'17 Wards 10 Best Engines

I think these Ward's 10 best engine lists blur the lines between best engine and best car. So the 2.3L Ecoboost is a "best engine" in a Focus but not in a Mustang?

RS- 350HP/350Ft-lb

Mustang Ecoboost: 310HP/320ft lb

its that extra 40HP/30 Ft-lbs that makes a difference.

• Like 1

RS- 350HP/350Ft-lb

Mustang Ecoboost: 310HP/320ft lb

its that extra 40HP/30 Ft-lbs that makes a difference.

This is hearsay- I was chatting with a guy in the parking lot at Murdoch's who owned a bright orange/red Ecoboost Mustang - he "told me" that with a cold intake, one other mod that I don't recall, and 'Bama tuner he dyno'ed at 340 HP. He had a Borla exhaust set-up but I think that is sound over performance thing. It sounded pretty good! Not V8 good, but good.

He was very proud - and it was a damn nice Mustang. I can see the allure of this model in lieu of the GT.

Edited by Kev-Mo

This is hearsay- I was chatting with a guy in the parking lot at Murdoch's who owned a bright orange/red Ecoboost Mustang - he "told me" that with a cold intake, one other mod that I don't recall, and 'Bama tuner he dyno'ed at 340 HP. He had a Borla exhaust set-up but I think that is sound over performance thing. It sounded pretty good! Not V8 good, but good.

He was very proud - and it was a damn nice Mustang. I can see the allure of this model in lieu of the GT.

The Ecoboost motors take tunes with a couple bolt ons and make great power...

I don't want to steal this thread; but since it is engine related, I have a question that perhaps someone can answer. I was watching a TV show recently on building a Koenigsegg supercar; and when they got to their 5.0 V8 engine build, it seemed to resemble the basic layout of Ford's 5.0 DOHC V8. Some time ago, I remember (or think I remember) reading that Koenigsegg was developing an in-house modified version of Ford's V8 for some of its supercars. It seems they go to great lengths to downplay any heritage their engine shares with the Ford. Does anyone have any info to share on this subject?

I have followed Wards for years, specially their "interior" awards as well and I've never read them to be bias. There have been years that Ford has had multiple engines listed, 2-3 on average. The Ford Triton engines engines won numerous times, for years consecutively. I did notice this year the Nissan VQ engine line didn't win, other than Fords Triton, the VQ was another that would win year after year in different displacements and tunes.

To add, if you link onto the more specific stories within Wards about these engines, and a more in depth synopsis. They also loved the Lincoln 3.0L V6 as well, and rated it against the Infinity 3.0L, its just that engine returned better MPG.

theres a Ford Performance pack for the eco Mustang for 699...and its quit impressive, puts it right in line with the RS...AND it doesn't void the warranty.

Calibration features:

Peak gains of 25hp at ~5500rpm and 70lbs/ft at ~2200rpm

40hp and 60lbs/ft average gain from 2500-5000rpm

75hp and 64lbs/ft average gain from 5500-6800rpm

100hp maximum gain at ~6000rpm

So it's putting out 410 HP?