• Custom Search

Sweeper240

A/D/X/Z plan discounts are a farce

These fixed price plans are a facade to attempt to control the margins and discounts provided to the customer. The idea that x plan or whatever noun/label they want to use somehow can't be beat because it's some specially audited price is ridiculous. Ford/dealers just don't want to have variable discounts they want to control the discount. The dealer never looses money selling n cars, they get rewarded for volume and overall make plenty of money. the invoice price is a fabricated number that doesn't consider all the kickbacks dealers get for moving inventory in and out at volume. Ford dealers show you all this paperwork in an attempt to create trust. They'lleon@primewheel.com swear up and down that nothing can beat x/a/whatever plan and that Ford audits the numbers... so what even if they do thenot simply elect to not use the "plan".

You're not going to beat a or z plan. That's 4% below dealer invoice, regardless of what the dealer actually pays. X plan can be beat but it's a good no haggle price with protection against high fees and unwanted stuff. In the end it's about what you pay not what it costs the dealer. Best Buy probably makes more on a $3K tv than a dealer does on a $20k car. A $2k piece of furniture costs the store $1K or less. Do you work for free?

You're not going to beat a or z plan. That's 4% below dealer invoice, regardless of what the dealer actually pays. X plan can be beat but it's a good no haggle price with protection against high fees and unwanted stuff. In the end it's about what you pay not what it costs the dealer. Best Buy probably makes more on a $3K tv than a dealer does on a $20k car. A $2k piece of furniture costs the store $1K or less. Do you work for free?

Don't ya just love it when a new member joins just to bitch about something?

Don't ya just love it when a new member joins just to bitch about something?

Especially love the grammar errors and the inability to figure out exactly wtf they're bitching about.

I ordered and bought two vehicles with X Plan. Could I have negotiated a better deal? Most likely, but I did not feel it was worth the hassle. My small town dealer treats me great and I enjoy keeping local people employed. :) I also go there for all of my service.

Apparently the new member was looking for a place to troll... :baby:

We have bought 4 new vehicles over the years. 3 of those were on x-plan. I was only able to negotiate lower than x-plan on my 2015 Fusion Energi. We are picky buyers so dealers don't have what we want in stock. We've had to custom order 2 of those and the other 2 were dealer exchanges so that probably hurts our negotiating position some. Our most recent purchase was a 2017 Explorer Platinum. I couldn't find a better deal than x-plan on it.

When we got our 2012 Escape Hybrid we went to a dealer and told them exactly what we wanted and said we expect that it will have to be ordered and I dropped my credit card on the table and said I will make the deposit right now and here's what I'm willing pay (I knew the x-plan price). The sales guy immediately went to the sales manager and they came back with a no. We were in the door and out in under 5 minutes. They literally had a sale land in their lap and they declined presumably because they didn't think it was worth their time. We eventually got the x-plan PIN and went to another dealer and completed the deal a week later.

Anyway, yes, you can beat x-plan, but not all of the time. The OP is probably trolling.

Edited by briangideon

X plan can be beat but it's a good no haggle price with protection against high fees and unwanted stuff.

A good "no haggle" price is very valuable to some customers, especially in rural areas where the next dealer could be 50 miles away !

My neighbor loves it because she is an older, single woman and wants a simple transaction. Last one, the salesman delivered the car, she signed the papers at her dining room table and he drove the trade-in back. ! That's service !!

Edited by theoldwizard

I don't begrudge the dealer some profit and I hate haggling over price so I use X plan. It's nice to just call up the salesperson and say "here's what I want - find it" and not have to discuss price and knowing you aren't getting ripped off.

If only there was a X plan model for trade-in value. I hate playing that game. I understand it's wholesale but don't lowball me on the wholesale value.

I don't begrudge the dealer some profit and I hate haggling over price so I use X plan. It's nice to just call up the salesperson and say "here's what I want - find it" and not have to discuss price and knowing you aren't getting ripped off.

If only there was a X plan model for trade-in value. I hate playing that game. I understand it's wholesale but don't lowball me on the wholesale value.

I agree! Everyone is in business to make money or else they wouldn't do it. I have no problem with a dealer making money off me, I just prefer not to play the whole "let me go talk to my manager" game. Also the capped document fees is great!

And the restriction on forced dealer add-ons like paint protection, etc. Also if there is any dealer cash on the vehicle Ford will normally give that to you as well in the form of an extra X plan rebate.

What I think is a FARCE are "doc fees". $200 to type a few things into a computer program ????

I was negotiating over the phone with a dealership on a used car for a family member. I asked if that was the final price plus tax, tag and title. He said yes, other than the normal documentation fee of (I think) $399. I said oh that - I usually just call it additional dealer profit. He said "um....yeah."

I'm buying a Lincoln and the X-plan price was better than the credit union buying service. The benefit was my local dealer has a $599 doc fee, but X-plan buyer doc fee is maxed out at $100.

These fixed price plans are a facade to attempt to control the margins and discounts provided to the customer. The idea that x plan or whatever noun/label they want to use somehow can't be beat because it's some specially audited price is ridiculous. Ford/dealers just don't want to have variable discounts they want to control the discount. The dealer never looses money selling n cars, they get rewarded for volume and overall make plenty of money. the invoice price is a fabricated number that doesn't consider all the kickbacks dealers get for moving inventory in and out at volume. Ford dealers show you all this paperwork in an attempt to create trust. They'lleon@primewheel.com swear up and down that nothing can beat x/a/whatever plan and that Ford audits the numbers... so what even if they do thenot simply elect to not use the "plan".

So the dealership should sell you a vehicle that they are taking a loss on? How long do you think they are going to stay in business that way? You do realize that businesses open with the intention of making money.

What I think is a FARCE are "doc fees". $200 to type a few things into a computer program ????

YES! I just purchased a travel trailer and they had almost $4,000 in documentation fees that they swear were "state regulated" I laughed all the way out the door. When the final paperwork was complete its amazing that the documentation fee went to $175.

I was doing a deal on a used car for a family member over the phone. I asked if that was the out the door price and he said yes, except for the doc fee which you probably already know about.

I said yes but I usually call it Additional Dealer Profit. He just said "umm....yeah".

I'm a new member and I ain't bitching. A/Z/X Plan is an excellent plan for someone who wants to get a car with the least amount of hassle for an excellent price. Yes, Plan pricing can be beat by doing research, homework, and beating the lots looking for deals. Then knowing how to do some hardnosed negotiation with a salesman and finance gorilla. That's fine if that's what you want to do. Some folks just want to get the car at a reasonable price while realizing that the dealer and Ford still have to keep the lights on.