Lincoln Navigator Reignites Bold

Is it possible that we're seeing Navigator L become the new Navigator and the standard Navigator become Aviator?

I'm beginning to wonder whether this would suit Lincoln's purposes better in that the weight reduction achieved

with a SWB navigator puts that new weight as similar to what a D3 Explorer based Aviator would weigh.

Lincoln would then have the advantage of two more readily identifiable models to sell to buyers.

Aviator could start around $50K while new Navigator could sell at SWB Escalade prices.

I'm happy either way but seeing the up side of renaming one of the Navigators to get an advantage

in increasing three row Utility sales without added load on Explorer production...

Re body shop,

We know that Super duty goes first this year, a new aluminum body shop is nearing completion

and once Super Duty production is normalized, work will begin on the second line for the Utilities.

Once that is completed, the old steel body shop get converted into storage space.

Edited by jpd80

But is it aluminum?

Yes, didn't you already ask that?

I think he's talking about that character line in the C-pillar, just in front of the glass panel. IMHO, it's not a "fake opera window;" it looks more like a "fake firefox window," but maybe that's just me. ;)

Ah. I didn't see that at all (I saw the pillar/character line, but not that it looks like a fake opera window).

Is it possible that we're seeing Navigator L become the new Navigator and the standard Navigator become Aviator?

I'm beginning to wonder whether this would suit Lincoln's purposes better in that the weight reduction achieved

with a SWB navigator puts that new weight as similar to what a D3 Explorer based Aviator would weigh.

Lincoln would then have the advantage of two more readily identifiable models to sell to buyers.

Aviator could start around $50K while new Navigator could sell at SWB Escalade prices.

I don't really see that happening.

https://youtu.be/v0gUnkUd04A

Just got back from show, here's a iMovie I made of the reveal and some pics I took.

Hey Matthew what did you think of the new Navigator Concept?

giphy.gif

What was your reaction when you first saw it?

giphy.gif

Do you think the Navigator will be a success?

tumblr_n1vo7gC5by1tqe303o1_r1_250.gif

Thanks Matthew, you can go back to bumping your chest now.

tumblr_mzud44rfus1qg4blro4_500.gif

• Like 5

The more I see it, the more I dislike it, especially in live video which reveals it's very boxy dimensions and awkward slab-sided design. It does look like a giant station wagon. It's a little too retro and unimaginative for me. I'm hoping for something better in production, Continental turned out okay.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

The only Ford truck hardpoints would be those associated with the cowl.

And cripes. Do you want something that's eighteen feet long and swoopy?

Geez. Buy a '72 Buick Riviera then.

What I want is a Mercedes GL Class, not a bus.

Edited by BORG

But that concept isn't the Navigator L, and that GL is something you can actually buy. And if you don't think that wide-fendered, high shouldered SUV looks more like a van...then I'm not sure what to say.

The Navigator could still turn out fine, but to me I see the boxiness of a pickup truck and very little effort done to mask it...even in concept form. And they applied some other brand's design ontop of it which essentially makes it look like they did it wrong. I'm not saying it has to appeal to me, but I am in the market for a large luxury SUV and this is quite far from what I was hoping for....but not unexpected. I just don't want to be in a position to say "it's good for what they have to work with". Not at this price anyway.

Edited by BORG

The Navigator could still turn out fine, but to me I see the boxiness of a pickup truck and very little effort done to mask it...even in concept form. And they applied some other brand's design ontop of it which essentially makes it look like they did it wrong. I'm not saying it has to appeal to me, but I am in the market for a large luxury SUV and this is quite far from what I was hoping for....but not unexpected. I just don't want to be in a position to say "it's good for what they have to work with". Not at this price anyway.

Think of intended audience, there has to be some truck boxyness there to appease those with more conservative tastes,

you can't go all round and curves or the MKT starts creeping in, maybe something they are trying to distance, yes?

Edited by jpd80

like a van.

I didn't say van. I said minivan. The way the GL's styling cues attempt to break up the visual bulk of what is quite obviously a big vehicle is so very very minivan-ish.

You're not going to hide 'boxiness' on a vehicle that is a fourteen foot box attached to a four foot box.

Oh look! I'm convinced this guy is not bald!!

combovercarllevin.jpg?w=780

The closest current vehicle to this is the Yukon, IMO, and I'm very impressed with the way the strong character lines on the Yukon emphasize the length and de-emphasize the height of that vehicle.

USC50GMS031C021003_Large.jpg

It's a minor point, but I'd like to see the headlights on this concept mimic the headlights on the Continental concept with their multiple Lincoln crest light elements (is this for the LED lights option?). The headlights on this concept just don't look right to me, they give the front end a squinting eyes look, not to mention that they are not consistent with the theme established by the Continental. Can anyone photoshop a version of the Continental headlights onto the Navi?

• Like 1

It hasn't come up much, but I do think the Yukons are the best looking of the GM SUVs. I'm not displeased that Ford is emphasizing horizontal lines with the Navigator.

Agreed. I know several people who could afford Escalades but buy Denalis instead as they don't like the bling.

It's a minor point, but I'd like to see the headlights on this concept mimic the headlights on the Continental concept with their multiple Lincoln crest light elements (is this for the LED lights option?). The headlights on this concept just don't look right to me, they give the front end a squinting eyes look, not to mention that they are not consistent with the theme established by the Continental. Can anyone photoshop a version of the Continental headlights onto the Navi?

At some point, I plan on trying to make a more production looking version.

• Like 1