Infiniti QX80 Monograph Concept Revealed

rmc523

Shot_1_Pyramid_1b_8000k.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/07/infiniti-qx80-monograph-concept-new-york/

It looks much better than the current one.

You think? The outgoing model suffers from odd proportions and headlights that sit a bit too low, but the concept suffers from odd proportions and headlights that sit way too high. The too-high lights raise the visual COG and disrupts any attempts at harmony in the profile horizontals.

Well, my wife and I wanted to upgrade to a full size SUV for some road trips that we had coming up and because the Expedition wasn't available yet, we traded our Explorer for a fully optioned CPO QX80 as a stop gap measure. This is my wife's vehicle, and wouldn't necessarily have been my first choice but it's the one she picked. I tried to get her to go for a 2015-16 Navigator, but she wouldn't go for it. We initially thought GMC Yukon, but there are five in or neighborhood so she was looking for something different.

The styling is polarizing, but I don't hate it. I really dig the safety tech, which is something we were specifically looking for. The interior is well appointed and has nice materials. The power is good and the trans is smooth.

On the downside, the doors feel a little light for what is supposed to be a luxury SUV, and don't feel like you closed the door on a tank, which I like. It is also pretty thirsty, even for a full size SUV. And don't get me started on the Bose sound system, it sucks. Every Bose system I have had in a vehicle has sucked.

Regarding this concept, I don't hate it. It looks basically like the old one with a new front clip. I think I do like how the headlights are positioned higher. Clearly they aren't going for a full redesign though.

Edited by tbone
  • Like 1