20" or 18" factory wheels. Pros and Cons.

re5513

For a 2016 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab, there are two tire sizes you can get with associated rims:

One is 275-65 R18

The second option is: 275-55 R20
My thoughts are the the 20" wheels/tires are probably on the order of 6-9 lbs heavier per tire and they have a lower sidewall height compared to the 18" tires/wheels which could make the 20" tire/wheel more at risk for being dented in off road applications. That's the theory anyway.
What I want to ask the forum is real-world experience. Has anyone actually used a 20" rim/tire in off road trails and decided that they were less optimal compared to the factory 18" wheels? I'm probably leaning toward the 18" rims/tires at this point but wanted to see what kinds of comments based on experience I might receive before I make a final decision.
Thanks much!
re5513

>20's look nice, 18's ride better.

Agreed. One idea I had this AM is to use up the 20" tires and then when it's time to replace them, get new off-road rims along with new tires and scale down to 18"s. Do you know if there would be any reprogramming required? The circumference of both setups (stock 20" with 275-55R20 tires versus stock 18" rims with 275-65R18 tires) is virtually identical so I'm guessing then that no re-programming would be required to accommodate the different tire/wheel sizes. Would you agree?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Does anyone know if the wheel size changes the tow capacity ratings on the newer F-150s?  In our previous 06 Ford, we had a lower towing capacity due to the larger wheel size that came stock with the truck.  I am looking to upgrade to a 2013 or newer and want to keep a higher tow capacity for hauling our camper.  Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 5:01 AM, re5513 said:

Based on my experience, I would definitely recommend the 18" rims/tires. The 20" rims/tires are just too heavy and difficult to handle on off road trails. They can easily get dented and damaged, which is something you definitely want to avoid. Stick with the 18" rims/tires for the best results.

Edited by Wasookese