NAIAS 2017

I'm in the same boat, need to make my 186k mile Focus last that long and it needs waaaaaay more than just spark plugs.

You don't understand. My 4.6L 3V has those damn two-piece Motorcraft plugs. Broke three the last time I changed them. I even followed the TSB. Let them soak overnight, the whole bit. Fortunately I had bought the Lisle tool to get the broken off tips out of the head. Not one of Ford's better ideas.

• Like 1

You don't understand. My 4.6L 3V has those damn two-piece Motorcraft plugs. Broke three the last time I changed them. I even followed the TSB. Let them soak overnight, the whole bit. Fortunately I had bought the Lisle tool to get the broken off tips out of the head. Not one of Ford's better ideas.

How many miles?

I feel your pain, my old Explorer had that same engine, those plugs area bitch to change, especially on the passenger side.

I need on my Focus a complete rear suspension rebuild and another at least partial front suspension rebuild, including tie rods this time.

I've heard if you run a tank of gas with BG's 44K it'll clean the carbon out of the combustion chamber and around the plugs.

Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. I found letting the engine temp be between a cold engine and operating temp. I get them just warm. Then I take my ratchet and apply constant pressure until it starts to move and keep constant turning action. That works really well for me. However, I have had some that seem like they are broke before I start. Some guys swear by using a small impact on them and have great luck. I personally have had great success. Actually the service advisors prefer for me to get them because I don't come back saying they app broke and need more time. If only one breaks I don't ask for more time. If two or more then I have to charge to get them out.

• Like 1

I've heard if you run a tank of gas with BG's 44K it'll clean the carbon out of the combustion chamber and around the plugs.

I sprayed Seafoam into the throttle body while the engine was running (about 2000 rpm) before trying to pull the plugs. Also backed all the plugs out about 1/4 turn and filled plug sockets with Kroil and let it soak overnight. Still broke three out of eight. Not a huge deal since I had the tool to remove the stuck electrodes from the head. Just an unnecessary PITA if they had done their job and designed a better head/plug. They redesigned the 3V head in 2008 and used a one-piece spark plug but my truck is a 2007.

Just need to make it last two more years until the Ranger comes out. If the plugs are the worst thing I have to worry about I will be more than happy with my Sport Trac experience. The only other real problems were the transmission bump issue, broken exhaust manifold studs and warped manifolds (all fixed under warranty) and I had to replace the front axle wheel bearing/hub assemblies and some sway bar end links. All common problems. One set of brake pads and a couple sets of tires. Not that bad for ten years and 137k miles. Plus the truck does everything I need and is the perfect size for my needs. Ranger crewcab 4x4 with a 2.7L EB and ten speed would be the perfect replacement. :fingers crossed:

post-22574-0-43332000-1483972904_thumb.jpg