Chicago Auto Show Schedule

Right after CD7, silly.

Anyone else wonder what happened to CD5? Poor thing....just got skipped.

I think it would almost have to be a MCE of the current platform - probably to align the styling with the new Expedition.

That's what I'm leaning toward, especially if that mule we saw not too long ago was indeed a mule.....yeah it had '11-15 panels/lighting, but could've been a powertrain mule or something?

Funny, though, because I was thinking Expedition would follow Explorer styling in overall look/feel.

What kind of changes could be expected for the Explorer for such a short run? I must say I would welcome some more cosmetic changes as I'm not a big fan of the current grill or wheels. While we are at it change the center stack as well to accommodate a bigger screen.

Must be some significant powertrain update. I don't think the exterior will get much change.

I'm guessing 9 speed auto for 2018 model year, 2.3 Ecoboost takes over as standard retail engine, 3.5 V6 becomes fleet order only. Plus trim level update to match the rest of Ford line up:

• Base
  • XLT
  • Titanium replacing Limited - or alternatively, Lariat with more truck-like appearance replacing Limited (or in addition to Titanium)
  • Sport
  • Platinum

The middle of Explorer lineup is ripe for more options/appearance packages to boost transaction prices. Think about the Sport/Platinum split on the high end - now apply the same concept to the middle - Lariat/Titanium split... basically the same equipment level but different exterior appearance and interior trim.

Edited by bzcat

Must be some significant powertrain update. I don't think the exterior will get much change.

I'm guessing 9 speed auto for 2018 model year, 2.3 Ecoboost takes over as standard retail engine, 3.5 V6 becomes fleet order only. Plus trim level update to match the rest of Ford line up:

• Base
  • XLT
  • Titanium replacing Limited - or alternatively, Lariat with more truck-like appearance replacing Limited (or in addition to Titanium)
  • Sport
  • Platinum

The middle of Explorer lineup is ripe for more options/appearance packages to boost transaction prices. Think about the Sport/Platinum split on the high end - now apply the same concept to the middle - Lariat/Titanium split... basically the same equipment level but different exterior appearance and interior trim.

I think we'll see some changes to the exterior, though probably not to the same level as the most recent MCE. Perhaps just a new bumper while retaining the same lights or something like that.

I'm not sure that's what jasonj80 was describing.

Some BMW's (x3/x5) and VW's (golf/Jetta) do it with the fog light like the Transit Connect, they come on and function as a corning light when the vehicle turns. Some BMW (older 5 series) do what the Escape/Focus with HID do and have a corning light in the headlamp assembly. Though I think the Escape dropped it with the '17 redesign.

Edited by jasonj80

I've heard for 2 years now that the base trim was going away, for retail at least.

That'd make sense. Most people who buy explorers and edges wants fancier trims. Why bother stocking a vehicle that's almost all fleet anyhow.

You think ford would add a dang cargo area light in the explorer. $45-60k and there isn't any light in the cargo well with the third row up. WTF!?!

That'd make sense. Most people who buy explorers and edges wants fancier trims. Why bother stocking a vehicle that's almost all fleet anyhow.

You think ford would add a dang cargo area light in the explorer. $45-60k and there isn't any light in the cargo well with the third row up. WTF!?!

There's one over the third row isn't there?

I'm just going by the differnce between the Halogens in the Raptor and the LED's in a buddy's '16 Explorer. The older halogens give better distance and more even light distribution at least for my eyes, maybe it is because of the height. The Explorer is super bright in front of the vehicle but is splotchy in pattern. Just because somehting has LED/HID doens't mean they have good distance or light pattern. The HID's in the Raptor gained in later model years are even better at night. The LED's in the new F-150 are great, though in the new Fusion are extreamly bright but have a sharp cutoff at a short distance. The lowbeam Headlights (HID or Not) in the Edge just suck. I will say this some of my headlights expierence with new Ford cars was in rental cars so they might not be aimed properly.

Speaking of Lighting most Euro Fords Fog lights function as turning lights as well, (turn on a turn signal, or turn the steering wheel and the right or left fog light comes on at below 5mph to aid in seeing near the front of the vehicle) any one know the reason why this isn't enabled on US cars and could it be if you can get into the programming module? I think the Transit Connect is the only Ford that has the option here. Seems an easy feature to add at no cost to cars that have Fog lights.

I remember my 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe had a separate turning light on the side of the car that worked well.

My '89 T-Bird SC had cornering lights built into the headlight assemblies, IIRC. I never understood why those fell out of favor.

Actually, the cornering lights were separate and mounted on the fenders.

What color was yours? Mine was a red 5-speed. Had it for 23 years. Kinda wish I had never sold it.

post-22574-0-56846700-1486630922_thumb.jpg

Edited by blksn8k2

What color was yours? Mine was a red 5-speed. Had it for 23 years. Kinda wish I had never sold it.

I had a white 5-speed that I traded for a '92 SHO. I almost traded the SHO for a '95 SC 5-speed program car, but ended up getting a better deal on a '95 SHO 5-speed. Then, a few years later, I almost bought a 35th Anniversary (black over silver) 5-speed. I wish I'd've been able to swing that deal.

I had a lot of fun driving that T-Bird, and I had the tickets to prove it. Fortunately, they never caught me doing the dumber things I did in that car...

So is there supposed to be a Ford press event occurring in Chicago today at 11:30 (CT??)

Yes, that's what I've heard. I am a bit confused because Ford already shown the Expedition redesign a few days ago in a separate press event in Dallas. I doubt they would do another press event for the Expedition at the show again when it's been done. I'm wondering if it's a second vehicle meaning the Expedition was shown separately in order for this second one to be shown today. Which would fit the rumors of Explorer update. Some complaints of Expedition looking too 'Explorer-like' may be why Ford showed it first a few days ago before this reveal today of whatever it is. At least that's what I'm thinking. But if they're showing Expedition again today, then why the hype of having two press events within days apart for the same vehicle?

Remember the confusion at the Detroit Show where they revealed the updated 2018 F-150 in a press release a few days before only to show it just a few seconds at the live event before confirming returns of Ranger and Bronco and then carrying on to full detailed plans of 'City of Tomorrow'? Certainly a WTF moment on Ford's part then and I hope this isn't another repeat of it. So I'm a bit confused and hope it is second vehicle. So yes, I'm wondering as much as you are and hoping someone could tell us both (and the rest of this thread visitors) something within the next hour in terms of if it's another vehicle or just a second Expedition reveal.

Edited by pffan1990

Didn't even think of Shelby GT500 though I'm sure they would save that for the New York Show due to ties of Mustang and NY shows in pasts (at least in my own opinion). We could be very well surprised though with this car. Bullitt Edition for 2018 Mustang as well? Who knows. On topic of Mustang, I'd like to see Mach 1 with Shaker hood scoop at some point with this generation. We last got it with the 2004 generation (SN-95) but not the S197 (2005-2014).

Edited to add: I do however think it's the updated 2018 Explorer to carry it over towards its full redesign sometime by 2020.

Edited by pffan1990