2019 Explorer Spied! D6!!

They didn't change a thing! How ridiculous!!@!!!1111!!!!

Really though, there's not much to see in these.....but at least there's pictures (unlike the Borg "Navigator spied" thread).

But presumably, yes, it would be CD6 we've talked about if it is indeed a mule for it.

• Like 1

I don't know about you, but this excites me. I really hope they make an excellent platform that really competes on a global level and can actually statisfy Lincoln duty..... I can smell an LS successor, with an ecoboost V8, that I'm sure will come to the Mustang. Could be some good stuff if they can budget it all correctly and maintain and surpass sales goals! I know there is a market for RWD luxury sedans, now only on a pure performance level, I don't track my luxury cars. BUT, if you think for one second I don't like to floor it and throw myself back into my big comfortable luxury seat, and see the rpm's shoot up to 4krpm's+ and hear the engine roar, you're nuts! I'm not saying anything is right or wrong. I think the current Lincoln has a place, but the old Lincoln also needs to return, with a portfolio that hits every market space. We will return to global dominance once again, everyone will recognize Lincoln as Premium, as well as Cadillac. American Luxury is the best luxury. The Germans and Japanese just got lucky because our economy crashed.

• Like 1

Here's the thing about a new platform, you can't just bolt it onto something. This is a pristine 2010 Ford Explorer complete with the same exhaust system. Unless CD6 is just a minor revision of D4, this tester probably isn't what they say it is. What I would expect to see in a CD6 mule is some sort of CD4 derived mule hacked together from Edges, Galaxy, etc.

My guess is that this is just an old Explorer prototype, there certainly is no reason to cover it now.

I don't know about you, but this excites me. I really hope they make an excellent platform that really competes on a global level and can actually statisfy Lincoln duty..... I can smell an LS successor, with an ecoboost V8, that I'm sure will come to the Mustang. Could be some good stuff if they can budget it all correctly and maintain and surpass sales goals! I know there is a market for RWD luxury sedans, now only on a pure performance level, I don't track my luxury cars. BUT, if you think for one second I don't like to floor it and throw myself back into my big comfortable luxury seat, and see the rpm's shoot up to 4krpm's+ and hear the engine roar, you're nuts! I'm not saying anything is right or wrong. I think the current Lincoln has a place, but the old Lincoln also needs to return, with a portfolio that hits every market space. We will return to global dominance once again, everyone will recognize Lincoln as Premium, as well as Cadillac. American Luxury is the best luxury. The Germans and Japanese just got lucky because our economy crashed.

what-are-you-talking-about.jpg

• Like 1

This is very early for a 2019 Mule, could it be a MY2018 Explorer updated with 9-speed auto?

On D6 / CD6

As I've said before, perhaps people are expecting way more with CD6 than Ford is actually planning to do...

Perhaps a different / better grouping of platforms that better suits various global regions?

Subcompact / Compact platform:

- from Ka / Fiesta / Focus / C-Max to Ecosport / Escape / MKC

Mid/Large platform:

- from Fusion / Mondeo / MKZ / Taurus/Continental to Edge / MKX / S-Max / Galaxy / / Explorer / Aviator.

Regrouping those vehicles under those tow platform envelopes would do a lot for global profitability,

it makes a lot of sense and I wouldn't be surprised if that s exactly what Ford is planning to do.

The bulk of all car and Utility products are then covered by just two platforms.

A North-South engine configuration paralleled with an East-West configuration would require

the whole front end crash protection zones to be re-configured across every different vehicles.

That for the most part would be unnecessary duplication, you choose one or the other.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

As I've said before, perhaps people are expecting way more with CD6 than Ford is actually planning to do...

Perhaps a different / better grouping of platforms that better suits various global regions?

Subcompact / Compact platform that covers from Ka -Fiesta-Focus to Ecosport - Escape-MKC

Mid/Large platform to cover from Fusion/Mondeo/MKX- Taurus/Continental to Edge/MKC - Explorer/Aviator.

I cannot verify how accurate it is, but I read elsewhere that there will be an interim CD4-based Explorer is coming before the CD6 model arrives in 2023.

They also said a RWD/AWD MKZ arrives on CD6 for 2018/19, but I don't know why they'd go through all that effort for a CD4 Explorer if CD6 is already coming out....unless it was already well under development before CD6 was started.

Edited by rmc523

I cannot verify how accurate it is, but I read elsewhere that there will be an interim CD4-based Explorer is coming before the CD6 model arrives in 2023.

More evidence of consolidation... I would believe this is a CD4 based Explorer rather than CD6...

They also said a RWD/AWD MKZ arrives on CD6 for 2018/19, but I don't know why they'd go through all that effort for a CD4 Explorer if CD6 is already coming out....unless it was already well under development before CD6 was started.

the answers is that they wouldn't switch to RWD/AWD especially knowing Ford history with this

and that car sales are actually contracting as platforms become more dependent on the Utilites..

It's more evidence that Ford will evolve and merge its current D3s onto a next gen evolution of CD4.

Some want / hope / dream that Ford is somehow going to switch back to RWD/AWD Utes and cars,

the best we can hope for is a North/South FWD/AWD configuration that adds back more RWD attributes.

Edited by jpd80

More evidence of consolidation.

the answers is that they wouldn't switch to RWD/AWD especially knowing Ford history with this

and that car sales are actually contracting as platforms becomemore dependent on the Utilites..

It's more evidence that Ford will evolve and merge its current D3s onto a next gen evolution of CD4.

Well the poster also said Fusion would remain FWD/AWD with a more RWD-esque stance (think Volvo S90). Edited by rmc523
  • Like 1

This is not a CD4 mule, because it's on a completely unrelated platform called D4. If Explorer is going CD4, you would see a bashed together Ford Edge mule. No mule should look anything like the current Explorer, that platform and it's hardware is completely irrelevant now.

How is it logical that a D4 explorer would have so much camo?

How logical is it that an obsolete 2011 D4 Explorer has camo on it in the first place?

Even the under carriage looks old and weathered.

I'm telling you this is an old prototype and has nothing to do with a new car, don't believe everything you read. You will see these cars everywhere around Dearborn.

Edited by BORG

More likely to be a 9-speed auto test mule...

Maybe--but I doubt they'd need to run a test with a camoed fascia for a transmission. I'd think they could just plug that into any existing vehicles and if they needed to rework the lower fascia to account for a different trans cooler (if so equipped--which most models wouldn't have), they'd just hack something together.

Gah, it's a 2011 Explorer, the camo irrelevant.

Hey, Joe, my car broke down. We got anything I can drive home?

Yeah, take that '11 Explorer out there.

Which one?

The one with all the camo?

You mean we still have those around?

Yeah, we keep them around just so we can throw people for a loop now and then. It'll get people talking. Don't worry, it will be fun, and we can watch the internet go wild!

Um, OK.

• Like 2