Fusion Hybrid Sales Jump a 3rd in LA

The question is, will Ford support this early EV phase after the next phase in drive train and battery technology is rolled out? I've tried to stay informed and don't recall Fields yet embracing this technology. The division developing it may be making advances, but it's still up to the guy on top to push it forward.

The question is, will Ford support this early EV phase after the next phase in drive train and battery technology is rolled out? I've tried to stay informed and don't recall Fields yet embracing this technology. The division developing it may be making advances, but it's still up to the guy on top to push it forward.

They've already announced a sizable investment in electric cars by 2019. I forget the dollar figure but I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $9B. There's a dedicated platform coming too.

They've already announced a sizable investment in electric cars by 2019. I forget the dollar figure but I think it's somewhere in the neighborhood of $9B. There's a dedicated platform coming too.

I'm aware, but wondering how long Ford will support the current technology after 2019.

Overall these are relatively small numbers so the percentage jump doesn't really mean that much. I would not be surprised if many of these are going into fleet use or R&D at Silicon Valley companies like Google which recently established a partnership with Ford.

Ford is spending $4.5 Billion over the next 5 years on Electrification, a little less than what Ford is spending on Lincoln in a similar time frame. It's unclear however if much of the platform engineering costs are being baked into the next platforms so expenses are shared with other programs. Ford has to electrify allot of gas products with that budget which seems fairly modest from the outside, especially with an expected dedicated Model E product included with that budget along with an F-150.

Edited by BORG

Overall these are relatively small numbers so the percentage jump doesn't really mean that much. I would not be surprised if many of these are going into fleet use or R&D at Silicon Valley companies like Google which recently established a partnership with Ford.

Ford is spending $4.5 Billion over the next 5 years on Electrification, a little less than what Ford is spending on Lincoln in a similar time frame. It's unclear however if much of the platform engineering costs are being baked into the next platforms so expenses are shared with other programs. Ford has to electrify allot of gas products with that budget which seems fairly modest from the outside, especially with an expected dedicated Model E product included with that budget along with an F-150.

1) The included press release states these gains are retail sales.

2) LA is not Silicon Valley, if the fleet theory was true why not buy the vehicles locally?

3) I work in Mountain View and have yet to see a Ford with a Google decal slapped on it. Plenty of RXs and Priuises, as well as the weird completely autonomous jellybean car. That thing is an oddball that makes me think of Dr. Seuss.

4) Piggybacking on the eletricification, I have never seen so many Leafs, i3s, Tesla S/X (even spotted a 3 humming around), Fusion Energis, etc around. I didn't even know there was an electric Fiat 500 till I saw one charging in front of my office.

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain that Ford will be selling more Fusion hybrid and Energi than the gasoline version in LA soon. The value proposition to go hybrid (especially PHEV) is too compelling. The lease payment on hybrid Fusion is almost the same as gasoline version due to better residual and the Energi version is on average about $40 more per month more than the gasoline version. That's one tank of gas a month to breakeven.

To the Coasts, West and Midwest L.A. is the City in California. New Orleans is that place in the south where we go to conventions and to party. The rest of that area is just a bunch of people that hate anything not like them and just gets lumped into NO area.

• Like 1