2013 MKS EcoBoost Climate Control + Button issue

apun

I’m on my second MKT the first was a 2011 Lemon now a 2014 Lemon. I’m having the same issue with this one, the climate control just starts beeping like I’m pressing the button while the temperature and fan automatically go as high as possible. The headlights are always damp inside after rain and the taillight/turn signal on the drivers side is not functional and is $400 to replace as there are no bulbs you can change. One other issue is the power 3rd row seats have never worked correctly and now the cable has snapped in one of them. This will be my last Lincoln! My 2011 was a complete POS and after the warranty ran out the expenses continued. The panoramic roof stuck in the open position the air conditioner went out twice the collision system went bad ($3000. To repair) the blind spot monitor system went bad.....etc.etc.etc. This was an always garaged car and well taken care of with only 52k miles when I traded it and got $5300. for it (I bought a new Lexus and have not had a single issue) Lincoln was of little to no help. My Lincoln concierge tried to help but the big boss idiots always declined even though it was under warranty on many issues. I’m still unsure why I purchased another new MKT except I liked the comfort and AWD. Adios Lincoln/Ford.

Edited by gajeffo
Spellcheck

On 6/22/2018 at 2:46 PM, Johnmcrossley said:

Sorry to bring a post back from the dead but I figured someone might find this useful.

I have a 2013 MKS EcoBoost that I purchased used that recently began increasing the ac settings to heat/high. I tried to clean the captive buttons with glass cleaner to see if that was the issue but narrowed it down to a hardware problem. I called my Lincoln dealer and got a hold of somebody in the service department that told me this is a common issue. He also mentioned cars with no tint will develop this issue faster and that it would be ~$960 USD to replace the FCIM.

This part is easy to swap out. I did it in under an hour. The key, according to the service guy was to find the same part number (Ford loves to make multiple part numbers for the same item from year to year). I found a control panel off of a low mileage salvage car on eBay for $120. Mine came with the whole assembly and the ac vents on the center stack.

Install was simple - just take your time. Remove the small wood insert near the starter button and the trim piece around it. They clip in. Repeat this on the passenger side. Behind the trim peices you will see a 7MM bolt - remove that and carefully pull the control panel out and up. Disconnect the plug and swap in the new part. Reassemble and you're done.

Is there any way you can upload a quick video on YouTube on how to remove the trimming or even the full panel? If hate to break anything by doing it the wrong way. 

• 5 months later...

We're having the same issue with the volume button on a 2013 MK Hybrid.  I have the exact part number I need (DP5Z-19980-H), but cannot find one anywhere, and I refuse to pay over $1k from the dealer.

Has anyone attempted to swap out one of these slide controls alone?  I don't mind spending quite a bit of time disassembling if needed (have done that with many things).

Also, I just found this which seems to indicate that maybe a reprogram can fix this?? https://ford.oemdtc.com/1030/uncommanded-or-unintended-audio-system-volume-changes-andor-climate-control-blower-motor-speed-changes-2013-2014-lincoln-mkz

Edited by glocklt4

5 hours ago, glocklt4 said:

We're having the same issue with the volume button on a 2013 MK Hybrid.  I have the exact part number I need (DP5Z-19980-H), but cannot find one anywhere, and I refuse to pay over $1k from the dealer.

Has anyone attempted to swap out one of these slide controls alone?  I don't mind spending quite a bit of time disassembling if needed (have done that with many things).

Also, I just found this which seems to indicate that maybe a reprogram can fix this?? https://ford.oemdtc.com/1030/uncommanded-or-unintended-audio-system-volume-changes-andor-climate-control-blower-motor-speed-changes-2013-2014-lincoln-mkz

Awesome video!  Now I have to figure out how to find a replacement panel...   Or, I would consider either unplugging the Volume knob (since you can just adjust on the steering wheel), or maybe replace just the volume slide control itself if even possible.

I just got off the phone with a Ford dealer here that confirmed the TSB I mentioned and that it applies to our MKZ.  $75 to reprogram the FCIM, so we're going to give that a shot in a couple weeks when we can get it in to their radio guy.  Cheaper and a lot less work than replacing the entire panel, but wish that manufacturers were liable for things like this outside of warranty.  It's an obvious design flaw and a programming fix is extremely easy.  I'm sure that they literally changed a value like "TouchControlSensitivityLevel" from 1.0 to 0.7 or something and that's it.  Yet requires the entire module to be reflashed.  Fun...

Edited by glocklt4

• 3 weeks later...

I found an easy way to treat the symptom when it occurs.  It isn't a fix, but it is better than nothing.  I give it a short blast from a can of compressed air turned upside down.  This does a quick super cool of the button which stops the bad behavior every time.  Twice recently the phantom button started up again after about ten minutes but the quick chill stopped it.  It seems like a full "one Mississippi" count works the best.

Full write up with picture here. 

I'll see if I can post a short video next time it happens but doubt that a 10MB limit will allow that.

• 5 months later...

FCIM failed, car can fog up while driving down the road causing a loss of visability... Mine seems to have a mind of its own, sometimes it climbs to the Hi setting, sometimes it does not work at all...  this should be addressed and fixed by FoMoCo as this part should last the life of the car, and mine only has 65000 on it.   

• Like 1

I’m waiting for the part (dealer said about a month) but I’ve found that when mine starts to increase the temperature I can hit My Temp and it will stop, but the panel will stop responding for a while. Selecting My Temp in the Climate menu puts it back to my desired temp.

Still annoying but workable until the part comes in. 

• 9 months later...

I have a 2013 MKS that had the runaway drivers +\hot button on the ficm. I was able to pull the fcim, remove the circuit board from the control panel and then scratch out the circuit for the +/hot button from behind. I did this almost 2 months ago and have not had the issue since. I can still adjust the temperature through the steering wheel, not completely ideal but it saved me a lot of money. 

• 4 months later...

I had same issue here,  especially in summer, it happens almost every time when I start the car, I have to press the hand somewhere on the dashboard to make it not going up,   I called the customer service, seems there is no re-call on it yet, but I think because most of us did not bother to call them, it will be helpful to raise this concern to the customer service and they can record it and we may get recall on this issue. it should not be our customer to pay more than 1000 to fix this issue, it did have safety issue for us, because we need to use one hand to change the temperature all the time when we drive.

please pick up the phone and call them if you have same issue and they will know this is common defect on their parts and they have to fix it not the customer.

btw, my car is mks 2013 model.

Lincoln Concierge
Lincoln Concierge
(Canada)
Edited by franktsh

• 1 month later...

I just bought my 2013 MKS from a large dealer in Denver, CO.  They knew about the issue with the climate control and when I asked about any known problems (I told them I was flying down from Minnesota) they said nothing about the problems with the climate control.

The climate control would automatically climb to 85 degrees with high fan and then sometimes set the "My Temp" to the new 85.  Sometimes it would go to the LO position as well but would always climb back to the 85.  While it was malfunctioning, I could not use the 3 buttons on the FCIM panel. The (Left side or drivers side) +, - and My Temp.  I could use any of the other buttons on the panel and touch screen as well as the buttons on the steering wheel but as soon as I let up, the temp would climb again.

This is what I did to save myself $3000.00 in repairs at my local Ford dealership.

I went to Youtube and searched for climate control MKS and there are several videos showing how to remove the FCIM panel.  It took me about 2 hours to get it out and I have very little experience with removing dash parts.

Once I popped it out I flipped it over and took out the 6 screws on the back exposing the circuit board.  There are 2 ribbon cables attached to the circuit board.  One on the drivers side (Left) and one on the passengers side (Right).

The one on the Right controls the passenger side airbag (my guess as it does not light up when unplugged) along with most of the buttons on the panel so I left that one plugged in.  The one on the Left was the one I figured I was having problems with as it was un-responsive when the system was acting up so I unplugged it.  Put some tape on the ribbon cable and then put it back together.

I plugged the FCIM back into the car, started it and it has been running perfectly since.

There are 4 buttons on the FCIM that I cannot use now.  The drivers side +, -, My Temp and the power button for the climate control system.  This is not an issue as I can still control those same buttons on the touch screen.  All the other buttons seem to work as they should and the temp holds where I set it.

Things to note.

1. Do this at your own risk.  I am not sure if things like the airbags or other safety items will work as they should.  for me it is worth the risk as I don't have an extra $3000.00 to spend at the moment.

2. When I had the FCIM out and apart I noticed a hairline crack less than an 1/8th of an inch vertical right below the My Temp button on the Left side of the FCIM. This crack was right over 3 of the circuit lines and may have had something to do with the problem.  The buttons on this panel are responsive to touch and I think people were not touching in the right area and pressing too hard to get a response and cracked the panel at the place where it damaged the circuit.  This is just a guess on my part so when using the panel be sure not to push hard, just touching it in the right area should do.
3. I have been told that the touch screen is very sensitive to sunlight and/or heat.  I have not had the car long enough yet to verify this so if your problem is with the touch screen this solution will most likely not help

4. Prayer does help.  I was stuck and asked for guidance and my prayer was answered.  Digging this deep into an issue is not something I would normally do!

I hope this helps others out as much as it has helped me as Ford is doing nothing but charging a fortune to fix their bad design.

Edited by Mark Li
Grammatical errors and My Temp wording.

• 2 months later...

Have a 2014 Lincoln MKS, purchased it seven months ago. The car has only 20,000 miles on it and has this same FCIM issue with the air/heater going on by itself and immediately up to 85 degrees “Hi” heat…..

Car it at a Ford dealer and awaiting for a solution and repair from them, four days and counting…….

EJW