2018 Ford Mustang

My understanding is the 2018 GT350 will not receive the changes the other 2018 Mustang models will receive.

Hmm, sounds like the Raptor.

The Mustang does get a tweaked rear with a familiar but improved taillight design and a re-sculpted bumper. The taillights retain that louvered appearance but are now sculpted so they aren't as linear...should have been this way from the beginning.

Edited by BORG

Was that planned, or moved up due to the leak? Seems like odd timing.

It was planned. Ford has actually done this before in the middle of the Detroit AutoShow public week. It won't appear in an exhibit until Chicago. Ford had the press event today in a small venue.

You'll also notice that none of the outlets currently under embargo are reporting the leak (or they shouldn't be anyway).

Edited by BORG

I don't like the how they took away the cohesiveness of the upper and lower grilles in the fascia.

2017 for comparison:

2016-Ford-Mustang-GT-MT-homepage.jpg

2015-Ford-Mustang-GT-front-three-quarter

Buuuuuuuut....

In the design of the 15/16/17 model, the visual balance between the upper and lower grilles made the eyes natural landing spot smack dab in the bumper between them. In the 18, to me at least, the visual weighting of the upper opening draws the eye immediately to the pony.

It might not be as prevalent in photos, but in the metal, it's a small change that makes a big difference.

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things, it is a relatively tame refresh, I just do not like the unresolved grille lines. The upper grille used to integrate nicely with the lower fascia, now the lower fascia just...... exists.

I'm sure it will just take getting used to.

another 2018 v 2017 comparo:

post-6726-0-87924700-1484613897.png

I don't quite agree with you. The vertical slats in the upper and lower openings are continuous, and the sides of the lower opening are parallel to the sides of the upper opening. Arguably, the triangular faux intakes on either side break up the flow more, but I have such an overwhelming fondness for closed gestalt designs that I can't really comment on which of these designs I prefer.

Here ya go!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32298/2018-ford-mustang/

landscape-1484589838-new-ford-mustang-v8

gallery-1484594346-new-ford-mustang-v8-g

The most significant upgrade for the 2018 Mustang is MagneRide magnetorheological adaptive dampers, available on both the EcoBoost and GT Performance Packs. Previously, the only Mustang to offer magnetically-controlled active dampers was the top-of-the-line Shelby GT350. Given the wonders that magnetic dampers work in other high-performance settings (we're looking at you, Corvette and Camaro), they should bring big handling improvements to the 2018 Mustang. Starting in 2018, the Performance Package will be available on automatic and/or convertible Mustangs, a change from the previous manual-and-hardtop-only requirements.

As predicted, the six-cylinder Mustang is officially dead for 2018. Both the 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder and 5.0-liter V8 get increases in horsepower and torque, though Ford hasn't yet specified power output for the updated 'Stang.

Edited by Anthony

It's funny because I was just mentioning how dated Ford's Instrument Panels looked compared to everybody else and this Mustang is the first to get a 12-inch screen...although I'm pretty sure it's the same one in Lincoln and global Fords (Explorer Platinum).

It's funny because I was just mentioning how dated Ford's Instrument Panels looked compared to everybody else and this Mustang is the first to get a 12-inch screen...although I'm pretty sure it's the same one in Lincoln and global Fords (Explorer Platinum).

No. It's completely reconfigurable according to what I read. It's not like the Explorer Platinum's guages, which have screens within permanent gauges. The traditional two gauges are "normal" mode, while sport modes go to a bar tach and digital speedo, but it's overridable to set how you want it.

From autoblog....

The real party trick inside is the optional 12-inch fully digital gauge cluster and its various display modes. A brief video presentation showed all the major display modes, which drastically change the position of the various instruments and secondary information. There is a traditional view, with two round gauges, and there are other display types that a utilize bar-style tachometer and numerical speedo readout. While the various gauge display modes are keyed to the basic drive modes (Normal, Sport, and Track), the driver will also be able to override and select whichever one they like. Track apps will also have more real estate on the display to take over. We don't have images and descriptions of all the functions and display times at this time, but surely there will be a detailed video closer to roll-out.

It may be the same screen as the Continental (I don't recall how large it is)......but even so, who cares? It's a screen. They can (and did) make it look completely different.