New Ford 7.0 L....?

10 hours ago, Stray Kat said:

The Coyote is one of the most popular swap engines out there now. They’re available and they make good power and there’s control packs available for them. 

The Coyote isn't the 5.0 Cammer. Neither it nor the reportedly-planned SVT RWD conversion kit ever came to market.

20 hours ago, SoonerLS said:

The Coyote isn't the 5.0 Cammer. Neither it nor the reportedly-planned SVT RWD conversion kit ever came to market.

While the Cammer Focus kit never happened, repowering older Ford vehicles with the Coyote v8 and 6-speed auto
is now possible thanks to provision of ECUs and wiring harnesses for both . There's also adaptor kits for the 6R80
behind older Windsors.

Looping back around, we're a long way from ever seeing a 7.3 V8 in any new Ford vehicles other than HD and MD Trucks but, it depends what approach Ford takes to the engine regarding crate versions for repowering older Fords.

Edited by jpd80

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

While the Cammer Focus kit never happened, repowering older Ford vehicles with the Coyote v8 and 6-speed auto
is now possible thanks to provision of ECUs and wiring harnesses for both . There's also adaptor kits for the 6R80
behind older Windsors.

That's true, but has no bearing on what I posted.

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Looping back around, we're a long way from ever seeing a 7.3 V8 in any new Ford vehicles other than HD and MD Trucks but, it depends what approach Ford takes to the engine regarding crate versions for repowering older Fords.

If Ford decides to make crate engines available, hot rodders will put them in hot rods; that was never in question, because that's what hot rodders do. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one hot rod with the mill out of an old semi powering it, so it wouldn't shock me to see a few with 7.3 powerplants, regardless of what Ford does.

If Ford doesn't, I don't see them ever getting beyond the one-off stage simply because there won't be enough engines out there to build any support. 

9 hours ago, 30 OTT 6 said:

The CAMMER Focus probably had more to do with FRPP crate engine sales than V8 Focus sales.

IIRC, it all happened around the time SVT imploded after John Coletti retired, and that (the SVT implosion) probably had more to do with the Cammer and RWD conversion kit dying before coming to market. It was also about the same time the rotating oscillator really started spinning up throughout the auto industry.

On 8/18/2019 at 8:01 AM, SoonerLS said:

That's true, but has no bearing on what I posted.

If Ford decides to make crate engines available, hot rodders will put them in hot rods; that was never in question, because that's what hot rodders do. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one hot rod with the mill out of an old semi powering it, so it wouldn't shock me to see a few with 7.3 powerplants, regardless of what Ford does.

If Ford doesn't, I don't see them ever getting beyond the one-off stage simply because there won't be enough engines out there to build any support. 

Got it, we're actually on the same page with this, I just didn't express that clearly enough..:)

• Like 1

To 7 Mary 3

mary

interesting picture. When it first came out, l thought it was a 7 liter version of the 6.2 SOC ford V8.

I think that is actually wrong! It may have been a phase I prototype of the now new 7.3 V8. Narrow valve covers and in some discussion the bore was at 4.220” same as the 7.3

Also, if you take a picture with a wide angle lens, say a 25 or 30 mm, things seem to extend farther than they should.  (Valve covers)

edselford

Already being shoehorned into a Foxbody. Fit's pretty easily. Plenty of room for the exhaust manifolds.

Would need a small cowl hood to clear the front mount throttle body though.

Hopefully Ford sell this as a crate motor with control pack.

48581515431_f678431393_z.jpg

48581515426_30c1e83771_z.jpg

1 hour ago, edselford said:

To 7 Mary 3

mary

interesting picture. When it first came out, l thought it was a 7 liter version of the 6.2 SOC ford V8.

I think that is actually wrong! It may have been a phase I prototype of the now new 7.3 V8. Narrow valve covers and in some discussion the bore was at 4.220” same as the 7.3

Also, if you take a picture with a wide angle lens, say a 25 or 30 mm, things seem to extend farther than they should.  (Valve covers)

edselford

FWIW, I heard it was a 6.2L derivative. 

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

FWIW, I heard it was a 6.2L derivative. 

Even the head engineer on the project said that they thought of doing that but that it wouldn't give the benefit expected

and the more they looked at it, the more they realized that the maximum speed they were looking at was about 4,000 rpm

and an OHC design wouldn't really be an advantage, especially all that extra width at the top of the engine. The other side

to this was looking all commercial engines that would use it, the slimmer profile of the OHV pushrod design won out.

Back when the original "Hurricane/Boss" 5.8 /6.2 /7.0 the brass pushed hard for a simpler pushrod engine 

but the engineers pressed hard for the merits of the OHC design but couldn't get cylinder deactivaton to work.

Edited by jpd80

21 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Even the head engineer on the project said that they thought of doing that but that it wouldn't give the benefit expected

and the more they looked at it, the more they realized that the maximum speed they were looking at was about 4,000 rpm

and an OHC design wouldn't really be an advantage, especially all that extra width at the top of the engine. The other side

to this was looking all commercial engines that would use it, the slimmer profile of the OHV pushrod design won out.

Well once again from Mr. Beltramo, Chief 7.3 design engineer.   In so many words,   "Low RPM, High torque truck engine".  I guess at some point people will accept it for what it is meant to be.

Can't get here soon enough-in particular for 650/750.

8 minutes ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well once again from Mr. Beltramo, Chief 7.3 design engineer.   In so many words,   "Low RPM, High torque truck engine".  I guess at some point people will accept it for what it is meant to be.

Can't get here soon enough-in particular for 650/750.

It's to Ford credit that they were able to take a step back and really ask what the customer really wants /needs

rather than just dumping something like a 7.0 litre version of the 6.2 on them - that would have been a huge temptation.

Ford needed more capacity to get away from 12.7:1 rich mixtures that are normal deep in a loaded throttle,

it limits peak power and torque away from what everyone expected (500 HP / 520 lb ft)

but commercial customers will love Ford for resisting that in favor of fuel efficiency.

Big water pump, lots of cooling, good oil system, ample bearing area...

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

No, the 7.3L is not a derivative of the 6.2L.  I was referring to the 7L Boss that was in the Mustang picture I posted.  Point is was trying to make was that the 6.2L Boss design is capable of going to 7L. 

Yes and sorry if it sounded like I or others were dismissing you,  the 7.0 liter Boss and Rouch 777 Racing program

has  been mentioned on BON many times in the past, Rousch ended up developing a 460 CID engine based on the 6.2

Enjoy article and youtube  from 2012 : HERE

• Like 2

13 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Yes and sorry if it sounded like I or others were dismissing you,  the 7.0 liter Boss and Rouch 777 Racing program

has  been mentioned on BON many times in the past, Rousch ended up developing a 460 CID engine based on the 6.2

Enjoy article and youtube  from 2012 : HERE

Very surprised the used dual quad TBI instead of PFI !

I would like to see the horsepower and torque curves of that engine vs a "built" 460 or a KAASE Boss 460.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wildosvt said:

Is the F150 Raptor supposed to get a version of the new 7L in th next year or two? I guy I work with keeps mentioning it to me. If it is mentioned somewhere in this thread already, I apologize. 

There are rumors, but, AFAIK, Ford hasn't said anything even hinting at that.

• Thanks 1