Would you buy a car with no AM radio? (Tesla Model X)

sullynd

On another forum that I am on it was pointed out that the Tesla Model X does not have AM radio. It's not readily obvious that it doesn't, and I imagine more than a few owners have been surprised.

Would you miss AM radio?

I listen to AM daily, and the lack of AM would weigh heavily in my car buying decision.

(Though for the Model X in paticular the fact it looks like a An over inflated balloon would weigh more heavily)

Also, the FCC is currently in the middle of an AM revitalization plan and is allowing license holders to up their off-peak wattage.

For example, we have almost completed the variance that will allow our AM station to boost our overnight power to 43,000 watts. For an AM signal in a largely flat listening area, that is very significant.

Now, I'm not saying that hoards of people will flock back to AM, but I think there is a kitsch value to the format, with the warm-leaning tone and crackling upper pops, that could be embraced by the same crowd that brought the vinyl music business back to life. We have a few great AM stations here that are popular with crowds that would surprise you.

I wish I could order a vehicle without a CD player. My '09 has had a CD in it once, only to confirm it worked. My wife's '17 Escape has it on the top of the center stack. Looks out of place.

As for the AM radio, I only use it for Red Wings or Michigan football games. And those are starting to be simulcasted on SiriusXM more often then not.

If there's baseball on? No way... Oddly enough, they both *love* to watch and listen to games (they're 6 and 4 now). For London, it's almost to a fault...

My son (just turned 11) has become obsessed with watching baseball after his first summer of playing little league. Listening to it though is not in the cards (no pun intended). It lets his ADHD mind wander too much. Of course, nothing can stop him and his 7 year old sister from fighting...

• Like 1

I haven't used AM radio at all in either of my current cars or the car that came before them - purchased new in 2001. The last radio station I listened to on AM was the local "traffic and weather every 10 minutes" all news station. They were the last holdouts to moving to FM - they didn't have a usable FM signal until 1998. To me, AM is just noise when I accidentally push the wrong button. In my lifetime, I've never had more than 2 AM presets, and I haven't bothered setting any in over 15 years. I wouldn't miss it at all.

To add to those mentioning satellite radio, that is only optional on Tesla Model S and Model X as part of a $1,500 (IIRC) "fidelity sound" option that also includes a better sound system. Without that option, they don't have satellite radio either, which I think is ridiculous at that price point to not have it standard separate from the speakers. The salespeople will tell you you can just stream it through your phone if you don't check that option box.

To add to those mentioning satellite radio, that is only optional on Tesla Model S and Model X as part of a $1,500 (IIRC) "fidelity sound" option that also includes a better sound system. Without that option, they don't have satellite radio either, which I think is ridiculous at that price point to not have it standard separate from the speakers. The salespeople will tell you you can just stream it through your phone if you don't check that option box.

Wow, that's BS. At that price, nobody should be telling me to stream anything from my phone that isn't a podcast.

Even in that state up north, you can't get *ichigan games on FM? Dang... we've had tOSU on FM (our station, actually) since around 2008.

I live right on the Ohio border, on the good side of course. The FM stations are based north of me and I don't get good reception.

When Frank Beckman was calling the games I would usually turn the sound down on the TV and listen to AM instead. The guy that replaced him isn't as good. I don't really like listening to him. That's why I like Surius. I'd rather listen to the other teams hometown radio announcers if I can't watch the game.

Have not listened to terrestrial radio once in my Focus (nor put a disc in ever for that matter). Sirius or Bluetooth streaming is all I do.

To further that I have not used voice commands with SYNC (gen 1) in at least a year. It may get the command correct once out of every ten times. Really bad. I use the steering wheel controls for going through Sat channels and "Hey Siri" for controlling music when streaming via Bluetooth.

I live right on the Ohio border, on the good side of course. The FM stations are based north of me and I don't get good reception.

When Frank Beckman was calling the games I would usually turn the sound down on the TV and listen to AM instead. The guy that replaced him isn't as good. I don't really like listening to him. That's why I like Surius. I'd rather listen to the other teams hometown radio announcers if I can't watch the game.

Agreed. Brando is much better as a color guy. He does a good job with Dan Miller on the lions games. Did a good job as the color man for Frank too.

Have not listened to terrestrial radio once in my Focus (nor put a disc in ever for that matter). Sirius or Bluetooth streaming is all I do.

To further that I have not used voice commands with SYNC (gen 1) in at least a year. It may get the command correct once out of every ten times. Really bad. I use the steering wheel controls for going through Sat channels and "Hey Siri" for controlling music when streaming via Bluetooth.

"Play album Two Thousand One Hundred Twelve"

Yeah, that's a thing with my car....

Team loyalty aside, OSU's Paul Keels (technically he's employed by us, with the university's blessing) is among the best callers in college football. I'm sure you get him on whichever Toledo station is in tOSU radio network. Edited by PREMiERdrum