Quickclear Windshild in USA/Canada?

So Ford has been making a big deal PR etc of the heated wiper park on the new 2017 Escape (which you can actually get on a 2016 Escape/MKC) https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/03/04/escape-is-first-ford-suv-in-u-s--to-feature-wiper-de-icer.html),which made me think why don't they offer the Quickclear windshield that has been in Europe/world for 25+ years? The '06-'08 Explorer and former PAG groups still use it here in the US but it you can't get it on any US/Canadian model seems like that would be a better fit for a cold weather package as its the full windshield.

Any one know why doesn't Ford offer the heated windshield on NA versions of the cars?

https://youtu.be/H9A0xMoCabQ

Edited by jasonj80

It was on the 2000-2006 Lincoln LS (thanks to S-type). No idea why they haven't brought it back.

Then again it also had select-shift which disappeared for several years as well.

The LS didn't have this, some Ford and Lincoln models had this feature in the late 80's but it was an insurance nightmare because they were expensive to replace and had a high failure rate. The LS did have the heater elements at the base of the windshield, which only served to thaw the windshield wipers from the glass but didn't actually keep the windshield wipers clear.

As a 3-time LS owner, I do remember the disappearance of features later in its lifecycle, like the elimination of rain sensing wipers which actually worked better than any of the rain sensing wipers I've used in recent Fords/Lincolns.

Edited by BORG

The LS didn't have this, The LS did have the heater elements at the base of the windshield, which only served to thaw the windshield wipers from the glass but didn't actually keep the windshield wipers clear.

I was referring to the heated wiper park on the 2017 escape which I think is exactly the same.

Edited by akirby

The more I think about this the crazier it seems, they probably spent ~$1,000,000 designing and engineering something for the Escape that a better version of it already existed in the Ford World. Fiesta, Focus, C-Max, Fusion (Mondeo), Escape (Kuga) Transit and Edge all have this system designed & engineered in the Ford parts bin.

I did see that you CAN order it on the Transit Connect in NA for $295 msrp.

The Grand Marquis of the 90's used to have a heated windshield. Was $1k to get those replaced.

I'm wondering if this new iteration is built within the windshield itself. I'm wondering if the heater is built into the dash and just heats the bottom portion of the glass. They don't really say how this is working. But to put a heater at the base of the glass would make more sense. It would keep windshield replacements cheaper than heated glass.

The old 80's Instaclear Ford system used a thin layer of Gold/silver/zinc oxide in the windshield that would heat up, which is why it was very expensive. The new system Quickclear is much much cheaper and uses super fine wires imbedded between the layers in the windshield, the replacement costs and OEM cost to do this is much less. It is actually standard on most new Ford's in Europe.

The Grand Marquis of the 90's used to have a heated windshield. Was $1k to get those replaced.

I'm wondering if this new iteration is built within the windshield itself. I'm wondering if the heater is built into the dash and just heats the bottom portion of the glass. They don't really say how this is working. But to put a heater at the base of the glass would make more sense. It would keep windshield replacements cheaper than heated glass.

But you have that already with the normal defroster. Unless you meant an electric heat source but that would have to be attached to the glass somehow. Although maybe it could be removable so it could be reused. That would solve the glass cost issue.

But you have that already with the normal defroster. Unless you meant an electric heat source but that would have to be attached to the glass somehow. Although maybe it could be removable so it could be reused. That would solve the glass cost issue.

That's basically what I'm saying. A secondary heat source concentrated on the lower backside of the glass.

As far as that goes, why not just add some defroster wires along the bottom like the rear glass? Does that increase the cost significantly?

That's exactly what both of these systems are, the heated wiper-park is along the bottom of the windshield, Quickclear is the full windshield.

Ford's Quick Defrost Windshield/Rear Window option was first introduced in 1974 on two of its top of the line prestige cars, the Ford Thunderbird and Continental Mark IV. Using the same space age technology as the Boeing 747 electrically heated windshield. A transparent, thinly coated gold-bearing metallic film is sandwiched between layers of polyvinyl butyral and glass. When electrical current is applied to this film, it warms quickly and evenly to rapidly clear the glass of frost or ice. A second alternator is provided on cars equipped with this option, and two defrost power levels were provided: high for initial fast clearing, and low to keep the glass clear. After three to four minutes of operation, the glass areas are mostly cleared. One characteristic of this glass is its distinctive gold tint, clearly visible from outside the car, but barely perceptible from within. In addition to fast defrosting, this film layer laminated within the layers of glass rejects non-visible solar heat, which improves air conditioning performance during the warmer months. Known in the glass industry as the DW825 windshield, this option was short lived due in part to its cost, which was $306.70 on the Mark IV in 1974, and peaked at $360 on that same model in 1976.

• Like 1

Apparently some radar detectors get upset with them :)

I remember that being a complaint of 'Vette owners in the late-'80s or early-'90s. IIRC, Chebbie accommodated them by leaving a "window" near the rear view mirror that was devoid of the heating film.

Edited by SoonerLS