New Ford 7.0 L....?

Well, automakers did convince the EPA larger displacements would equal lower emissions recently. The Boss series engine is well-known to top 7.0 if need to be. Probably for MD trucks but just dreaming of a 7.0 Mustang, Raptor GT, Falcon or all the above....

Edited by Fgts

The union guy said it was going to go in the F150. HIGHLY UNLIKELY !

This likely going to be an "all new" engine. I am betting it will be a SOHC and NOT direct injected. Past engines used deep skirt blocks. More recent engine have not. Probably just gray iron block with aluminum heads.

What will be interesting is if there will be a larger version for the F650/750.

Given the rising CAFE limits on F150, it's highly unlikely that a large capacity engine will be added,

I can see it going into Super Duty trucks and heavy duty vans, maybe medium duty trucks too.

What Ford really needs to do is make the 5.0 more fuel efficient, perhaps cylinder de-activation?

and if that is the case then perhaps a larger Atmo V8 using the same technology has a place

in Ford's larger trucks and SUVs.

I'm surprised that Ford did not announce either a V6 or V8 diesel for the Wndsor plants,

that would make a whole lot more sense than a large gas V8.

The union guy said it was going to go in the F150. HIGHLY UNLIKELY !

This likely going to be an "all new" engine. I am betting it will be a SOHC and NOT direct injected. Past engines used deep skirt blocks. More recent engine have not. Probably just gray iron block with aluminum heads.

What will be interesting is if there will be a larger version for the F650/750.

Curious as to why you think this will be a new engine and not based on the 6.2L 'Boss'. Not doubting, just wondering. And, wasn't there to be a smaller 'Boss' on the way?

Yes, that was supposed to be a smaller 'Boss', something like a 5.8L.

And wha happens was the 6.2's power and was upgraded instead.

the 7.0 is probably different enough to warrant its own engine line,

perhaps bore, stroke and deck height have been optimized for MD use.

Edited by jpd80

Curious as to why you think this will be a new engine and not based on the 6.2L 'Boss'. Not doubting, just wondering. And, wasn't there to be a smaller 'Boss' on the way?

A lot of time and several major new engines have been released and lessons learned since the original "Boss" went into production. Look at the new 3.5L EcoBoost in the F150. It is pretty much all new.

If there is going to be a BIG variant of this engine (>8.0L) then I think it will need bigger bores and bigger pistons.

I would think that Ford would either upgrade the 6.2 into a 7.0 liter with a 104.75mm bore and 101.6mm stroke and stay at the 5.4/5.8 deck height of 256mm. This would give them .4035" between the bores which is plenty with grey iron. A good Bore to Stroke ratio and probably about a 1.70 Rod to stroke ratio.

If they are thinking of a totally new design, say a CGI designed V8, similar to the 2.7 Ecoboost, with CGI block and innovative lower aluminum pan and aluminum heads, that would also be great!

On a F450 F550, it would be great to be able to run on 4 cylinders at idle because many commercial applications have very large idle times with low loads.

It looks like direct injection on gasoline engines does have significant drawbacks in unregulated emissions which will eventually be regulated. Ford going to a dual fuel system, like Toyota, Mercedes probably will go for exhaust particulate traps.

Im really glad to see the mid range truck assembly come back to the US from Mexico!

I go back to the early 1970's at ford. Remember the 351M?

Edselford

I thought that the 6.2 Boss' deck height was 9.41", a little low for a 4" stroke and long enough rods

for a heavy truck application. Perhaps a bigger bore and dedicated Siamese block, 4.125" x 3.75"

stroke would give a nice compact 7.0 with similar deck height.

Edited by jpd80

To jpd80,

Please check your math because a 4.125" bore with a 3.75" stroke gives you 400.92 cubic inches.

My thought is that Ford would try to mimimize investment by making use of all of what they already have, ie a 5.4/5.8 V8 and 6.8 V10 block tooling and line equipment that manufactures blocks that have a 256mm deck height. (10.078")

You would not want a 7.0 liter V8 with a 9.41" deck height for a heavy duty application like the F450/750. Rod to stroke ratio would be around 1.54.

edselford

To jpd80,

Please check your math because a 4.125" bore with a 3.75" stroke gives you 400.92 cubic inches.

My thought is that Ford would try to mimimize investment by making use of all of what they already have, ie a 5.4/5.8 V8 and 6.8 V10 block tooling and line equipment that manufactures blocks that have a 256mm deck height. (10.078")

You would not want a 7.0 liter V8 with a 9.41" deck height for a heavy duty application like the F450/750. Rod to stroke ratio would be around 1.54.

edselford

So Edsel. Help this old boy out. What is the definition of rod to stroke? I'm assuming the throws of the crankshaft figure in this? And to relate to the old days and what was a great truck engine, what would the rod to stroke ratio be on those old Super Duty V-8's (401, 477, 534) Back before the NH -250 Cummins (or Maxidyne) became the fleet diesel of choice the 220 Cummins was a "big dog" and I can recall many a driver who drove a 534 Ford brag about "trimming the ass off a 220".

To jpd80,

My mistake, I meant 4.25" bore, the extra 1 got in there and I didn't pick it up.

You're probably right on the taller deck height, perhaps the design is so stretched that it barely resembles the smaller 6.2.

That being the case, perhaps all dimensions get properly expanded to give the kind of engine necessary, a bit like the old

Super Duty 401 / 477 / 534 engine series. Big heavy low revving thumpers that got the job done, ideal as a CNG engine.

Edited by jpd80