How long does a clutch last?

fuzzymoomoo

Pedal totally seized as I was accelerating from a light. Fortunately I had enough momentum to coast into a gas station and off the road. Then to add insult to injury the pedal linkage broke too so I need a whole new pedal assembly too.

$2k in repairs unless the flywheel can be resurfaced and doesn't need replacing

• 1 month later...

Well....here's my answer, at least...on the 2013 SE with the DPS6 tranny......about 30,000 if your VERY lucky !!! Just had mine repaired 8-24-16 (new dual clutch pkg) or so they said. Ran like shit for 1 week and then while on the highway at 65mph with a tractor trailer right behind me.....the TCM quit and lost ALL power !! Damn near fatal situation that only was adverted by me pulling off the shoulder and almost slamming into detour signs. Dealer says that this is very common and they were so sorry that I almost got killed. Part will be covered under extended warranty but is on back-order....good news is that it MIGHT only take a month or two to get it. Yeah, I know it's an auto, but it sure doesn't drive like one.

Well....here's my answer, at least...on the 2013 SE with the DPS6 tranny......about 30,000 if your VERY lucky !!! Just had mine repaired 8-24-16 (new dual clutch pkg) or so they said. Ran like shit for 1 week and then while on the highway at 65mph with a tractor trailer right behind me.....the TCM quit and lost ALL power !! Damn near fatal situation that only was adverted by me pulling off the shoulder and almost slamming into detour signs. Dealer says that this is very common and they were so sorry that I almost got killed. Part will be covered under extended warranty but is on back-order....good news is that it MIGHT only take a month or two to get it. Yeah, I know it's an auto, but it sure doesn't drive like one.

Wow, that's brutal. More evidence that that transmission was nowhere near ready for the public.

That transmission will never ever feel like an automatic to begin with, it's a manual transmission that just happens to shift automatically, there will always be a chance for it to roll on you. Ford (and likewise every dealer out there) did a piss-poor job of educating the public on that fact.

Btw, I was referring to a manual transmission clutch initially ;)

My friend at work lost his TCM 3 weeks ago. His was fixed in 2 days. I don't think it will take a month.

Wow, that's brutal. More evidence that that transmission was nowhere near ready for the public.

That transmission will never ever feel like an automatic to begin with, it's a manual transmission that just happens to shift automatically, there will always be a chance for it to roll on you. Ford (and likewise every dealer out there) did a piss-poor job of educating the public on that fact.

Btw, I was referring to a manual transmission clutch initially ;)

Almost 187k on mine. Should have over 190k on it when my 2016 arrives.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...