Frustrated, Ford Gives Investors Few Answers

These stood out,

The meeting came days after Ford’s directors held a “strategy session” to review the company’s priorities.

Despite several years of revenue growth and profits, Fields’ vision for Ford’s future has failed to generate

much excitement on Wall Street. Shares in the nation’s No. 2 automaker were comparatively unmoved

by two years of record profitability in 2015 and 2016. On July 1, 2014, when Ford assumed the Helm, Ford

shares closed at $17.41; on Thursday, Ford closed at $11.01, a 37 percent decline over the course of his

leadership.

Though Ford will have paid out $15.3 billion to shareholders this year since restarting its dividend program in 2012,

shareholders pressed the executives about value, growth and returns on investment.

Edited by jpd80

I mean, it's no secret that the Ford family controls the company via the stock structure, and it's no secret that said structure keeps institutional investors and serial a-holes like Icahn away, which will keep the stock underperforming. This is like throwing a brick through your living room window and complaining that the glass broke.

Sorry, "frustrated investors," but my give a damn's busted.

• Like 1

The most ridiculous notion out there is that someone who buys equity on the secondary market is entitled to have a say in how a company operates.

So really all investors are buying is an opportunity to gain value out of a possible future market speculation.

I bet the overwhelming majority of Ford stock was released decades ago and any monies raised by them was used up long ago.

Are they making money via dividend? Whats the problem?? Oh, that's right ....the stock has to artificially soar so that a select few can make a killing while killing the company.

Yep, I love my Ford dividend. Believe me, it’s substantial, and have no intention of ever selling my Ford stock.

Every year some a*****e shareholder floats a proposal to do away with the Ford-Family Class B shares, and every year it’s voted down. That’s the first thing I do when my ballot comes in the mail, vote down that stupid proposal.

I own Ford stock because it’s a family-run company. That means a lot to me.

Edited by mackinaw
  • Like 3

Ford doesn't have the disciplined strategies now that Alan Mulally had when he worked there. No surprise Ford has few answers for investors.

The "mindset" of Mr. Mulally has been embraced by Mr. Fields and FoMoCo.....the only answer investors need to hear is the sustainability of the company and the paying of dividends on the investment made....the problem is, some of those "investors" want to short the stock to make a short term killing. That is what the problem with Wall Street is...too much "get it now" greed and no long term strategy to make solid ROI....

Edited by twintornados

I keep using my dividend from Ford stock to buy more of it. I'm not concerned about short term growth. Which is part of the reason I bought it.

I have a few shares of Amazon (well very little) and it keeps going up and up...which makes me concerned, but I only have about 10 shares, so it won't make that big of a dent in my IRA if it does crater some how.

• Like 1

Ford doesn't have the disciplined strategies now that Alan Mulally had when he worked there. No surprise Ford has few answers for investors.

Really?

Ford Motor now has $28 Billion in cash and cash equivalent, you don't get to that level by being undisciplined.

If anything, I'd say that Ford followed Alan Mulally's playbook a little too closely when the boom was on.

That limit on production prevented Ford from making even bigger profits but it also keeps the company

buzzing at a sustainable level.

Edited by jpd80

I keep using my dividend from Ford stock to buy more of it. I'm not concerned about short term growth. Which is part of the reason I bought it.

I have a few shares of Amazon (well very little) and it keeps going up and up...which makes me concerned, but I only have about 10 shares, so it won't make that big of a dent in my IRA if it does crater some how.

So the dividend paid by Ford is another way of growing your portfolio for when the stock price eventually rises.

Great to see you hnging in there as a long term investor and not giving in to the short term trader mentality.

any monies raised by them was used up long ago.

Precisely.

Buying on the secondary market funnels exactly zero dollars back to Ford, and yet these people who would not hesitate to call such behavior by other socioeconomic strata 'leeching', feel that Ford should enrich them at the expense of Ford's long-term viability.

• Like 2

and from the article quote:

Though Ford will have paid out $15.3 billion to shareholders this year since restarting its dividend program in 2012,

shareholders pressed the executives about value, growth and returns on investment.

and since the Ford family own 40% of all stock thanks to original unadulterated B Stock, they received roughly $6 Billion...

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

and from the article quote:

and since the Ford family own 40% of all stock thanks to original unadulterated B Stock, they received roughly $6 Billion...

Not exactly.

They have 40% of the voting rights, and, IIRC, 5% of the float.

Also their stock may pay a different dividend amount? I'm not sure about that.

Edited by RichardJensen

Who cares what ford says to investors..it is not a bad stock to have in ones portfolio..your not going to get rich off ford stock...i keep some around just cause its ford stock and it makes me feel good...

Yes i think they have place too much emphasis on lectric future when the future is definetly dino...they all made the mistake thinking opec matters..it does not...its usa and canadian shell...its why we built the pipeline...u want ford stock buy it..you dont want than dont buy...tryin to time markets is futile..but i think ford is well worth keepin around

Exactly why I bought it. Great dividend and I reinvest it right back into more Ford stock. Easy way to bring the invested amount down while gaining more stock to obtain more dividends.

Sorry, got carried away with thoughts of all the stock splits until I saw an article that explained the situation

for the Fords in 2014, over four quarters $0.60 a share would be worth $42 million to the family.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Yes i think they have place too much emphasis on lectric future when the future is definetly dino...they all made the mistake thinking opec matters..it does not...its usa and canadian shell...its why we built the pipeline...u want ford stock buy it..you dont want than dont buy...tryin to time markets is futile..but i think ford is well worth keepin around

I dunno, I was thinking the same thing till after I got a ride in a Tesla...it boils down to if they can make electric cars profitable at a sub $40K price point.