CD6 Hybrids?

I was just thinking about CD6 along with the recent announcement of Hybrid Mustand and F150.

Is it possible Ford is using electric motors to drive the front wheels (maybe one for each wheel)? That would work for any RWD platform including CD6. It would simplify AWD (mechanically speaking) and provide the choice of fuel economy (using the front wheels like a regular hybrid) or performance (using them in conjunction with the rear wheels for added power and control like a hybrid race car).

This would also support the theory that CD6 was going to be FWD, AWD and RWD.

• Like 1

To add on to this, wasn't there spindles on the Mustang that looked like they came from the Explorer...adding to AWD rumors?

Don't know anything about shared spindles with the Explorer, but I do remember seeing that the front spindles for the GT350 had splines in them presumably for axle shafts.
  • Like 1

From a packaging standpoint, if you are going to keep internal combustion engine in the front, it make more sense to keep the electric motors in the back for weight balancing, especially on larger vehicles like Explorer and such.

But that pretty much requires a transverse engine and FWD for the front wheels which kills performance.

• Like 1

From a packaging standpoint, if you are going to keep internal combustion engine in the front, it make more sense to keep the electric motors in the back for weight balancing, especially on larger vehicles like Explorer and such.

But akirby' proposed arrangement also allows for a larger/higher capacity battery pack in the rear to help with balancing Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I was just thinking about CD6 along with the recent announcement of Hybrid Mustand and F150.

Is it possible Ford is using electric motors to drive the front wheels (maybe one for each wheel)? That would work for any RWD platform including CD6. It would simplify AWD (mechanically speaking) and provide the choice of fuel economy (using the front wheels like a regular hybrid) or performance (using them in conjunction with the rear wheels for added power and control like a hybrid race car).

This would also support the theory that CD6 was going to be FWD, AWD and RWD.

It's certainly an interesting theory, and honestly makes sense to me, especially with Ford's announcements of so many hybridized/electric vehicles coming. We also know Explorer will be one because they talked about two hybrid police vehicles....Fusion is one, and PIU has to be the other, which would by extension mean Explorer will be hybridized as well.

But that pretty much requires a transverse engine and FWD for the front wheels which kills performance.

I had thought about that too.

We also know Explorer will be one because they talked about two hybrid police vehicles....Fusion is one, and PIU has to be the other, which would by extension mean Explorer will be hybridized as well.

Could it be possible that the second hybrid police vehicle could be the Expedition with the hybrid drivetrain from the F150?

Agree... You are assuming CD6 has longitude drivetrain layout. I'm just saying that there is not a lot of room up there for engine and 2 electric motors regardless of which way the engine and transmission sits. I'm not making any assumptions about CD6 drivetrain layout.

^^^^ I've been ranting for "virtual-Awd"/thru-the-road E-awd for a long time

:thumb:s

^ I really feel (just-imho) that cD6 will handle longitudinal as well as transverse engines...

...since cD6 is architecture not one platform

weight is more from batteries than motors afaik

tho agree for plug-ins where the electrics are about Equal to the petrol use, the petrol-Fwd seems more balanced

but

I've been wondering about Rwd-petrol just direct-feeding front-electros more for launch/4wd-traction;

not for long-term/distance propulsion

Edited by 2b2

The easiest way to create a hybrid for Mustang / F150 / SUV is to switch out the torque converter for an electric motor.

that way is the least amount of disruption when manufacturing and installing on existing production lines.

AWD can then hang off the gearbox transfer case as now..

Edited by jpd80

The easiest way to create a hybrid for Mustang / F150 / SUV is to switch out the torque converter for an electric motor.

that way is the least amount of disruption when manufacturing and installing on existing production lines.

AWD can then hang off the gearbox transfer case as now..

Sure but that won't work as easily for Mustang...