2018 Ford Expedition Spied

So here's the latest prototype. As you can see, it's clearly not an F-150 front with a cover over the rear seating. The hard points of the Navigator concept are evident in this vehicle, which isn't surprising with their volume.

It's also nice to see it retain the lift glass. All other Ford crossovers/SUVs got rid of that feature.

cdauto-fordexpedition-9616-1-1.jpg
cdauto-fordexpedition-9616-8-1.jpg

Several more pictures and the article at this link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/06/2018-ford-expedition-spied-stylish-navigator/

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

So here's the latest prototype. As you can see, it's clearly not an F-150 front with a cover over the rear seating. The hard points of the Navigator concept are evident in this vehicle, which isn't surprising with their volume.

It's also nice to see it retain the lift glass. All other Ford crossovers/SUVs got rid of that feature.

cdauto-fordexpedition-9616-1-1.jpg

Several more pictures and the article at this link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/06/2018-ford-expedition-spied-stylish-navigator/

You can definitely see a lot of the Navigator concept in this.

lincoln-navigator-concept-photos-and-inf

You can definitely see a lot of the Navigator concept in this.

lincoln-navigator-concept-photos-and-inf

No doubt about it. As I said above, I just think it's hard to justify completely unique bodies at the expected volume. The GM SUVs all do the same, as well as Infiniti and Nissan with the new Armada/QX80, and the Land Cruiser/LX570.

They'll get unique front and rear clips, but from the side profile, I do think they will make the c-pillar body color on the Expedition to fit with Ford SUV styling of the last 20 years, and as an easy way to give some more differentiation from the Navigator (which like the concept will go with a black greenhouse and swept floating roof "supported" by the body color a-pillar)., while both still maintaining the same roofline.

Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

This confirms that Navigator and Expedition continue to share a body design which shouldn't be unexpected. Not really much to get excited about, whatever is under the camo looks fairly basic with traditional taillights and headlamps, no LEDs. But the design is a big improvement over the blocky F-150.

Edited by BORG

This confirms that Navigator and Expedition continue to share a body design which shouldn't be unexpected. Not really much to get excited about, whatever is under the camo looks fairly basic with traditional taillights and headlamps, no LEDs. But the design is a big improvement over the blocky F-150.

I'm sure an Expedition Platinum (if not some trims below that) would get LED headlights and taillights available.

I'm also glad they didn't slap a cover over the F-150's bed and call it a day styling-wise.

Edited by rmc523

That camo x-ray vision that we have all come to know and love.... :rockon:

• Like 6

It is funny how much it looks like the GM Utes, especially the front part of the cab.

The GM Utes are the best selling, so maybe copying some attributes wouldn't be the worst thing. If Ford wants to sell these big SUV's to the minivan hating Mom, they need to be more "pretty" and less F150. From what I can see on this Expy prototype and the the Navigator concept, Ford seems to get it.

• Like 1

I think it's clear this one will be much more appealing to families and should deliver a solid sales boost. Sometimes it takes Ford a REALLY long time to get something right but they seem to get there eventually.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I think it's clear this one will be much more appealing to families and should deliver a solid sales boost. Sometimes it takes Ford a REALLY long time to get something right but they seem to get there eventually.

The thing is, the Expedition was 'right' with it's first generation. I think they lost their way going for more capability instead of keeping it as simply a big (non) minivan that's able to tow big trailers. Hopefully they will get back to that 'pretty' version with the next iteration and bring in tons of buyers.

• Like 2

The thing is, the Expedition was 'right' with it's first generation. I think they lost their way going for more capability instead of keeping it as simply a big (non) minivan that's able to tow big trailers. Hopefully they will get back to that 'pretty' version with the next iteration and bring in tons of buyers.

Eh, I wouldn't say the second gen model strayed too far from the first styling wise. I certainly found it better looking than the GM SUVs at the time, yet they outsold it by quite a margin (and have since then)

Eh, I wouldn't say the second gen model strayed too far from the first styling wise. I certainly found it better looking than the GM SUVs at the time, yet they outsold it by quite a margin (and have since then)

I don't remember, it was before I started really paying attention to the industry, but wasn't there a price advantage for the GM trio?

I agree that the first gen was done well and the second gen was pretty good as well, except for the interior. The 03-06 Expy's had a horrible dash design, especially when compared to the Tahoe's at the time. We almost bought an 05, but we decided to keep our 01 Expy until the next gen came out (which turned out to be the 07) because my wife hated the dash on the 05. Now she's getting a 16 Explorer because the 16 Expy didn't look different enough from her 07 Expy.

I agree that the first gen was done well and the second gen was pretty good as well, except for the interior. The 03-06 Expy's had a horrible dash design, especially when compared to the Tahoe's at the time. We almost bought an 05, but we decided to keep our 01 Expy until the next gen came out (which turned out to be the 07) because my wife hated the dash on the 05. Now she's getting a 16 Explorer because the 16 Expy didn't look different enough from her 07 Expy.

I don't think this

2004-chevrolet-suburban-interior-wallpap

Looks better than this

40809198.jpg

Fuzzy, you may be right about pricing, because the Expy has been more advanced since then with things like IRS, fold flat third row, etc

Edited by rmc523