Lincoln MKX Top safety pick

The MKX also scored better in the small overlap test than the Edge which only ranked "Acceptable". Personally I'm quite pleased by this, this is one of Ford's few safety achievers at IIHS.

Edited by BORG

The MKX also scored better in the small overlap test than the Edge which only ranked "Acceptable". Personally I'm quite pleased by this, this is one of Ford's few safety achievers at IIHS.

Probably a running change with the Edge from 2015 - 2016. I'm assuming the 2017 Edge will gain Pre-collision assist (already on the Export Version) and then will move to a top safety pick + as well.

Edited by jasonj80

The two cars have different bodies, I wouldn't be surprised if the variation is simply because of those differences. I know Ford would probably send IIHS the updated Edge if they wanted it re-scored following those changes.

The two cars have different bodies, I wouldn't be surprised if the variation is simply because of those differences.

Doubtful....I'm willing to bet that under the hood, fenders and front end fascia, the Edge And MKX are identical when it comes to crumple zones. From the photos I've seen the small offset test is extreme since the damage comes from outside the main crumple zone and the firewall takes the brunt of the impact.

Looking at the Edge's video, it reacts identically to the MKX does on the same test

Edited by silvrsvt

Without looking at the data, it's impossible to say from observation. You need to know how much the footwell intruded, the forces on the dummy, etc. When so much of the car's exterior influences the test (this is usually correctly by reinforcing the interior wheel well and door frame), I'm willing to bet this plays a bigger roll than the medium overlap. The edge has a farther forward windshield base and A-Pillar which deformed more severely than the MKX, that may have had an influence, who knows.

The Edge still earned Top Safety Pick but couldn't earn the Plus because the 2015 didn't have adaptive cruise or collision warning (it still doesn't have avoidance).

Edited by BORG

How many of these tests do they perform, and how narrow are the bands between the various ratings?

Because if they're only testing one example of each vehicle......... I mean, you're probably not going to see a sample vehicle register a poor rating, and then another sample vehicle record an excellent rating, but there has to be variance. And I would venture to guess, larger variance than the IIHS is comfortable admitting to.

My assumption is that while some parts are engineered to fail predictably, there are a lot of pieces that fail randomly.

The Edge still earned Top Safety Pick but couldn't earn the Plus because the 2015 didn't have adaptive cruise or collision warning (it still doesn't have avoidance).

Edge is not a top safety pick anymore. For 2016 a vehicle needs to have a Good rating in all crash tests and at least Basic in front crash prevention for a Top Safety Pick, to get the Top Safety Pick+ you need to score at lease Advanced or Superior in front crash prevention.

• Like 1

Edge is not a top safety pick anymore. For 2016 a vehicle needs to have a Good rating in all crash tests and at least Basic in front crash prevention for a Top Safety Pick, to get the Top Safety Pick+ you need to score at lease Advanced or Superior in front crash prevention.

You also need to have automatic braking to get top safety pic plus IIRC.

Personally I'm quite pleased by this, this is one of Ford's few safety achievers at IIHS.

+1

This bodes well for future Ford products. Ford has a lot of catching up to do in terms of vehicle crashworthiness; the MKX's excellent performance in IIHS testing suggests the company is heading in the right direction.

Okay, makes more sense. Still better than the Marginal on the Santa Fe, not as good as the Top Safety Pick + on the Murano. Similar to Chevy, Nissan has also been acing these tests.

Edited by BORG

+1

This bodes well for future Ford products. Ford has a lot of catching up to do in terms of vehicle crashworthiness; the MKX's excellent performance in IIHS testing suggests the company is heading in the right direction.

Good to see Ford beat GM to the TSP+ rankings. GM doesn't have any vehicles on the list at all. I'm sure the Edge will join the MKX on the list. The F-150, the only pickup to get the TSP award just needs the new software for the pre-collision assist with pedestrian detection to get the TSP+. I assume that will come with the 2017 refresh.

GM seems to be going backward with their new platforms based on the results of the recent roof strength test of the all new Camaro. When is the last time a vehicle didn't receive a good score on the roof strength test? GM needs to rethink their lightweighting strategy if they're having difficulty achieving a good roof strength test result.

I didn't realize this but the F-Series does not earn TSP+ so the MKX is the first Ford to earn the ranking and only the 2nd American car behind the Chrysler 200 to have the ranking.

So why doesn't the F-Series get TSP+ anyway? It aced all tests and comes available with a crash alert system. The only thing I can think of is that they don't have an "advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention."

​As for the Edge, it's possible to fix it since the issue seems to be centered around a loose seatbelt which allowed the dummy to impact the protruding A-Pillar, although the A-Pillar moved more than the MKX which may not be fixable in the design. So really the differences are likely related to the A-Pillar. The MKX did have slightly less safety-cage deformation/intrusion than the Edge, 9cm vs 11cm.

It'll be interesting to see if Escape and Fusion have been re-engineered for this test with the update. Escape probably needs too much re-engineering to earn a Good rating but the Fusion is fairly close at "Acceptable".

Edited by BORG

TSP+ requires active collision automatic braking.

Or, as the insurance industry prefers to think of it, 'yet another claims reduction device that allows us to air more obnoxious commercials in a largely fruitless effort to convince people to switch carriers.'

But, yeah, active collision automatic braking is shorter and sounds better.

How many people really read those asterisks though... not many I'm sure

Honestly I don't think that many buyers pay attention to anything other than price, styling and features. If it was that important Volvo would have sold a lot more cars back in the 90s.