USA Today: Ford Bronco SUV making slow-speed chase back into lineup

Someone down in Mexico for the Baja 1000 spotted this. I assume it is a one-off custom, but it looks nicely done.

That looks a lot like that rendering from a few years ago. I like it better now than I did then.

yeah, the one I did presumably (the red-orange one). It's obviously an Expedition with the Raptor's front and taillights put on, but it looks pretty good.

There is alot more going on than slapping a Raptor front clip onto an Expedition. Look at the way the rear door is flared out to accommodate the flared rear fender. You can see how the rear door handle looks angled out. It looks like a pretty significant build they did. Nicely done.

Edited by tbone

• ​Everest - 1-2 kid Family, outdoor, retiree that travels, towing (7000lbs towing)

• Bronco 4 Door - 1-2 kid Family Sport, off road (4,000lbs towing)

​Bronco will be a world car and is being developed in RHD, it will be sold in world markets with the Everest. I could see the 2 Bronco's and Everest using wheel bases from the Ranger and just adapted to top hats. The 4 vehicles could be as must as 80%+ common parts.

care to compare-&-contrast?

cuz imho the Bronco-4 & nextgen Everest will be (mostly) the same thing

• Like 1

Exactly and as nice as the current top hat looks, I think that a more rugged looking top hat

on the Everest would attract a lot more buyers both in North America and globally.

• Like 1

What would be the point of making the Bronco 4 and Everest similar in design? There should be a major contrast between them as far as aesthetics are concerned.

^ cuz I'm "imagining" they're the same vehicle +/- local details

Exactly and as nice as the current top hat looks, I think that a more rugged looking top hat

on the Everest would attract a lot more buyers both in North America and globally.

lots of chops-&-stuff at the other site biggrin.gif

What would be the point of making the Bronco 4 and Everest similar in design? There should be a major contrast between them as far as aesthetics are concerned.

I think he's saying they'd be the same vehicle around the globe, but called Bronco here and Everest elsewhere.

• Like 1

Just curious but if it is true that these vehicles are being designed Down Under, is there any chance that somebody over there might at some point see a camo'd prototype or test mule or get a spy shot of one of these new models? Has that already happened and we just don't know about it? Do they have the ability to actually build those types of vehicles or would their designs be built and tested elsewhere? My assumption is that Ford uses similar processes at all of their engineering centers. Do they?

Just curious but if it is true that these vehicles are being designed Down Under, is there any chance that somebody over there might at some point see a camo'd prototype or test mule or get a spy shot of one of these new models? Has that already happened and we just don't know about it? Do they have the ability to actually build those types of vehicles or would their designs be built and tested elsewhere? My assumption is that Ford uses similar processes at all of their engineering centers. Do they?

Its probably a bit too early in the process for prototypes to be driving around. You are correct in that the engineering centers do use similar processes but they all have differences still too.

Correct.

It's a bit early for that, Ford AP is about two and a half years into the next gen Ranger development,

there's probably early HVAC and power train mules hiding in plain sight with new bodies probably

a good 12 months off yet...

Like Ford's other platforms that were adopted for North America, I expect the T6 platform will be

heavily revised but still keep a lot of its bones..if the Bronco is a "top hat" addition to the Everest,

the North American centers are probably well under way with developing in parallel with NG Ranger.

Edited by jpd80

I'm not seeing the Bronco as a Wrangler wanna-be. That's the Troller. I see it close to an FJ

The original FJ is closer to the Wrangler then the retro looking one they came out with about 10 years ago. The last FJ gave up alot of usefulness inside because of its retro styling and suspesion...plus it didn't help that it launched in the middle of rising gas prices and the Great Recession.

I see the upcoming Bronco as a more refined 4 door Wrangler....its not going sell in yuge numbers, but I don't think 100K or so a year is out of the question

I'm not seeing the Bronco as a Wrangler wanna-be. That's the Troller. I see it close to an FJ

If Toyota couldn't sell a two door hardtop 4x4, what makes you think Ford can? Like it or not, Toyota does have four-wheel-drive credibility around the world, so clearly the FJ's form factor wasn't interesting to enough people to justify is existence.

Ford does have credibility in the segment, although it's been quite a while, and it wouldn't be just a wannabe Jeep. The Bronco back in the day did have a hard top and was easily equipped with a soft top.

I think a removable soft top is the price for a successful Bronco.

Is it possible to see 3 utes (sorry Joe Pesci) being the Troller, Bronco and Everest on the same frame? Toyota, Audi, BMW and Mercedes are doing a good job of milking a platform with multiple bodies.

Yes and that was the other option instead of troller. However, an insider said there would be 3 vehicles and one was not a Ford or Lincoln. So I guess it depends on whether you believe that or not.

• Like 1

If Toyota couldn't sell a two door hardtop 4x4, what makes you think Ford can? Like it or not, Toyota does have four-wheel-drive credibility around the world, so clearly the FJ's form factor wasn't interesting to enough people to justify is existence.

Ford does have credibility in the segment, although it's been quite a while, and it wouldn't be just a wannabe Jeep. The Bronco back in the day did have a hard top and was easily equipped with a soft top.

I think a removable soft top is the price for a successful Bronco.

A soft top would not somehow make the 2 door Bronco an instant success.

The FJ failed because it was ugly nor practical. 2 (or suicide door) models just aren't practical options for the vast majority of buyers. Yes, I do agree a 2-door could be successful in the first few years as buyers return to buy one. But a 4-door is absolutely necessary for viability of the model, especially long term. And I'm advocating offering both the 2 and 4-door models. I'm not saying it should be 4-door only.

• Like 2

Yes and that was the other option instead of troller. However, an insider said there would be 3 vehicles and one was not a Ford or Lincoln. So I guess it depends on whether you believe that or not.

I've heard it was Troller, but that talk has quieted down in the last few months. Not sure if it's just there's nothing new or if plans have changed.