Going to the mountains here in Socal, which is expected to get a little snow so I might need chains or cables. The owner manual says on my 2014 Explorer Limited on page 370 that chains or cables can't be used on 20" tires. I can't believe the 1/2" wider tire makes such a difference that you can't even use cables? What about if I bought a spacer to bring the wheel out 3/4" or an 1"?????
Below are the tire dimensions!

2014 Explorer XLT Explorer Limited

245 – 60 - 18

255 – 60 - 20

Difference

Diameter inches (mm)

-0.54 -1.8%

Width inches (mm)

0.39 4.1%

Circum. inches (mm)

-1.69 - 1.8%

Sidewall Height inches (mm)

-1.27 -21.9%

Revolutions per mile (km)

12.67 1.9%

If you look at the above chart the Explorer Limited tolerances between the tires and wheel well are that tight... just a 1/2" wider tire (1/4" on inside and extra 1/4" on outside) makes it so you can't use snow cables or chains? Just seems unthinkable, especially with cables.

QUESTION:

1. Anyone know the reason for no snow chains or cable? Only thing I see is the STRUT which does seem close to the tire, maybe 1-2" away.

2. What if I put on a wheel spacer to add 3/4" to 1" away from strut. Will that work??? Spacers are usually used by people putting wide tires on

Thanks ahead of time.

Jim