Rear seat warning systems

Today GM introduced a rear seat reminder system that makes noise and flashes a reminder in the gauge cluster if it thinks someone is in the back seat when then vehicle turns off. The system is to prevent people from leaving kids or animals in the car by accident.

i wonder when Ford will introduce something similar. Shouldn't be terribly difficult since many new Ford model have rear seat air bags. would have to think there is a weight sensor for that system.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/06/15/2017-gmc-acadia-rear-seat-reminder-news/

Hell why not. We see far too many cases of people forgetting children and pets (how that continues to happen still mystifies me but that's a conversation for another topic) in cars for automakers not to include something like this across the board. I'm kinda surprised the government hasn't yet mandated it like they did for backup cameras.

I was thinking of side airbags - forgot about the inflatable seat belts.

But those probably just use a latch sensor - if the latch is engaged it deploys.

Yeah, latch makes sense. I've yet to have someone sit in the rear and not have a hard time buckling them at first.

As the father of a child still in a car seat, I'd like to know more.

The car seat doesn't weigh that much, but it stays in place all the time, and it's artificially heavy by virtue of being held down by the latch connections, and the seatbelt isn't used. I suppose you'd have the chime going off whether a child is in the seat or not?

Regarding airbags, I'm not sure if an airbag going off next to a child seat wouldn't matter or may present a greater hazard than not going off at all.

By the time this comes to the market, my son probably won't be in a car seat anymore, but I'm just wondering how this is implemented.

Edited by RangerM

Yes, if you used a weight sensor it would have to warn you when the seat was installed whether the child was in it or not. If you always have a seat in there you would probably start ignoring the warnings or turn them off.

If it's sensitive enough it could learn the difference between the seat with and without the child but that would be tricky.

I'm sorry but if you need a reminder that you have your kids in the car you shouldn't have them. In the 4 years I have had kids I have never once "forgotten" they were in the back seat. But then again I also don't text/facebook/snapchat/sext while I drive either so I suppose I pay more attention?

• Like 3

I'm sorry but if you need a reminder that you have your kids in the car you shouldn't have them. In the 4 years I have had kids I have never once "forgotten" they were in the back seat. But then again I also don't text/facebook/snapchat/sext while I drive either so I suppose I pay more attention?

That's really easy to say, but I can see how that would happen if your mind is distracted (and I'm not talking about smartphones) and you're doing something outside your normal routine.