Parking Assist Accident

socalred

2012 MKT

While using the parking assist, the Lincoln hit the rear bumper corner of the car next the Lincoln at the start of the parking maneuver. For the past four years I have used the parking assist almost every time I park.

No messages show in the message center indicating a system failure. All was normal (indicated park place found, pull forward, stop) during the start of the parking.

Ford dealer said they have no procedure or protocol to verify the failure/functionality of the parking assist system. Ford/Lincoln only help was to tell me to take it up with my insurance company. How can the insurance company explain the failure or verify why the system failed if the dealer can’t?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

That is a grey area. Granted the fine print is "you are to be aware of your surroundings while operating the system and need to intervene as needed". However, auto park gets pretty close anyway so I can see how it could happen before you realize. I understand your concern and you have a valid point, yet I don't see how you can make Ford accountable. Overall, auto park has very few misses. It works well almost every time. But I guess it miscalculated the distance.

Thanks for the responses.

I'm not looking for Ford/Lincoln to pay for anything. I'm looking to Ford/Lincoln to explain what happened to the system that allowed it to hit the other car.

I have located two other events just like this one and looking for more. Also my insurance is looking into the number of these events after I told them about Fords position.

I do and did know what the manual has printed in it.

Ford just announced a complete parking system (controls steering, accelerator and brake. You would think they would be interested in any failure of older systems but not so.

Can anyone verify the technology for the side sensor? Ultrasonic/RF?