24 Hours of Lemans

and aren't the GM fans howling about Balance Of Performance for Corvette

even though the Ford GT was hit again after qualifying...

Both the Ferrari 488 and Ford GT are new and built to the new rules. Corvette is older. They'll get their turn again.

Ford completes its quest, wins Le Mans again 50 years later

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/06/19/ford-completes-its-quest-wins-le-mans-again-50-years-later

And the production GT made its debut with Raj behind the wheel.

2017 Ford GT in production guise surprises at Le Mans

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104556_2017-ford-gt-in-production-guise-surprises-at-le-mans

Edited by JasonM

Great race! I watched most of it-and Ford did a great job on the YT channel. Lots of comments about other brand streaming either was for pay or glitched.

Still waiting to figure out what happens with Risi Ferrari. Straight up, I wouldn't have pitted but accepted any penalty-even if it meant third place.

..doesn't seem Risi gets penalized? And those announcers were def showing their disdain for Ford. They crapped on them for not having GTs for sale despite waivers. They were indignant at the idea of #82 potentially penalized for ignoring a flag, yet failed to acknowledge Ford had to pit for the same.

..doesn't seem Risi gets penalized? And those announcers were def showing their disdain for Ford. They crapped on them for not having GTs for sale despite waivers. They were indignant at the idea of #82 potentially penalized for ignoring a flag, yet failed to acknowledge Ford had to pit for the same.

You must have listened to a different broadcast.

Ford completes its quest, wins Le Mans again 50 years laterhttp://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/06/19/ford-completes-its-quest-wins-le-mans-again-50-years-later

And the production GT made its debut with Raj behind the wheel.

2017 Ford GT in production guise surprises at Le Manshttp://www.motorauthority.com/news/1104556_2017-ford-gt-in-production-guise-surprises-at-le-mans

Guys...I just read this: Porsche wins 24 Hours of Le Mans as Toyota breaks down with two to go!!! I thought Ford won!

Oops...It was the overall winner. Ford was mentioned deep in the article as taking the podium in their class. Sorry.

Edited by bdegrand

Ford was the overall GT winner, beating Fiat, I mean Ferrari.

FORD WINS LE MANS!

No. 68 Ford Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GT of Sébastien Bourdais, Joey Hand and Dirk Müller takes victory in LM GTE Pro category

Victory comes exactly 50 years on from Ford’s 1-2-3 victory at Le Mans in 1966

No. 69 Ford GT finishes on the podium in third place

The Ford vs. Ferrari battle is rekindled at Le Mans

LE MANS, France -- The No. 68 Ford GT of Sébastien Bourdais (FRA), Joey Hand (US) and Dirk Müller (GER) crossed the finish line at Le Mans at three o’clock on Sunday, as the overall GT winner of the 2016 Le Mans 24 Hours. The No. 69 Ford GT of Ryan Briscoe (AUS), Scott Dixon (NZ) and Richard Westbrook (GB) joined the winners on the podium after scoring third place. The Nos. 66 and 67 Ford GTs finished in fourth and ninth places, respectively.

“This is an historic moment for the Ford Motor Company,” said Bill Ford, executive chairman, Ford Motor Company. “We dared to dream that we could return to Le Mans, 50 years after the incredible 1966 win, and take on the toughest competition in the world. The pride we all felt when the Ford GT crossed the line at Le Mans is indescribable. The team that designed, built and raced the Ford GT has worked tirelessly to bring us to this result and I am proud of each and every one of them. The Ford Chip Ganassi Racing team demonstrated the spirit of Ford, that of innovation, determination and true teamwork. We cherish our history and heritage, but today we made history again and I couldn't be more proud.”

First unveiled to the media at Le Mans last year, the Ford GT’s Le Mans victory comes 395 days after the car turned a wheel for the first time on May 20, 2015, at Calabogie Motorsports Park in Canada.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia-mobile/fna/us/en/news/2016/06/19/ford-wins-le-mans.html

Congrats to Ford. While a truck builder was judging a Ford truck bed for not holding up to a task no truck user would employ, Ford took a truck engine, a V6, put it in a car and spanked that same truck makers sports car with a big V8 by over 5 laps in France. :headspin:

• Like 2

Had race officials chosen to ignore their own penalty against Ferarri, Ford would have placed 1-2-3 instead of 1-3-4.

"The race wasn’t without controversy: with under a half-hour to go, the No. 82 Ferrari was given a black-and-orange flag, a signal to pit for a penalty for having a faulty leader light. The Ferrari team chose not to pit, which could have resulted in a disqualification, but the race officials did not enforce it. If they had, the Ferrari would have fallen out of second place and Ford would have swept the podium."

Congrats to Ford. While a truck builder was judging a Ford truck bed for not holding up to a task no truck user would employ, Ford took a truck engine, a V6, put it in a car and spanked that same truck makers sports car with a big V8 by over 5 laps in France. :headspin:[/size] [/size]

Yes, Ford engineers spent the last couple of years innovating and developing a brand new vehicle that dominated LeMans.

GM engineers spent the same two years trying find the optimum height to drop cinder blocks into a truck bed.

• Like 2

Had race officials chosen to ignore their own penalty against Ferarri, Ford would have placed 1-2-3 instead of 1-3-4.

I saw the race standings at about 7AM LeMans time, and thought, 'geez, Ford could win their class 1-2-3, and almost certainly in that order on the track setting up a photo opportunity just like the '66 one.'

Ah well.

Yes, Ford engineers spent the last couple of years innovating and developing a brand new vehicle that dominated LeMans.

GM engineers spent the same two years trying find the optimum height to drop cinder blocks into a truck bed.

It is known as priorities which should be determined by upper management, in this case that is upside down management...

Guys...I just read this: Porsche wins 24 Hours of Le Mans as Toyota breaks down with two to go!!! I thought Ford won!

Oops...It was the overall winner. Ford was mentioned deep in the article as taking the podium in their class. Sorry.

My understanding is that Porshe and Toyota were competing in the Le Mans prototype class; Ford and Ferrari were competing in the production class. The vehicles are different and not comparable. We don't expect a 600 horsepower GT to compete with 900 horsepower Porshe Le Mans Prototype class LMP1.

• Like 1

It's like the formula for my bonus - it changes every year because it's reverse engineered to a certain degree. They want close racing and they don't want one team or vehicle to dominate. The only place the GT had the advantage over Ferrari was on the Mulsanne straight at top speed which you don't see at any other race track.

I'm ok with officials not enforcing a rule like that in the last couple of hours, or at any time if at least one side is working. But that should be clearly written into the rules and if it's enforced on one vehicle it should be enforced equally. Which Ford GT had the same problem and did it cause an extra pit stop or extended time on a scheduled pit stop?

My big question is why was the 82 so much faster than the other 488s? The GTs were very close to each other.

Update - both the class winner 68 Ford GT and 2nd place Ferrari got post race penalties but the finishing order was not changed.

The Ford got a 50 second penalty for speeding in a slow zone and 20 seconds for an incorrect speed sensor. But they did penalize the Ferrari for not pitting for the electronics malfunction as ordered. But get this - they were only penalized 20 seconds. How does that correspond to skipping a pitstop?

Great win for Ford despite the sour grapes from Ferrari and all the haters on the interwebs...because Ford. Even with the BOP and the penalties, the GT got the job done. Any owner of a production GT would still drive with pride.