What does "leather-trimmed seats" really mean ?

Not to many years ago we had "leather seating surfaces". This meant only the center section of the seat bottom and the front center section of the seat back were actual leather. The side bolsters and back were a type of vinyl that matched very closely.

Now the sales brochures say "leather-trimmed". So EXACTLY what parts of the seat cover are actually leather ?

Not to many years ago we had "leather seating surfaces". This meant only the center section of the seat bottom and the front center section of the seat back were actual leather. The side bolsters and back were a type of vinyl that matched very closely.

Now the sales brochures say "leather-trimmed". So EXACTLY what parts of the seat cover are actually leather ?

Anything you can feel whilst sitting in the seat is actual leather. Seat top cushion, front is seat back and typically the headrest. The outside sides of the seats and the rear panels are a pleather material on all but the premium vehicles.

Weren't the auto makers announce they no long use genuine leather on the seats for the purpose of "save the animals" years ago ?

Not that I recall. The luxury marques make a big deal about the real leathers they're using (f'rinstance, Lincoln and their Bridge of Weir leather). Heck, I don't think the good folks at the King Ranch would let Ford put their name on a truck with seats trimmed in anything but real cowhide.

Edited by SoonerLS

Not that I recall. The luxury marques make a big deal about the real leathers they're using (f'rinstance, Lincoln and their Bridge of Weir leather). Heck, I don't think the good folks at the King Ranch would let Ford put their name on a truck with seats trimmed in anything but real cowhide.

Searching on the internet to refresh my memory, there are more to its story and quite interesting. A few years back, I remembered reading an article about bmw and Mercedes reducing the use of real leather. ( the article actually stated no longer use genuine leather.)

In response to the demand, bmw, Audi, Mercedes, etc, providing vehicles with all synthetic leather interior, seating and wall surfaces. There were an increase requests from the wealthy or celebrities customers to have no genuine leather for animal rights thinking.

Searching on the internet to refresh my memory, there are more to its story and quite interesting. A few years back, I remembered reading an article about bmw and Mercedes reducing the use of real leather. ( the article actually stated no longer use genuine leather.)

In response to the demand, bmw, Audi, Mercedes, etc, providing vehicles with all synthetic leather interior, seating and wall surfaces. There were an increase requests from the wealthy or celebrities customers to have no genuine leather for animal rights thinking.

You can spec vehicles on their website and see that's clearly not so. Granted, entry-level models might have MB Tex and mid-level models a lesser grade of hide.

King Ranch is a brand like Eddie Bauer?

I just assumed it was some lame cowboy name they made up to sell more trucks to Texans.

You can spec vehicles on their website and see that's clearly not so. Granted, entry-level models might have MB Tex and mid-level models a lesser grade of hide.

MB-tex is available on a wide range of models including the E-class which starts around $55K, not sure that is really an 'entry level' car. M-B fake leather can be durable and easy to clean, which many buyers like even though they may not care about having a 'vegan' car interior.

King Ranch is an actual Ranch in Texas. it's larger than Rhode Island...

In addition to its famed presence in South Texas, King Ranch also has operations in Florida. They're the largest producer of orange juice in the USA, and a leading producer of sugar cane and sod as well.

• Like 1

Motor Trend:

In addition to black clearcoat exterior paint, all Ford Centennial-edition vehicles include:

– Premium Verona-grain Imola leather seating surfaces in two-tone parchment.
– Ford 100th Anniversary deck lid and side badges.
– A commemorative key chain and watch.
– A copy of the limited edition, lavishly illustrated coffee table book, “The Ford Century.”

Edmunds.com

Changes for 2003 were minimal; the SEL versions attempted to up the luxury quotient with a unique, satin-finished instrument cluster, "Imola" leather seating surfaces and dark wood trim. A real wood- and leather-trimmed steering wheel option furthered this effort, and even base Taurus models now came with power windows and door locks.

• Like 1