Here’s What I Learned Driving The 2016 Ford Ranger You Can’t Buy

I'd expect F150 styling outside and maybe inside as well with 2.0EB base engine, 2.7LEB and 3.0 Diesel engines. Platform changes might yield some weight reductions. And a Raptor version.

On configurations, extended cab (with a real back seat) and double cab are a given. Single cab would probably exist if they're going for fleet sales.

I'd expect F150 styling outside and maybe inside as well with 2.0EB base engine, 2.7LEB and 3.0 Diesel engines. Platform changes might yield some weight reductions. And a Raptor version.

On configurations, extended cab (with a real back seat) and double cab are a given. Single cab would probably exist if they're going for fleet sales.

I don't think the 3.0 diesel will show up. I think it will be one of the new I4 engines as the 3.0 will be too powerful/costly.

I wonder if this new 2.0L diesel would be a better fit. Replacing the older 2.2L. 340nm comes out to 250ft/lbs if I did my math right.

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/feu/en/news/2016/04/26/all-new-ford-ecoblue-engine-is-diesel-game-changer--cleaner--mor.html

A 2.0 Ecoblue Diesel would certainly get the fuel economy well above US 30 mpg.

Also with regards to steering being "heavy", that weighting tends to be driven by market expectation,

it's more to do with stronger dampening for 'whip-back" that can happen on rough bush tracks.

"Rough riding" again needs to have some perspective, these trucks are set up to do serious work and

suspension compliance changes when the vehicle is loaded either with three passengers, weight in back

or towing a trailer.

I'm actually wondering if the new 3.3 PFDI V6 gets the nod in the US Ranger, it would seem to be

an ideal sized V6 that will be readily available and more than capable of staying up with larger

capacity V6s. The other RWD gas engine choice I see is the Mustang's 2.3 Ecoboost...

Get the gas engine choices right and the diesel opton becomes less important..

Edited by jpd80

Does the Ranger have EPAS? I know that's something all US Fords currently have which is critical toward improved efficiency and some of the assisted driving/parking technology. Based on the reviewer, it sounds like it probably doesn't. I have a feeling Ford needs to toss out everything but the frame and body to bring it up to code for the US but we should see some evidence of this work being done.

Edited by BORG

Does the Ranger have EPAS? I know that's something all US Fords currently have which is critical toward improved efficiency and some of the assisted driving/parking technology. Based on the reviewer, it sounds like it probably doesn't. I have a feeling Ford needs to toss out everything but the frame and body to bring it up to code for the US but we should see some evidence of this work being done.

It sure does

http://www.motoring.com.au/safety-firsts-for-fresh-ford-ranger-50042/

I'm assuming the feel is a calibration thing, nothing more.

Thanks for the link silversvt. Based on this commentary, I'm eager to test drive the new U.S. Ranger when it comes out in a few years. It sounds very promising. Lots of Americans want pickup trucks midsize or smaller. By then, my '04 Ranger will probably have over 350k miles on the odometer and I'll be ready for a new truck.

If Ford adds a midsize unibody truck to its U.S. lineup (similar to Honda Ridgeline), that will go on my shopping list as well.

Thanks for the link silversvt. Based on this commentary, I'm eager to test drive the new U.S. Ranger when it comes out in a few years. It sounds very promising. Lots of Americans want pickup trucks midsize or smaller. By then, my '04 Ranger will probably have over 350k miles on the odometer and I'll be ready for a new truck.

If Ford adds a midsize unibody truck to its U.S. lineup (similar to Honda Ridgeline), that will go on my shopping list as well.

So Sport Trac 2.0?

Another fun fact:

2010 Explorer Sport Trac XLT V6 4x2 - $28,410

2016 Colorado LT V6 4x2 - $28,210

I think the odds shortened today on Ranger maybe getting a 2.3 EB and 10AT,

that certainly helps when there's another vehicle with the combination..

Edited by jpd80

How is the new Fridgeline selling? I've seen exactly one on the road.

I've seen a few on the road where I live, but we have a higher percentage of luxury and foreign makes here.

But something a bit more factual...its enjoyed its best year in sales since 2008!

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/honda-ridgeline-sales-figures.html

I've seen a few on the road where I live, but we have a higher percentage of luxury and foreign makes here.

But something a bit more factual...its enjoyed its best year in sales since 2008!

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/honda-ridgeline-sales-figures.html

I've seen a few here in CT (also an area where foreign makes and luxury cars rule the road). It actually looks pretty nice in the flesh and like akirby said, it doesn't offend me and I think it fits within it's target market well. People who want a pickup bed, but don't really NEED all the towing / off-road abilities that most come with (or the larger size of most).

I like the concept of the Ridgeline. If Honda put a more truck-like front end on it, I think it would look better. The nose just has too much slope.

A friend of mine has one and loves it.

It's really intended for Accord or Odyssey owners who also need a light duty pickup occasionally. Prevents them from going to Tacoma, Ram, Canyorado, Silvererra or F-series. So it makes sense they would keep the styling in line with other Honda products.

• Like 1