaunch later this year in all three body styles and new 3.5EB. It's also hard to gauge the impact the ne gearbox will have on product mix, it could make the V8 a lot more attractive:

And then we have a diesel F150 camoed truck ..... Ford covering all bases?

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Well, wasn't the 2.7 intended to be the volume engine anyway? So not as if it's unexpected, given the way the engine availability is structured......that said, it does make the investment interesting. But...is this investment to expand production? Or simply for improvements to the facility to produce the new version (with new processes, etc).

So any guesses so far how much power the next 3.5L EB will have ? 430-450HP should be easily attainable. The 3.0L EB is projected to make 400HP. Do the 3.0 and 3.5L share much in common ?

Well isn't it supposed to have at least 450-hp in the Raptor. So at least that much.

With a new block and new heads it would seem that the upcoming 3.5 is a nano and not a reworked cyclone.

No, it's an evolution of the previous Cyclone, much like Coyote was to previous Mod Motor.

It's definitly not a Nano because it still has an alloy block and shared the previous 3.5's bore and stroke.

ford-ecoboost-engine-display.jpg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

What I'm curious about is if the updated 3.5 will be replacing the old 3.5 within a year or so in the F150. And will the Gen 1 3.5 continue in the Explorer and other CUV's, or is that all likely to transition to 2.7EB.

I think it would depend on the application.

Yes, I think the 3.5 in the F-150 would be replaced, but while we know the Raptor would get the 450+ version, I think the other trucks below it will get lower power versions of it to maintain Raptor's exclusivity.

Regarding Explorer, given it's supposed to soldier on for another 2-3 years at least, I think it would get the upgraded version (but the lower power version) assuming the transmission can take it.

Expy/Navi I see sticking with the current one, as they're due to be replaced within the next year or two.

I thought the point of the separate injectors outside the cylinder was to prevent the crud buildup on the back of the intake valves. All the detergent in the world added to your gas, of whatever brand, won't do any good if it doesn't hit the problem area. So, detergent sprayed from the intake side keeps the valves crud-free. Sort of a take off on the oil-squirters pointed at the bottom of pistons.

Isn't the GT already coming with this dual injector setup?

I thought the point of the separate injectors outside the cylinder was to prevent the crud buildup on the back of the intake valves. All the detergent in the world added to your gas, of whatever brand, won't do any good if it doesn't hit the problem area. So, detergent sprayed from the intake side keeps the valves crud-free. Sort of a take off on the oil-squirters pointed at the bottom of pistons.

Isn't the GT already coming with this dual injector setup?

That is what was reported awhile back but I don't remember the source. It does make sense.

As far as I can tell, none of the modern DI or EB engines have reported any significant issues with crud build up

on the back side of the inlet valves, that had more to do with early versions of European engines with improper

stem sealing. With all the Ecoboosts running around we would have heard something by now.......