Did Chachi get punted?!?!

Jim Hackett, a former CEO of Steelcase Inc. and one-time Ford director who now serves as president

of Ford Smart Mobility LLC, will become president and CEO of the Dearborn-based automaker.

I'd love to know the lead up to this between Fields and the board.

Evidence continues to mount, Ford executives have said privately in recent weeks, that the automaker

under Fields failed to move quickly enough to realign its business to maximize growth, to boost return

on invested capital and to reassure investors that Ford is effectively managing its transition from

a century-old automaker to what it calls an “auto-and-mobility company.”

Was Fields too conservative with his sales targets........

Edited by jpd80

I'd love to know the lead up to this between Fields and the board.

Was Fields too conservative with his sales targets........

I think there were many issues that led up to this primarily autonomous cars- especially those without steering wheels and pedals. Surveys show more and more cynicism toward this technology. It reminds me of what led to Ford's demise in the early 2000s- Nassar was investing more and more in recycling technology and less in the product. At the end of the day, customers want Broncos, Rangers (and not have to wait four years to develop them), perhaps a new RWD Town Car and Mark for Lincoln. They do not want gimmicks or "what if" technology. Wall Street feels the same way. This obsession with autonomy and mobility is sapping resources away from what drives profits- showroom traffic, new product, and sales.

• Like 2

I think there were many issues that led up to this primarily autonomous cars- especially those without steering wheels and pedals. Surveys show more and more cynicism toward this technology. It reminds me of what led to Ford's demise in the early 2000s- Nassar was investing more and more in recycling technology and less in the product. At the end of the day, customers want Broncos, Rangers (and not have to wait four years to develop them), perhaps a new RWD Town Car and Mark for Lincoln. They do not want gimmicks or "what if" technology. Wall Street feels the same way. This obsession with autonomy and mobility is sapping resources away from what drives profits- showroom traffic, new product, and sales.

Its not that...its Tesla pushing the market towards that. Too many people are enamored with Tesla and their stock. Not all auto manufactures can make $100K plus cars in small numbers.

Driverless cars and the like are window dressing much like 25 MPG SUVs that Bill Ford promoted back in 2005 or so...a guidepost that may or may not be reached.

Overall the next few years for the Auto industry as a whole should be interesting. If Tesla folds or gets taken over by someone else, I believe we will see the auto market normalize to a point that its not being driven pure by cutting edge tech that isn't ready for prime time.

• Like 1

Its not that...its Tesla pushing the market towards that. Too many people are enamored with Tesla and their stock. Not all auto manufactures can make $100K plus cars in small numbers.

Driverless cars and the like are window dressing much like 25 MPG SUVs that Bill Ford promoted back in 2005 or so...a guidepost that may or may not be reached.

Overall the next few years for the Auto industry as a whole should be interesting. If Tesla folds or gets taken over by someone else, I believe we will see the auto market normalize to a point that its not being driven pure by cutting edge tech that isn't ready for prime time.

Yet, they put the mobility guy in charge.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say all people are enamored with Tesla. It's the rich and Wall Street, which influence these types of decisions. Tesla was just downgraded by Morgan Stanley last week. I still think they will go bankrupt or be sold right before.

My problem with Fields is that it looked like he didn't have a plan. He wanted to get involved in everything but you have to be pragmatic about it. Sure, nobody knows what the future holds but I would say thing to build around is premise that reliance of ICE engine will be eventually fading. I still think they need to bridge the gap between straight ICE to hybrid then to electric. Mobility? Sure, I guess. The bike thing, I probably wouldn't have done that.

Let's just hope that Hackett can make Ford a flatter organization. When you don't have layer upon layer of management, things tend to get done quicker and in a much more efficient manner. I have no doubt that Ford has the talent and the skill to make it through this automotive shift. The leadership is what is in question.

Edited by jcartwright99

Car guys are not going to see RWD Town Cars, Crown Vics, Mark #'s, or manual trans station wagons coming from the new CEO.

Caddy's new RWD 'flagship' [which is only available with a 4 cyl in pure RWD] is barely making any sales. And the Germans, famous for "drivers cars" are selling more and more commuter SUV's with "drivers" peeking at text messages. Their buyers could not care less about "twisties" or RWD purity.

Car guys are not going to see RWD Town Cars, Crown Vics, Mark #'s, or manual trans station wagons coming from the new CEO.

Caddy's new RWD 'flagship' [which is only available with a 4 cyl in pure RWD] is barely making any sales. And the Germans, famous for "drivers cars" are selling more and more commuter SUV's with "drivers" peeking at text messages. Their buyers could not care less about "twisties" or RWD purity.

The CT6 is gaining traction in the market. It eclipsed 2,000 sales in the US last month.

If "car guys" had bought Panthers new instead of used, Ford would've green-lighted a genuine successive RWD chassis to respond to market demand. Instead, the "Panther Mafia" consumed all the P71s they could find at auction.

I kinda understand the loyalty to that platform, but again...if it was so great, why so few retail sales?

630 is the only person who talks about Panthers anymore. I have bought 3 - one brand new in 2004 - and currently have a 2010 Grand Marquis I bought in 2014 because it was my last chance to buy one with low miles. I know it's not coming back, I know Ford will never sell the Focus wagon here again, and I know CD6 probably isn't coming - and if it does, it's probably only for crossovers.

I'm wondering about Fields and all the top secret advanced product design he is fully aware of and how that is handled. The firing had to hurt his image and any future employment opportunities. He's in a tough spot. However, he is now a millionaire...and could easily retire in comfort.

I'm wondering about Fields and all the top secret advanced product design he is fully aware of and how that is handled. The firing had to hurt his image and any future employment opportunities. He's in a tough spot. However, he is now a millionaire...and could easily retire in comfort.

If he wants to maintain his ability to retire in comfort, he will keep those secrets to himself.

I'm sure his parachute will be plenty golden, and he'll have no trouble paying his bills.

The CT6 is gaining traction in the market. It eclipsed 2,000 sales in the US last month.

That's not true at all. It had 978 sales last month.

Here's this year:

January - 634

February - 802

March - 968

April - 978

And here are last years' numbers (sales started in March):

March - 35

April - 285

May - 697

June - 962

July - 827

August - 1242

September - 1343

October - 1316

November - 1169

December - 1293

So I'm not sure what numbers you were looking at (as no Cadillac vehicle was anywhere near 2,000 last month aside from XT5), but as you can see it hasn't gotten close to 2,000/month since introduction.

• Like 3

Agree 100%.... The people want a RWD bias platform for Lincoln, with some V8, we want lots of things differently than they are.