Lincoln Navigator Reignites Bold

So if Ford does not shrink the Navigator for its LWB concept proportions, does that open the door for another 3-row Utility below it?

It seems a little strange, sorry can't get my head around 2 x WBs for Expedition and only one for Navigator...

Edited by jpd80

So if Ford does not shrink the Navigator for its LWB concept proportions, does that open the door for another 3-row Utility below it?

It seems a little strange, sorry can't get my head around 2 x WBs for Expedition and only one for Navigator...

There will absolutely be an Aviator slotting in below it. Remember that the 2nd wheelbase option for Navigator only came about because of Expedition having to stretch out to replace the Excursion. This new Gator isn't just trying to be a direct Escalade and ESV alternative... they have a very different mission this time around and a LWB/short overhang configuration is going to give them the exact look and capability they're looking for.

I find it highly improbably that the Expedition/Navigator program is big enough to support 3 different wheelbase lengths - Expedition SWB, Expedition LWB, and a Navigator that splits the difference.

I'm sure the Navigator will just be LWB if reports that it will only be available with only 1 size is true. I also stand by my observation earlier that I believe the concept is a preview for LWB (only?) version and not the SWB.

The Navigator concept looks to be based on the shorter wheelbase but with a notably longer overhang than the current vehicles (or the Expedition mules). I think we still have just 2 wheelbase configurations coming and the Navigator will be riding on the shorter variant but will feature a longer body (which people seem to think is the L but ignore that the wheelbase and door cut outs reference the shorter configuration). The Navigator L largely exists because it's an Expedition, not because it's a vehicle they need for the next-generation which they are now free to design on their own. Considering the significance of the proportions on the concept and how close to production those concepts are, I think this gives us a pretty good hint at how different this vehicle is from the anticipated Expedition layout. Lincoln doesn't need to design two different Navigators when their customers only need one that is the right size...splitting hairs gets unsustainably expensive...Lincoln isn't selling a truck this time and their customers are different than Ford's. It would be one thing if Navigator had a huge customer base, but it doesn't so they are not obligated to follow the previous formula.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

The Expedition concept looks to be based on the shorter wheelbase but with a notably longer overhang than the current vehicles (or the Expedition mules). I think we still have just 2 wheelbase configurations coming and the Navigator will be riding on the shorter variant but will feature a longer body (which people seem to think is the L but ignore that the wheelbase and door cut outs reference the shorter configuration). The Navigator L largely exists because it's an Expedition, not because it's a vehicle they need for the next-generation which they are now free to design on their own. Considering the significance of the proportions on the concept and how close to production those concepts are, I think this gives us a pretty good hint at how different this vehicle is from the anticipated Expedition layout. Lincoln doesn't need to design two different Navigators when their customers only need one that is the right size...splitting hairs gets unsustainably expensive...Lincoln isn't selling a truck this time and their customers are different than Ford's. It would be one thing if Navigator had a huge customer base, but it doesn't so they are not obligated to follow the previous formula.

Navigator concept not Expedition...

Anyway, I guess it wasn't on this forum (I'm too lazy to browse through the pages as I'm on my phone), but I pointed out the similarities between the Navigator concept's wheelbase and door layout compared to the spied Expediton mules.

And yes, I agree Borg, that Navigator will ride on Expy's short wheelbase and that its rear overhand was/will be also longer than Expy's.

• Like 1

From what I've heard, the Navigator will in fact share the wheelbase of the longer Expedition, but will have a shorter overall length thanks to a dramatically shorter rear overhang.

This makes way more sense to me than those who are predicting the inverse. A short wheelbase with an extended rear seems totally dorky and the exact opposite of what Lincoln would want for ride quality and second row room. From my travels across the western 5/8ths of the country (I have hit every state in this region, except New Mexico, in the last year), I just don't see many SWB Expy's/Navi's new enough to carry the redesigned grill-work. I don't know the sales figures, but the shorties seem to be waning out-west. Less room and a choppier ride for almost the same cost and fuel mileage isn't a very appealing equation. Any enhanced offroad capability for the short Expy's is, at best, murky or irrelevant to most buyers. It's not like anyone equates this class of vehicle to the Bronco's of 45 years ago.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

This makes way more sense to me than those who are predicting the inverse. A short wheelbase with an extended rear seems totally dorky and the exact opposite of what Lincoln would want for ride quality and second row room. From my travels across the western 5/8ths of the country (I have hit every state in this region, except New Mexico, in the last year), I just don't see many SWB Expy's/Navi's new enough to carry the redesigned grill-work. I don't know the sales figures, but the shorties seem to be waning out-west. Less room and a choppier ride for almost the same cost and fuel mileage isn't a very appealing equation. Any enhanced offroad capability for the short Expy's is, at best, murky or irrelevant to most buyers. It's not like anyone equates this class of vehicle to the Bronco's of 45 years ago.

Here was my reasoning....
This is the regular length Expedition. The top of the door has a straight cut/opening at the top of the rear door (whether or not this is just a mule characteristic or not, I don't know). Then look at the cut out for the wheel well, which begins roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the wheel well, arching down to the bottom of the door.
2018-ford-expedition-012.jpg
2018-Ford-Expedition-Spy-Shot-1.jpg
Now look at the Navigator concept. (I put the explanation below to get the images closer to each other)
lincoln-navigator-concept-2016-new-york-
The top of the door clearly has a forward rake to it, somewhat similar to the current model, but more noticably - different from the Expedition. Now look to the bottom of the door and the cutout for the rear wheel well......as with Expedition, it begins rougly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the wheel well, also arching down to the bottom of the door (which would be where the blue paint ends in production).
Therefore, I'm thinking it shares its wheelbase with the regular length Expedition....but, the Navigator concept to me does appear to have a longer area behind the rear wheel than the Expedition.
For comparison, here is the Expy EL...
2018-Ford-Expedition-NCI-4.jpg?937bbb
Edited by rmc523

Hey RMC, can you try to graft the Continental headlights (with the separate elements) onto the Navi? I'm really hoping the production Navi will share that design element with the Conti, I do not like the "squinting" appearance of the headlights on the Navi concept.

Well, I did alter the headlights that followed the concept's look, as I believe that will probably carry over to production

Here's a comparison.

Navigator%20-%20Blue_zps0bv6gsiz.jpg

lincoln-navigator-concept001-1.jpg

• Like 1

Here was my reasoning....
This is the regular length Expedition. The top of the door has a straight cut/opening at the top of the rear door (whether or not this is just a mule characteristic or not, I don't know). Then look at the cut out for the wheel well, which begins roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the wheel well, arching down to the bottom of the door.
2018-ford-expedition-012.jpg
2018-Ford-Expedition-Spy-Shot-1.jpg
Now look at the Navigator concept. (I put the explanation below to get the images closer to each other)
lincoln-navigator-concept-2016-new-york-
The top of the door clearly has a forward rake to it, somewhat similar to the current model, but more noticably - different from the Expedition. Now look to the bottom of the door and the cutout for the rear wheel well......as with Expedition, it begins rougly 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the wheel well, also arching down to the bottom of the door (which would be where the blue paint ends in production).
Therefore, I'm thinking it shares its wheelbase with the regular length Expedition....but, the Navigator concept to me does appear to have a longer area behind the rear wheel than the Expedition.
For comparison, here is the Expy EL...
2018-Ford-Expedition-NCI-4.jpg?937bbb

Actually, after this series of comparison, I'm more convinced then ever that Navigator concept is LWB. If you take the Expedition EL and make the rear doors slanted and about 3 inches longer (rather than straight down), it will cut into the wheel wells just like the Navigator concept.

Either way, one thing for sure - Expedition EL will have a much better look and more balanced proportions based than the existing one on these photos.

Edited by bzcat

Actually, after this series of comparison, I'm more convinced then ever that Navigator concept is LWB. If you take the Expedition EL and make the rear doors slanted and about 3 inches longer (rather than straight down), it will cut into the wheel wells just like the Navigator concept.

Either way, one thing for sure - Expedition EL will have a much better look and more balanced proportions based than the existing one on these photos.

From what I was told, the production Navigator will be on the LWB but with a much shorter overhang than the Expedition EL. I'm thinking that the Gator's rear doors will be longer, with the 2nd and 3rd row seats shifted back to make use of the extra length.

RMC, Thats a great graft, cept the lower fascia opening is actually centered. Ford has a nasty habit of having an off-centered ones. ;)

Actually, I used the Conti's lower grille, so technically it's not centered even though from the angle it looks like it hehe.

Thanks though! I wish I could've gotten it out more quickly to get some more traffic seeing it (when the Navigator threads were busier), but oh well!

Edited by rmc523