2016 F150 LIMITED 4x4: VERY DISAPPOINTED

I ordered a 2016 F150 Limited 4x4 and waited for 5 1/2 months for it to arrive here in Honlulu. I had been given some run around about the delivery of the truck and when it would be available for pickup. This evening at 5:17pm here in Honolulu, I picked up the keys for the truck I had been waiting so long for. When I turned it on, the truck already had 8 Engine Hours, 4 Idle Hours and 61 miles on it!!! SERIOUSLY!!! I was told that the truck was offloaded from the ship this morning and they detailed it, prepared it, inspected it and had it ready for pick up this evening for me. But the truck was dirty and had 61 miles on it! WTF?!?!?!!!!

I have bough MANY new vehicles and my last F150 (purchased in July 2015) only had 2 miles on it when I purchased it. I want to take the truck back to the dealership and have them order another truck and return this one. This was such a disappointment for a vehicle which I ordered in January to have the dealership taking it out for joy rides, and who knows what else, before delivering it to me.

Any suggestions? Anything that I can do about this? I paid cash for the truck so taking it back doesn't involve a bank. The Odometer Statement" was false (stating 15 miles-which was still higher than normal) but it was 61 miles! post-54800-0-58731500-1464164336_thumb.jpgpost-54800-0-54731500-1464164341_thumb.jpg

************************************UPDATE***************************************

Not to be one to just complain and not discuss the solutions: I went to the dealership and discussed my concerns about the mileage and condition of the truck. They confirmed that the truck had been QC'd and driven 50 miles as part of the QC process. They could not produce the sticker, but I took them at their word. They also apologized for the condition of the truck, not being cleaned properly, but noted that there was a water main break nearby which shut down their water for a few hours (happens ALL of the time in Hawaii). We have scheduled a proper detailing and they have gone out of their way to make things right and apologized for not communicating very well. All has been settled.

Edited by fdugger

If your last truck only had 2 miles they didn't do the PDI very well. Our guys do about 4 miles just on the PDI drive.

As silvrsvt said Ford may have done more driving/testing on yours.

Your next step should be asking the dealer some questions.

Anything that I can do about this?

Well, if the odometer statement said 15 miles and the ODO had 61 on it, I'd have a good long conversation with these people in the following order:

- Sales manager at the dealership

- General manager at the dealership

- Dealer principal.

As the additional miles were almost certainly picked up after the vehicle was offloaded onto the island.

You likely can't get a refund on the truck without a long, drawn out, blood pressure raising hassle, that may or may not involve lawyers.

But I would expect significant concessions from the dealership in the form of free maintenance, detailing, etc. It's hard to put a dollar value on what happened, as the issue isn't so much 46 miles of driving as it is the possibility that your truck was someone else's lunch time entertainment.

Bottom line: If a few of their lot jockeys decided to go joyriding in your truck, a conscientious dealership will make that right for you, but you have to work with them as opposed to accusing the dealer management of either tolerating or openly encouraging such conduct.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

2 things.

When they ship via rail, which if I'm not mistaken yours was to get to the port it was sent to Hawaii from, cars tend to get covered with dust. Railroads are dirty.

Your truck could have also been either taken for a road test at the plan (more common than you would think) or driven to a holding lot to wait to get loaded onto a train (also more common than you would think)

AFAIK, the odometer statement is filled out at the point of sale. It's not on the MCO.

So the 15 miles on the ODO statement would, I expect, cover various bits of driving required to get the vehicle to the port, etc.

The issue, to me, is the 46 miles that magically appeared between when the bill of sale was filled out and when the truck was delivered/picked up.

Also, dust from transit should've been taken care of as part of the pre-delivery detail.

• Like 3

AFAIK, the odometer statement is filled out at the point of sale. It's not on the MCO.

So the 15 miles on the ODO statement would, I expect, cover various bits of driving required to get the vehicle to the port, etc.

The issue, to me, is the 46 miles that magically appeared between when the bill of sale was filled out and when the truck was delivered/picked up.

Also, dust from transit should've been taken care of as part of the pre-delivery detail.

Mileage is filled out by the dealer at delivery time. It's almost guaranteed Ford did a 50 mile QC test before it left the factory.

• Like 2

Mileage is filled out by the dealer at delivery time. It's almost guaranteed Ford did a 50 mile QC test before it left the factory.

Re-read the OP. The odometer statement says 15 miles, and it had 61 miles on it when he drove it off the lot. And it was dirty.

Edited by RichardJensen

I used to take a unit home every day to the tune of 30 miles round trip.The next day at 11:am you had to report out on that unit. The unit was supposed to be perfect as it had been final QC'd. If you found a problem it was fixed and the problem was fed back to production and QC. Most times

a problem generated a 50 car check looking for a trend and may be required for 10 days. If you found the same problem in the audit more special procedures . If it was a delta operation, shipping was shut down.A sticker was placed on the window explaining the miles. A good unit to get. No one

else was allowed to drive the unit.

These are the types of posts I hate! Sorry OP. Your subject makes is sound like you got a lemon or just hate the truck. In reality, this has nothing to do with the truck performance or function. This has more to do with your expectations not being met and your disappointment that follows. It's fair to feel disappointed, especially on a truck you order and have been waiting on. However, if it were truly a deal breaker I wouldn't of done the deal. If you signed the paperwork before giving it a once over, that is your fault. If you gave it a once over and the dealer then added 50 miles, then you have a legitimate gripe about that dealer.

If it is a dealer issue, Richard is right in saying that you should follow through. Polite but stern should get you some free oil changes or maintenance. Worst case scenario, somebody at the dealership was joyriding your truck for 50 miles and you get nothing. Not a whole you can do, unless you want to spend a whole lot of money and time in the legal arena with a relatively low probability of getting anything you want.

"- Sales manager at the dealership

- General manager at the dealership

- Dealer principal."

• Like 2

Re-read the OP. The odometer statement says 15 miles, and it had 61 miles on it when he drove it off the lot. And it was dirty.

I thought the odometer statement was generated at the time of the sale, not when it was delivered to the dealership. Meaning the dealer just put the wrong mileage on the form.

If that is incorrect then please let me know.

Have someone run your VIN in the Ford computer system to see the day it was delivered. If it matches with what you said and there was no Ford document on the window sticker saying they drove it for X miles for QC, then your dealer took it out from the point of delivery to them to the point of delivery to you.

So many vehicles brand new from the factory have 60+ miles on them.. that shouldn't be something to really be upset over. Having a dealer joyride in your truck... well yes I'd be angry.

You need to collect yourself and figure out what happened first before going overboard like the topic of this thread.

I thought the odometer statement was generated at the time of the sale, not when it was delivered to the dealership. Meaning the dealer just put the wrong mileage on the form.

When we bought our focus it had 232 miles on it because they had to drive it up from Ohio. The paperwork all states it had 232 miles on it at time of delivery. Either his dealer messed up the paperwork at time of delivery, or wrote it out at the time of order assuming it would only have 15 miles on it.

And to add, I just read your duplicate thread in the management section.

You signed all the paperwork and wrote a check BEFORE the truck was delivered? Sorry but hard to feel bad for someone who does something like this. You should have never turned over money or signed a purchase/sales agreement before the vehicle is there and you inspect it.

Edited by blwnsmoke

When we bought our focus it had 232 miles on it because they had to drive it up from Ohio. The paperwork all states it had 232 miles on it at time of delivery. Either his dealer messed up the paperwork at time of delivery, or wrote it out at the time of order assuming it would only have 15 miles on it.

Exactly. It's the mileage actually on the vehicle when you take delivery, not when it originally arrived to the dealer.

I can certainly understand the OP's disappointment. However, my last 2 cars were brand-new, the first of them 2 had 49 miles when I bought it and the second about 60. I still consider ANY new model year car with less than 100 miles on it to be new. But like others, I'm surprised that he apparently paid for the vehicle without noting the odometer. Even so, it's highly doubtful to me that there's any point in attempting to take the car back or involve lawyers. I'd settle for a strongly worded written statement to the dealership with copies to Ford, and maybe hope to get some free scheduled maintenance and/or accessories, as others have suggested.

This is the scenario I considered most likely:

- Dealer preps car for delivery & generates the paperwork before the OP shows up.

- Clean truck with 15 miles on the ODO is sitting on the lot.

- Someone, for whatever reason, puts 46 miles on the truck--off the lot, and possibly off road.

- Customer shows up, and well, this post ensues.

• Like 1

OP:

At CAP (Chicago Assembly Plant) which currently makes Taurus, it used to be (not sure how it is now) that one could sign out a car and take it home for the night, as long as they filled out a review sheet and returned it the next day. It was called "QC" but in Reality, it was people taking home a car each night. Keep in mind they could abuse the F out of it and zero people would really know - exactly the opposite of how some people want their new ride broken in/treated - as long long as they weren't caught and/or the car wasn't a sh1thole when they brought it back. Now, officially of course, this didn't happen. In Reality, this happened all the time.

Most people in the plant obviously didn't F with this, they'd just drive their own vehicles to and from each day. But it really just takes one to get your ride at some point in the transpo (from the time it rolls off line to the time the stealership gets it to you) and it's going to have at minimum more than necessary miles on it. Don't worry, they're, "QC'ing" it. :)

Until carmakers can sell directly to customers and control the process the entire way, this is always going to happen. It's surprising how little customer satisfaction actually matters at dealerships.

Edited by BORG

This is the scenario I considered most likely:

- Dealer preps car for delivery & generates the paperwork before the OP shows up.

- Clean truck with 15 miles on the ODO is sitting on the lot.

- Someone, for whatever reason, puts 46 miles on the truck--off the lot, and possibly off road.

- Customer shows up, and well, this post ensues.

Unless the customer saw it with 15 miles on the odo I think it's just as likely that it came in with 61 miles and they just made a mistake on the paperwork. It wouldn't be hard to do given the number of vehicles that get sold every day.