Ford Adding Electrified F-150, Mustang, Transit by 2020 in Major EV Push; Expanded U.S. Plant to Add 700 Jobs to Make EVs, Autonomous Cars

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia-mobile/fna/us/en/news/2017/01/03/ford-adding-electrified-f-150-mustang-transit-by-2020.html

Ford confirms seven of 13 new global electrified vehicles coming in the next five years, including F-150 Hybrid, Mustang Hybrid and Transit Custom plug-in hybrid

Ford to launch fully electric SUV with an estimated range of at least 300 miles and two new electrified police vehicles

The automaker is investing $700 million and adding 700 direct new jobs in Flat Rock (Michigan) Assembly Plant to create a factory capable of producing high-tech electrified and autonomous vehicles – plus the iconic Ford Mustang and Lincoln Continental

Ford is piloting wireless technology that makes recharging an electric vehicle as easy as pulling into a parking spot; in addition, the company is testing EV prototypes this year in Europe, New York and other large U.S. cities

Ford is canceling plans for a new $1.6 billion plant in San Luis Potosi, Mexico, and investing $700 million in the Flat Rock, Michigan, plant’s expansion; Ford will build its next-generation Focus at an existing plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, to improve company profitability

• Like 1

Fully electric small utility is most like the Model E we've been waiting for, and Fields talked about the previous Escape hybrid so it seems likely this is related to the new Escape.

I now wonder what the pursuit-rated hybrid vehicles are, Explorer and Taurus?

None of this really solves Ford's production constraints on utilities however which is worrisome.

This must have been a VERY rushed announcement, I bet they got a wiff of something that GM is announcing in Detroit. Even the press release is full of typos.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

Thats crazy with the Focus...I wonder if they'll spin up Fusion production again in Flat Rock?

I also wonder if its going to make retooling the existing plant for the Ranger/Bronco get completed quicker?

I've asked my launch team friends at FRAP about that and they haven't been told anything about it, so I guess that's still a possibility.

I think Ford sees the sedan market shrinking more in the next few years so they will be able to fit both cars at HMO. Remember, MKZ is tentatively moving to FRAP by the end of the decade, and this electrification investment paves the way for that.

As far as MAP is concerned, I'll investigate when I get back to work tonight but to my knowledge as I sit here right now, nothing has changed as far as retooling time is concerned. AFAIK, the plant layout for the Ranger is still in its first draft and a LOT of decisions need to be made still. I doubt any of this speeds any of that up.

Thats crazy with the Focus...I wonder if they'll spin up Fusion production again in Flat Rock?

I also wonder if its going to make retooling the existing plant for the Ranger/Bronco get completed quicker?

They still need the new Focus to produce.

• Like 1

I still get the sense that nothing is set in stone at MAP and neither is Ranger/Bronco. It's one of the reasons Ford has never confirmed the products going into that plant despite keeping virtually no secrets on everything else. They just lost a HUGE chunk of their expanded production capacity by closing Mexico which leads me to believe they are going to need to move some of that planned production back to the US.

Edited by BORG

I still get the sense that nothing is set in stone at MAP and neither is Ranger/Bronco. They just lost a HUGE chunk of their expanded production capacity by closing Mexico which leads me to believe they are going to need to move some of that planned production back to the US.

Haven't heard word one about the Bronco yet, but as I said earlier the plant layout for the Ranger is still in the early draft phases and there's still a lot that needs to be determined.

Driverless cars will still be too expensive for average buyers. More likely will be corporate owned for Uber-type ride sharing. And imagine all the constant software updates, etc, that will have these cars having to sit awhile.

Will be quite some time before Mr and Mrs Average will be able to get 'driven' to work and they can take a nap in the car.

Cancelling MEX plant mean that maybe even there is too much cost to build smaller cars? Will there be imported Fiestas and Focuses from wherever is cheaper?

Most likely market trends...I think Ford is looking leaner times the next couple years and doesn't want to have excess capacity, which is smart.

• Like 1

There is still the industry report that indicates Fiesta is being dropped and replaced by something else, which might be the EcoSport. Although it's my understanding that almost all of these changes have happened in the last 3 months and is part of a company wide cost cutting strategy, that includes the decision to import EcoSport. I know quite a few programs were also on the cutting block but I'm not privy to what new vehicles were being canceled so that is why I think Ranger and Bronco may be in limbo with these last minute changes.

Edited by BORG

There is still the industry report that indicates Fiesta is being dropped and replaced by something else, which might be the EcoSport.

Where? The Fiesta has its own plant in Mexico at the moment and there hasn't been any mention of it being changed...yet.

• Like 1

Nobody's even mentioning the hybrid F150. Presume it will share the drivetrain with Mustang. I would presume we would also see a hybrid Ranger.

Would the hybrid F150 be a lightweight 1/4 ton version?

I doubt it will be a 1/4 ton version because he did mention that it will have added capability.

The Bolt is nothing more then a glorified people mover

it doesn't look like CUV or SUV

Ford is calling it a "Utility", that's all. You are filling in the rest yourself per the usual.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

There is still the industry report that indicates Fiesta is being dropped and replaced by something else, which might be the EcoSport. Although it's my understanding that almost all of these changes have happened in the last 3 months and is part of a company wide cost cutting strategy, that includes the decision to import EcoSport.

What if Fusion/MkZ went to The Fiesta plant (I can never spell it right) and Focus/Ecosport/Fiesta went to Hermosillo?