2018 EcoSport Production Information

ice-capades

Just curious, since Production of North America EcoSport Vehicles began a few months ago in India, when it the first Automobile RORO Ship setting sail with the first load of vehicles. With 30 to 60 days at Sea, you would figure the first of the shipments would be on there way?

Just curious, since Production of North America EcoSport Vehicles began a few months ago in India, when it the first Automobile RORO Ship setting sail with the first load of vehicles. With 30 to 60 days at Sea, you would figure the first of the shipments would be on there way?

ice-capades mentioned in another thread he had 2 in Transit without an ETA. He's in New England somewhere.

Biggest RORO Vehicle Transport Ships have 11 Decks an can hold 4,500 Cars. Not sure the size Ship Ford intends to use but since its a 2 month Voyage, you would think they would maximize the Trip with a Huge Ship.

think of the dumbest solution you can find. Now imagine one at least twice as dumb. That's the one Ford will go with.
  • Like 1

The first year Production of the 2018 EcoSport destined for North America from India will probably be the last. The logistics are ridiculous. Ford has excess capacity at one of its North American Assembly Plants to produce this CUV in either the US, Canada, or Mexico. Shipping by Rail is faster an less expensive then taking a Sea Cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

The first of the RORO Ships heading for North America with the initial load of 2018 Ford EcoSports must be somewhere now at Sea. Curious what Port the first shipment will be unloaded? December is but a week away an if the Launch is to be expected sometime in Jan 18`, they must have set Sail by now. Anyone tracking the Ships on a GPS or following their Voyage on "Shipping Lanes"? Surprised someone on one of the Ships hasn't` leaked a few Photos on Social Media.

Transit Connect now assembled at Kansas City MAP where previously they built Ford Escape & Mazda Tribute. EcoSports headed for SouthEast arriving eventually at Port Canaveral near Melbourne, FL

no. The full size Transit is assembled in Kansas City. The Transit Connect is assembled in Valencia, Spain. MAP has nothing to do with either.

2018 Ford EcoSport Ports of Entry:
US EcoSport orders will enter the country at 5 different locations. Ports entering the country on the

west side will require approximately 30 days on water, and ports on the east side will require
approximately 60 days on water.

West Coast Ports (30 Days on Water)
Port of Portland, Oregon
Port of San Francisco

East Coast Ports (60 Days on Water)
Port Canaveral, Florida
Port of Newark, New Jersey
Port of Sparrows Point, Maryland

You could have posted the numbers. Here they are and the hwy mileage is awful.

27/29 - 28 combined. A Focus with the same drivetrain is 27/38. Honda HR-V is 28/34. What happened?

Curb weight?

EcoSport

FWD 1.0L EcoBoost 3060

4WD 2.0L Ti-VCT 3327

Focus

2,800–3,243 lb

no. The full size Transit is assembled in Kansas City. The Transit Connect is assembled in Valencia, Spain. MAP has nothing to do with either.

I stand corrected, true the Full Size Transit is built in KC an the smaller Transit Connect (now) Assembled in Spain. I believe when they first were introduced to North America they were built in Turkey? The Kansas City Plant became available after they moved Escape production to the Louisville Plant.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Order update FWD Titanium Winter PKG

08/XX/2017 Order was input by dealer

02/21/2018 Assembly Complete

02/22/2018 Released From Factory

03/09/2018 Shipboard

03/25/2018 Mikawa Seaport Japan

04/08/2018 San Francisco Seaport, My estimate for 30 days at sea.

04/16/2018 At Los Angeles area dealer, My estimate

04/17/2018 Ready for delivery to customer. My estimate

Apparently the RO-RO ship is continually loading and unloading at multiple ports. Since leaving India it has visited Singapore, Indonesia, and 4 ports in Japan.

Edward

Edited by Edwardwd

It appears at least for the time being, all US destined EcoSports will arrive on the West Coast an be shipped by Rail across the Country. 30 day estimate for West Coast arrivals versus 60 days for Eastern Seaboard? Rail will be more cost effective an quicker then going through the Suez canal or going around Africa. I`d say that 99% of EcoSport Buyers will either find what they are looking for in the Dealer Stock or make a swap with another Dealer for the exact EcoSport your looking for. I had my Dealer in West Palm Beach, FL locate an swap for the EcoSport I wanted from a Dealer 140 miles away in FT Meyers, FL. Rather get my Vehicle in 72 hours with 145 miles on the Odometer then wait months for the Build & Ship. Might as well order a MY 2019 with that lead time.

• Like 1

Big change in my guesstimate for delivery of my EcoSport to the Los Angeles area. Boarded the RO RO ship March 9th in India then visited many ports including at least 5 in Japan. Finally left Nagoya Japan today but it's heading to the Panama Canal instead of the West coast! This will add at least three extra weeks. This vehicle was originally input last August and my latest guess is delivery by May 15th.

Going back to 1976 I've taken delivery of an ordered vehicle in as few as 5 weeks including shipping across the country.

Edward

Edited by Edwardwd
  • Like 1