'17 Titanium - First 100 miles.....

PajamaGuy

Actually, it's 127 miles, but who's counting. It's my 3rd escape - 2013 SEL, 2014 Titanium, and now the 2017. I love tech - especially when it works. This '17 has all available tech, and it's my 1st experience with ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), LKS (Lane Keeping System), and ASS (Automatic Stop-Start).

Since I can only find one, I’ll start with a “Con”. I cannot find a way to display the NAV “next turn” prompt within the center, above-the-wheel display screen. (the manual is incorrect) I think the added graphics for the ACC and LKS precludes it. I do miss it.

Everything else are “Pro’s”. The ’17’s cabin is noticeably more quiet. It feels more solid. If it’s possible, it drives easier, yet feels more stable. :)

ACC-Adaptive Cruise is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I’ve not previously spent the money because I didn’t think I’d really use it. Now I won’t go without it. When the idiot in front slams on the brakes, or his brother cuts in front of you, the system reacts faster than I can – and yes, it CAN apply the brakes. You basically set the distance that you want to keep from the vehicle in front of you and the system maintains it. If it’s clear, the Cruise Control maintains your set speed – if not, it adapts your vehicle’s speed to maintain the set distance. If you or the vehicle in front move so that there’s nothing within your “space”, it returns to your set speed.

LKS – Lane Keeping System – First and foremost, pay attention to the plethora of warnings and disclaimers that this system is only an aid – YOU still have to do the driving!

There is a camera in the rear view mirror and if it can “see” lane markings, the system helps you “stay in your lane”. It can Alert, Aid, or both. ALERT vibrates the steering wheel if you drift toward the lane border. AID turns the steering wheel to get you back inside the lane. You can force the steering to leave your lane, but you’ll feel it argue with you. If you use your turn signal, the system suspends itself and allows you to change lanes smoothly.

The On/Off button is on the end of the turn-signal stalk, and it only engages when you’re above 40 MPH. If you take your hands off the wheel – just to test the system – the smartass thing knows it and posts a message for you to “Put your hands back on the wheel!” – and if you don’t do it, it beeps at you.

ASS – Automatic Stop-Start. I can tell if the engine is running or stopped, but it is so responsive, I have yet to disable it. I’m not going to list all the conditions needed for the system to work – there’s quite a few. If you do a lot of city driving, Ford says the system will save 4%-6% fuel. Simply, when you come to a stop, the engine shuts off – when you take your foot off of the brake pedal, it re-starts – instantly. Just try it before you complain.

There’s a setting within the system settings to turn it off, and there’s a button on the dashboard to turn it off – the dash button resets to ON every time you start the vehicle. An undocumented feature is that if you shift into “S” (Sport) mode, the button switches to OFF and you have to press the button to enable the system.

Ford did listen to consumers. The greatly reduced cabin noise, heated steering wheel and heated seats when remote starting, power passenger seat, windshield wiper de-icing, paddle shifters, Sync 3, Android Auto, Easy Entry/Exit seat, and FordPass remote control and examples.

Edited by PajamaGuy
  • Like 4

We have about 400 miles on our '17 Titanium now. 160 miles were from it being traded from a dealer out of state. No lane keeping or ACC since she wanted the Sport package. The wife wasn't too sure if she was going to like the start/stop system, but so far she's left it enabled.

What engine did you get? We got the 1.5L and is really smooth. Taking a longish trip next week and am curious what our mileage will be.

Edited by Pioneer

The one big complaint we had with our 14 Titanium was the passenger seat. It was manual (they switched to power for 2015) and it felt like you were sitting on a phone book - about 3 inches too high. My wife said she felt like she was on display. Driver's seat seemed to be ok. First time we've ever had a seat issue in a Ford vehicle. Is that any better in the new ones?

I love all the tech in Ford vehicles, the only thing I dislike is active Lane Keeping which I find to be more dangerous than helpful, I try to keep it on just to keep testing it but it's always a nuisance. I find it gets really confused on highway bends and starts acting up. I feel like the vehicle is loosing control and bumping me around the lane and I have to grip the wheel firmly to override it's twitchy over-compensation. Lane Departure warning is probably adequate, just keep the assist feature off...especially since it reacts too late anyway to be a safety feature. And if you have it on, you really need to have a tight grip on the steering wheel so you can override it. This is definitely a form of autonomous tech that Ford should probably sit on a bit longer, I wouldn't even say it's nice to have but it does sell cars and makes for a fun demo.

Edited by BORG

The LKS has been around since the MY13 Fusion/MKZ, so it's not really a "new" technology. Keep in mind that you can change not only the type, but also the sensitivity. At the end of the day though, I agree - just keep it off. Adaptive cruise is the best thing in the world though!

The LKS has been around since the MY13 Fusion/MKZ, so it's not really a "new" technology. Keep in mind that you can change not only the type, but also the sensitivity. At the end of the day though, I agree - just keep it off. Adaptive cruise is the best thing in the world though!

Adaptive Cruise and active braking is the most important active safety feature ever developed, I'm a huge fan.

• 1 month later...

Ford has been gradually removing redundancies from Sync, such as climate controls since there is a separate head-unit and display for those on the center console. They've also pulled climate controls from the instrument panel and steering wheel. This isn't such a bad thing because it also makes it easier for headhunits to surrender their display to CarPlay and Android Auto.

Edited by BORG

Ford has been gradually removing redundancies from Sync, such as climate controls since there is a separate head-unit and display for those on the center console. They've also pulled climate controls from the instrument panel and steering wheel. This isn't such a bad thing because it also makes it easier for headhunits to surrender their display to CarPlay and Android Auto.

Borg, thank you for helping me understand the issue. I have another question. My 2017 Escape is equipped with Forward Collision warning and brake support. Is this function same as Automatic Emergency braking?

Borg, thank you for helping me understand the issue. I have another question. My 2017 Escape is equipped with Forward Collision warning and brake support. Is this function same as Automatic Emergency braking?

This is not the same. The Escape will sound an alarm and flash a red light on the cowl of the dashboard (also described as a "HUD"). It only pre-charges the brakes, but it does not actively brake. Active emergency braking is more common among other manufacturers but it made its debut at Ford on the 2016 MKX and is now on Fusion, MKZ, and Continental. It will soon be a requirement among all cars so I assume we'll see most Fords equipped with the feature by 2019. I think Ford is having a hard time pulling this system out of the ACC to make it more widely available/standard, usually ACC is a huge markup on the option list.

Edited by BORG

• 4 months later...

Got a new '17 Escape about a month ago. Titanium, with the LKS and AS/S, but not the ACC. Also with Navigation, Panoramic Moon Roof, Trailer Towing, though I didn't need it, but it was on the car. Like the new look and I agree with one of the posters saying it seems quieter and more solid and the added hp in the 2.0 is nice. The Escape is just downright quick. I had a '15 Escape that my wife and I both loved, but this one is even better. When I got the '15, my favorite feature was all the ways you could open the tailgate. On the '17, it has to be the heated steering wheel. What a nice thing to have on a cold day. Love the new layout inside. Gauges and big screen are virtually the same, but the new steering wheel is better than before, as is the console and climate controls. Glad they did away with the little dials on the console for the heated seats and moved them to right in the mix with the climate controls and they're buttons now. For some reason the seats seem different. They seem to be bigger than on the '15, offering more support under your legs and they're very comfortable. Mine is with the Canyon Ridge color and the black interior. Also has a different sound. All the different chimes for seat belts, cros traffic alert, etc are different, much softer sounding and more soothing. Ford has another winner. The Escape seems to be getting better and better.

How do you know if you have the Forward Collision warning and brake support? Is it standard or an option. I didn't know it was available on the Escape.